COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

Agree 100%.

I’m going to get my crystal ball out, and feel free to quote this post, but I think last week was the bottom of deaths nationwide. It’s up, up, and away from here on out.

We’re going to see in the next few weeks an unwinding of all the pent up trends pushing the death rate down.

• The turnaround rate on tests had fallen to 1-2 days. Now it has climbed to a week. This means actual infection rates are growing faster than we’re perceiving.
  • Positive rates have climbed. At the end of May we were maybe getting about 30% of infections. That’s likely fallen to around 20% since the positive rate has more than doubled in many hotspots. This means actual infection rates are growing faster than we’re perceiving.
  • Youngs were getting infected in very reckless situations. Those people are likely to remain asymptomatic/mild, and will be infecting older people in less reckless situations, especially because…
  • Lack of availability of tests means the mild cases are simply not going to know they have COVID. This endangers everyone.
  • Average age of infection was quite low, but will certainly be climbing (appears to be based on Florida data).
  • Every leading indicator (hospital bed usage, ICU usage, etc) is pointed in the wrong direction.
  • The states that have tackled COVID successfully have no more improvements to make.

My guess is 7DMA of 1,000 by the end of July, and 2,000 by the end of August. I hope I’m wrong because that’s a really scary prospect.

3 Likes

It would pleasure me if JWest fell victim and passed from Covid.

1 Like

We still aren’t anywhere near the all is lost moment, so there’s no chance this is the final act.

DMA equals?

I’m curious to see some thoughts from those doing the models on where you think death numbers might get to, particularly in comparison to earlier in the year when things were at their peak in NY.

Here is a screenshot from the projections site I have been using as a reference:

The projection shows things getting worse but still never reaching the highs seen back in April, even at the worst end of the variance.

1 Like

Over 1,000 but under 2,000/day will be my guess for August-September continuously. After that all bets are off.

1 Like

Remember hot weather was going to save us?

5 Likes

Riverman, your Villages posts are the highlights of these threads.

Man if things keep getting worse and there’s no vaccine, I doubt I’ll be home for Christmas. Have to have Christmas by Skype

5 Likes

I see Joe West’s calls off the field are just as bad as his calls on the field.

13 Likes

Unless today was an outlier, we already at 900 dead per day.

But still not as bad as his music.

1 Like

The villages being hit w covid is the highlight of tt.

1 Like

Went to the dentist. Had to take my temperature. I need a root canal. Should I do that or get a replacement?

7DMA 7 day moving average. Sometimes it 7RMA where the R is rolling

https://twitter.com/jeremyswallace/status/1280624247874834433?s=21

I presume Abbott was referring to himself in the third person?

6 Likes

Most of the people you’re arguing with are bots and Russians anyway.

1 Like

A replacement what? Dentist? Tooth?

For the former, idk maybe. For the latter, no, absolutely not. Implants are insanely expensive and usually a last resort for a tooth beyond saving.

1 Like

Get absolutely fucked, Greg

2 Likes

Your dentist sounds fine. No need to replace him.

2 Likes

Would it be a terrible short-hand guesstimate method for anticipating deaths to just take the daily new infection numbers and multiply them by the CFR? Or is that going to lead to some kind of gross over/underestimate of what we have coming down the pipe?

Golfing today I used a cloth mask and put it on around the parking lot/clubhouse area (didn’t go inside) and then took it off and folded it carefully in my pocket so the inside didn’t touch the outside. If we crossed paths with others I took it out carefully and put it back on, then repeated the process. I assume as long as the inside doesn’t touch the outside or a contaminated surface, you’re good.

I was considering doing the chin thing, but then if droplets got on my chin/neck, I might just be giving them a free ride to my mouth by going back and forth.

Yes they do and I’m not convinced yet that they’re wrong. (Opening is wrong and bad policy, but politically it polls well, even in blue states.)

“It’s everywhere now, it’s too late to control it. Look around the world, nobody can. Suck it up, buttercup, USA#1 doesn’t stop for snowflakes.”

Is that Trump funded or are they smoking some good shit? I still think we hit 250K by election day, but I haven’t broken it down much.