COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

At least you’d be getting paid a sane amount of money for a super difficult stressful shift… and after doing that for a few months you’d have the money saved up to go do whatever it is that recharges you.

Even an ‘easy’ nursing shift doesn’t seem to be particularly easy… and the compensation sucks under normal circumstances.

Nursing has been a fantastic gig for me.

Don’t get me wrong, sometimes there’s lots of (literal) shit to put up with,

but I’ll always have a recession-proof job, for as much or as little work as I want, anywhere I could ever want to live.

Every time I wipe a butt I say to myself, “at least this is another day where I’m not waiting tables for a $20 lunch shift losing a piece of my soul every time I come to work.”

8 Likes

I wouldn’t want to be a teacher in the states. That’s like 5 jobs in 1.

1 Like

Not compared to other activities with similar skill levels and levels of work. It’s not what something is in absolute terms it’s what it is compared to the other options. Nursing and teaching are both hot garbage because they traditionally had a captive work force made up of overqualified women.

And that’s how most nurses justify it. By comparing it to jobs that have a totally different level of responsibility/replaceability. Servers, like the rest of the underclass jobs, are also grossly underpaid ofc.

What do you say is a similar skill levels and levels of work? Nurses make 80-120k per year in my old area easily. That’s not bad at all for a career that doesn’t require a bachelors.

LPN/LVN’s aren’t making 80-120k anywhere you can get a 1BR apartment for less than 3000 a month. Those are ER/ICU/surgical RN’s with hard bachelors degree+ education. They literally only make that kind of money in NYC/San Fransisco. Here in Austin that’s 50-60k a year unless you’re in management. It was less in Louisville.

1 Like

oh we’re talking about LPNs? I thought we were talking about RNs.

Well… yeah that’s very different. You still don’t have to get a bachelors to get an RN (although it probably helps a lot) either to get a job in NYC. Regardless, a bachelor level degree for a job at 80-120k isn’t really out of place either.

There’s a lot of bad medical jobs out there that work you to shit. There are good ones too though.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article244625502.html

Florida confirms 257 coronavirus deaths, hitting a record for the fourth day in a row

Florida’s Department of Health on Friday confirmed 9,007 additional cases of COVID-19, bringing the state’s known total to 470,386. There were also 257 Florida resident deaths announced, breaking a fatality record for the fourth straight day.

The statewide resident death toll is now at 6,843.

Let’s just make it associates degree RN’s. Starting pay in Austin at a hospital for them is 25 an hour and it tops out at 30 when they’ve got a few years of experience down.

The thing that makes nursing suck isn’t the absolute compensation which is in line with what people with easier bachelors than nursing generally make… the thing that makes nursing suck is that it’s a lot of risky, difficult, and stressful work for extremely mediocre money.

And I’m very confident that being a bus driver is a better career track than being a nurse in NYC. The pension and benefits are radically better and the job is massively easier.

EDIT: Also nursing has basically no scale to it (this is my wife’s big problem) other than going in for more education. You’ll never get paid a single extra dollar for being a better than crap nurse and other than becoming a manager for an extra 5-10k a year there is no such thing as career progression. This radically reduced upside is a HUGE disadvantage vs many other careers and is a legacy of that captive workforce it used to have.

Just learn to code obviously.

2 Likes

Well, we’ve reached an impasse if a 50k a year job for someone who doesn’t need a bachelors is nothing. While there are plenty of risky difficult and stressful nursing jobs that’s certainly not true for everyone.

“And I’m very confident that being a bus driver is a better career track than being a nurse in NYC. The pension and benefits are radically better and the job is massively easier.”

This is just wrong. Hell, if you work at a NYCHC hospital your going to be part of the same NYCERs pension plan.

I’m not at all convinced that sitting at an outdoor table 6-10 feet away from another outdoor table is safe. And at most places I’ve seen, that would be generous social distancing.

I think this is a larger problem where health officials give guidelines that might, in a best case scenario, be sufficient, and then businesses half ass compliance with the guidelines. Oh our tables are 6’ apart, but that doesn’t account for the 250 lb guy at each table with their chairs pushed out, or the wait staff constantly walking through the seating area, circulating air between tables.

3 Likes

FYP

Grifting right wing idiots is the new coding.

2 Likes

I agree and I won’t eat outdoors at a place and think if it could work it would need to be much further than 10’ apart and people would need to put masks back on when the server came around.

In other words, we really shouldn’t be doing it outdoors either.

1 Like

It’s really important for us to remember that certain front line medical personnel, including nurses, will not strike because of their commitment to their patients which depend upon them 24/7.

It’s also really important to understand that only one thing can make things better for these heroic and principled folks we all depend on, directly or indirectly: increased worker control of the means of health care.

Which puts the ball directly into our court. Us, as in civil society, need to step it up. We need to start striking, and take other NVDA, in support of these front line medical folks. We depend on them to keep us alive… they depend on us to keep them safe and sane,

11 Likes

Pretty rich Commentary coming from him but it does represent several new nominees and a Winnar

https://twitter.com/gregabbott_tx/status/1288984635662376962?s=21

Can we at least let them finish writing Shakespeare’s latest sonnett before we put them to work developing a vaccine?

It is definitely the blurst of times.

12 Likes

What would this action be?

Also, you should be aware that nurses have pretty strong unions in general and have striked before.