COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

Do these folks have a bail fund set up? I’d like to throw some money their way.

I wonder how much dining/drinking plays into this. Once folks take off the mask to consume mass quantities, I assume they just leave them off for the whole meal/bar experience.

2 Likes

There were districts in the west of the country that went weeks in the Czech Republic without a single infection. Now there are only two districts in the country without an active case.

A month ago, Prague was averaging 7-8 cases a day. Over the last week, it’s been almost 50 cases/day.

Combine that with a lack of employees in the hygiene department in the country to handle the sudden extra work and I don’t see how another lockdown doesn’t happen. Nothing but arrogance to think that we could contain a pandemic to the point where another lockdown would be unnecessary.

Can confirm morale is low among staff at my hospital too. Lots of call outs which leads to short-term staffing catastrophes.

First they cancelled elective surgeries and furloughed some nurses. Then censuses picked up higher than anticipated, requiring more staff, but they didn’t want to offer staffing incentives for some nurses while others were sitting home. Now they’re bringing in contract travel nurses, who’ll make approximately 175% of what I’ll make for the same work. In addition to everyone being tense and stressed, lots of people are reacting cynically.

More than a few people are getting burned out and moving on to other things.

20 Likes

I have an ex girlfriend who is a traveling RN right now in Wyoming. She told me she has been getting offers for nursing positions in Florida for like 6k$ per week. That gave me a pretty good idea that nursing morale must be horrendous down here. I feel for y’all, too. This must be awful.

1 Like

I’ve been joking with friends that substitute teachers are going to be getting offers for 4K a week in a few months.

Yeah travel nursing is something that really appeals to me… I’m looking into it more seriously once I have some more clinical experience.

3 Likes

Let me know when that happens

I feel for your wife

I feel like I’m in it alone a lot because people around me think it’s a hoax but I’m just sitting at home. I can’t imagine being at the hospital trying to save these lives and having to watch people suffer then die alone while people around me call it a hoax.

It’s a travesty and can’t be good for healthcare workers’ mental health.

3 Likes

Looks like a sweet gig for her, she bought an rv and travels around the country with her husband and young kids. She loves it

Business man skills though…

https://twitter.com/HeidiNBC/status/1289171718590746624?s=20

3 Likes

Yeah I’m still optimistic that masks alone can get this under control.

But that goes out the window when they go to bars and nightclubs and indoor dining and the masks go off.

Masks everywhere in public, which means no indoor and no outdoor non-distanced dining/drinking, should hopefully be enough, but that’s not what Europe is doing, so we don’t know for sure.

That sucks.

They basically handled it in one of the worst ways possible making an already impossible job harder.

Keep up the good work, you are helping real people, making an actual difference; try to ignore the assholes sitting around downplaying this while you bust your ass and risk your health to save lives.

3 Likes

Meh, travel nursing is a rough gig. There’s usually a reason a place is short on workers, and it’s not because they pay well enough for whatever conditions they work in.

Yeah, I will say that when they send out the bat-signal to ask for extra help, you can usually be assured that staffing is a shit show hospital-wide and it won’t be an easy, stress free shift.

I imagine places that are offering the prices they are for travel nurses are doing it for a reason.

Still, the idea of seeing more of the country (and making better money) definitely appeals to me. I’m not married, no kids, nothing tying me down. I work with tons of nurses who have family commitments and dream about being able to travel “once the kids are off in college” or whatever.

1 Like

In NYC people were kind of bitter towards a lot of the travel nurses who were making these ungodly amounts of money, but we needed them still. Overall they were great, except for that one who made a big youtube video about how we were killing people. The FEMA/Navy nurses were the best.

I can’t imagine how ridiculous it would have been to be furloughed just before that.

1 Like

Those selfish and stupid people are not in charge of your pandemic response.

4 Likes

I think I’m out of outrage. I just don’t have any anymore. Maybe you need to have hope to be outraged by something?

2 Likes

My wife’s facility is at roughly half capacity and the COVID outbreak is over… but honestly this is probably the last nursing job she’ll ever work, and she’ll probably quit in the next few months.

The way nursing staff get treated in healthcare is honestly super shameful. No way any child of mine will ever do a traditionally female job (unless something major changes) if I have anything to say about it. Being a teacher or a nurse is for suckers in 2020 at least.

1 Like

What do you mean by this? Nursing is a pretty good gig with a wide variety of sub-careers to go into. There are bad places to work though for sure.

1 Like