COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

Assume you can’t go? All pulling for your family that he stabilizes quickly.

2 Likes

Basically what I’ve been saying about the leading edge of this second wave. Or whatever you want to call it - the wave where people weren’t caught completely unaware.

The big unknown is how much the case popuation creeps towards a more representative sample of the actual population. It makes sense that it won’t get to 100% of what a “caught unaware” population would be - as at least some people are taking this very seriously.

Best of luck to you and him.

1 Like

Oh no. It seems like a common story is that one day of feeling better, then it gets worse - with a lot of people of various severities of the infection. I hope your Dad gets better.

1 Like

The only the young thing was never really a thing. When the case density gets high it’s unavoidable. We don’t have separate bubbles for nursing homes. Those young people work in them. It’s inevitable.

Well supposedly the median age of cases in mid-July in FL was 38 or something.

Since Memorial Day the youngs have more or less been out doing anything their local govt will let them do, and the olds/at-risk have been largely isolating. So it stands to reason these current waves in FL/TX/AZ would skew young.

With most of these ideas I’m really just dead-reckoning a lot of stuff based on common sense, what people I know are doing, what I see around me, and what I hear people are doing from multiple forums. So it’s admittedly not like I’m scraping tons of data.

But btw dead reckoning/common sense/looking at what works had a few of us here big on masks way before the CDC or WHO. So I believe common sense extrapolated out to ideas does work.

Yea it sounds like a lot of people that go downhill do so in the 7-9 day mark, which is right where he’s at.

2 Likes

How old is your Dad? Any health conditions?

sorry man best wishes to your family if that helps any

1 Like

jeez, I thought dogs couldn’t get it.

He’s 61, has high blood pressure, and maybe some other minor heart issues.

2 Likes

Fuck me man, hope he comes through.

Trump just said Australia has a tremendous problem with Covid. 800 new cases a day is not good but our population is roughly that of Florida and they might hit that in deaths a day before this is over.

Victoria Police knocked on 500 doors yesterday of people who had positive tests for COVID and were supposed to be isolating. A quarter of them were not home. Just in case you were under the impression that the population here are any less selfish and stupid.

11 Likes

That adjustment to the number of active cases in the Czech Republic made 4 days ago is on pace to be made up by Saturday.

There was a lockdown here when the situation wasn’t this bad. I have no idea how schools can be opened in this situation.

https://www.idnes.cz/zpravy/domaci/koronavirus-cesko-pocet-pripadu-narust-tisic.A200731_061337_domaci_rapc

Translation: 998 cases in the last 4 days. Not since mid-April has there been a 4-day window of new cases greater than that.

Basically, it’s second wave time.

Agree people are stupid and selfish everywhere but at least we are knocking on doors and enforcing lockdowns.

5 Likes

No great news…

• New restrictions have come into force in the north of England , including people not being able to mix with other households. The measures apply in Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire and East Lancashire after increase in cases. Households may go to hospitality, for instance bars and pubs, but new guidance will make clear that two households should not go to hospitality together.
  • Some French cities are expected to introduce additional face mask requirements. From Friday in Orleans, in central France, masks will be required in open-air markets and after 9pm along the Loire river, where crowds of people have been gathering in the evenings. The mayors of Bayonne and the nearby Atlantic resort of Biarritz also announced face masks would be compulsory in their city centres starting next week.
  • China recorded its highest daily total of new Covid-19 cases since early March, the vast majority of them in the north-western region of Xinjiang. Nationally there were 127 new cases, including four imported and 123 local transmissions. There were 112 in Xinjiang and 11 were in the eastern province of Liaoning.
  • Vietnam has reported 45 new coronavirus infections in the city of Danang, marking the country’s biggest single-day jump in cases, as the health ministry sent more health experts to the central city in a bid to combat the outbreak.
  • The Philippines president, Rodrigo Duterte, says restrictions in the capital Manila will remain until mid-August. He also announced free vaccines to combat a surge in infections that has overwhelmed health care workers and facilities.
  • Brazil’s president Jair Bolsonaro said on Thursday he was taking antibiotics for an infection that left him feeling weak. Reuters reported that he was chuckling in an online video about “mould” in his lungs, having spent weeks in isolation after catching coronavirus. The president’s wife, Michelle Bolsonaro, tested positive on Thursday, according to a statement from the presidential palace.
  • Mexico’s health ministry posted 639 new deaths from coronavirus on Thursday bring the country’s toll to 46,000, almost the same as the UK, which has the third-highest death toll worldwide from the pandemic.
  • The Australian state of Victoria recorded its second worst day of the pandemic, with 627 new cases. The state is halfway through a six-week lockdown and the premier said health experts would be reviewing the data over the next two days to consider whether further restrictions may be needed.
  • The World Health Organization has warned that spikes in coronavirus transmission in a number of countries were being driven by young people “letting down their guard”. “Young people are not invincible,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual news conference in Geneva on Thursday.
1 Like

