COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

Would you consider updating the OP? My understanding is that we now know that bandana style coverings like the first pick are worse than no mask and the third pick with a vent are also discouraged as they only protect the wearer. The Jaanu look promising with multiple layers.

I don’t think I’m able to do that, but am totally fine with a mod putting a note on there that information about what works and what doesn’t has changed since the OP.

I’m curious why would a bandana be worse than no mask? Too much touching?

The idea is the small but not small enough holes in the fabric would aerosolize droplets.

1 Like

I thought that theory was discredited.

1 Like

I made a mistake, was thinking of recent reports about neck gaiters. They’re similar, but made of different material.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/mask-test-duke-covid/2020/08/10/4f2bb888-db18-11ea-b205-ff838e15a9a6_story.html

I have The rise starting Sept1 and lasting for a month. 3% growth rate per day.

Then I have a two week plateau.

Then I go back to a 3% negative growth rate per day. I just do that by default as it matches nicely the curves when LOLAmerica seems to do its best and without any foreknowledge of when we just decide to say F it and open back up I let it just continue to decline as the best case scenario.

Basically I think the next couple of months are already baked in with a new rise followed by a plateau and then a decline. This matches what has occurred in the past.

We open up. We climb. We plateau. We decline. We open up…

The shorter the cycle the higher the next peak in cases (assuming testing doesn’t limit). We don’t seem capable of doing anything other than having a slower increase than in March and we don’t seem to have anyway to steepen the decrease.

2 Likes

No. Just covid cases and a correlation to death. I’m going to assume a very mild flu season as masks and distancing are probably highly effective vs flu. More so vs covid as the infection cycle time is much shorter.

1 Like

it was eerie how flu season just died when covid hit.

Nah. Just science and math.

3 Likes

So you have no proof

2 Likes

My mom is meeting her sister for dinner at an outdoor dining restaurant. I am an asshole for scoffing at her when she told me and asked if I wanted to join them?

Pretty much. Eating outdoors with tables reasonably spaced seems OK to me–at least here in NH.

4 Likes

Couldn’t be me. Even if it is “safe” for a person dining it’s a lot less for the employees. No thanks.

2 Likes

I’d pass too. I’m takeout only for the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

Lol you think holding Congress accountable for the Iraq War is cancel culture

I only recently stopped eating indoors, due to rising local cases.One more vote for outdoor.

Employees are at least wearing masks, while customers aren’t.

Sickened at the thought of all the people who had to go into work to serve you during a pandemic

2 Likes

lol, particularly when you’re talking about employees who work for tips. Even if we somehow achieved your ideal: everyone stays home, employer pays their normal wage, that’s still a small fraction of their income.

3 Likes

You stopped eating?

4 Likes