COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

Most Americans still think Czechoslovakia still exists and those that don’t confuse Czechs with Russians.

1 Like

Ohio Gov Dewine reversing ban on hydroxychloroquine in his state now for some reason

Please take all Covid related talk over to the education and career path thread. Thanks.

9 Likes

Sir, this in an Arby’s

2 Likes

The kind of person who can teach themselves programming but cant go through the motions to get a degree is not exactly the kind of person that most managers want to hire. This may change if a bigger chunk of office workforce work from home going forward.

It’ll take about 2 weeks to start showing up tho since there is 5-6 days before testing positive and what not.

Nominees coming fast and furiously of late. Many with some “Potustential”

https://twitter.com/rawstory/status/1289268156897296384?s=21

Somebody enters school with the virus, shows obvious symptoms next day, tests positive that day and school closed.

Education minister promised fully open schools during the first wave and that didn’t happen. If they do open it’ll be like the end of last school year with in-person classes optional. Otherwise it’ll all be online.

Oh, well schools here don’t close for one case (prolly not for 20 cases).

They don’t even tell everyone in the classes with the infected kid; only those within 6 feet.

They had an outbreak at a nursery school here in June. Tends to be that by the time you find one, that kid has already infected at least a class worth of students.

1 Like

Chuckleslovakia exists though

13 Likes

I’m grunching obviously, but this aged well…

3 Likes

I have an operations technology BS which had a ton of CS electives and open electives which I also crammed with programming classes. But none of those classes really taught me much of anything beyond theory. I learned by coding my own shit and by helping maintain legacy systems at work (where my main job was in supply chain and procurement) after we downsized a bunch of times. Once I also got laid off I tried to go into programming full time, but for whatever reason (actually, it was age discrimination) couldn’t land a gig even though I was capable of full stack programming. So now I’m back in operations full time running a global supply chain for a small pharma.

The end.

1 Like

I snapped at two women in the grocery store for not wearing their masks earlier this week. They both quickly and sheepishly put them on. I routinely say, “A little space please” when people get too close, and they can shove their dirty looks up their asses for all I care. If I see something, I am quite willing to say something.

11 Likes

I agree that it’s dumb to insist somebody has a degree if they can otherwise demonstrate experience and competence. But there are definitely coding gigs that legitimately require advanced knowledge of certain subjects. Particularly coding in the sciences.

And beyond just being able to code, it takes a certain level of intelligence to properly understand and grasp a variety of different subjects quickly, at least for certain gigs. I know some really smart people without formal college educations, but for the most part somebody with a formal education is more likely to have a suitable knowledge base and the smarts to succeed. (And I say this as somebody who had no degree until close to 40 y/o yet held many positions that usually required a degree.)

There is also the “nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM” thing going on as well.

Coding fucking sucks and is the downfall of America

2 Likes

Can we excise this and get this thread back on track?

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1289367124289490945?s=20

6 Likes

Yeah we’re just going to keep playing whack-a-mole here.

A bunch of states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike. “Oh, fuck!” They add restrictions, cases plateau. “YAY, it’s over!” Other states reopen, cases spike.

All they care about is whatever will trick people into dying for the Dow.

3 Likes

@BestOf

2 Likes