France’s health authorities have confirmed a “marked increase” in the number of coronavirus cases of 54% across the mainland - excluding overseas territories - in a week.

The increase covered all age groups, but Public Santé France, the public health authority, said the rise was particularly worrying in those aged between 20 and 30 years. There was also an increase in the number of patients admitted to hospital with Covid-19, though the figures for those requiring intensive care remained stable.

As France prepared for a heatwave, people were urged to keep their masks on despite the suffocating temperatures expected to reach 41C in areas.

The number of new cases in the previous 24 hours was 1,377, only s lightly fewer than the previous day which was a record since May, and the number of clusters under investigation rose by 10 to 151. There were 16 deaths in hospital in the previous 24 hours taking the total number of deaths in France attributed to the coronavirus to 30,254.

In its report for week 30 (20-26 July) Santé Publique France said the number of positive tests for coronavirus in France - including the overseas departments - had risen for the third week in a row and the increase was “significant”. Just under 458,000 patients were tested and 6,407 found positive, an increase of 44% on the number of positive tests the previous week.

Of those tested, just under 440,000 were resident in mainland France, known as l’Hexagone , and 5,592 tested positive, an increase of 54% on the number of positive tests the previous week.

In short, the number of tests carried out increased by 27%, while the number of positive results increased by 54%.

It declared:

In week 30 the increase in new positive cases is much higher than the increase in the number of tests carried out.

More than half (51%) of those who tested positive showed no symptoms. Of those tested positive 69% were aged between 15-44 and of those the biggest increase was among the 20-25 year olds.

The R-number - the number of people one person with the virus will infect - rose from 1.35 to 1.42.

The increase in clusters was due to large family gatherings as well as public and private events.

Santé Publique France says the increase is due to the “drop in the systematic adoption of prevention measures (keeping a minimum 1m distance, not shaking hands and stopping embraces)”.

Would be much easier to point out if Trump says something that is actually accurate.

It seems obvious at this point to me that OPEN FOR BUSINESS is by default a scenario the virus thrives in, even with restrictions. We are seeing it happen all over the world where we have surges happening everywhere. They obviously pale in comparison to what is happening in USA #1. The real quesion for me is will Europe have a second lockdown or will they follow in our footsteps.

Also I think it is clear that masks alone won’t cut it. The mask compliance percentages in non-Scandanavian Europe are sky high and this is the region that is currently seeing the start of the second wave.

In reports from the front lines news my wife is ready to quit nursing after 15 years working in ICUs/Trauma units. She has sent me screenshots with the names erased of conversations with other nurses and the general consensus is the working conditions are horrible and watching people horribly suffer for a month and die over and over and over is causing severe emotional trauma in some. Add in a lot of family and friends for everyone being some nut who thinks it’s a hoax, or overblown, or a government conspiracy and I think there is a real sense that they are fighting it alone. Even her mom made some post yesterday defending people’s choice to not wear a mask. It feels like a slap in the face to her.

The amount of damage letting this thing rage must be doing to our medical personnel country wide must be enormous. If we ever do get to the other side of this I expect some will leave the profession and it will be very hard to recruit new nurses. We already had a nursing shortage prior to this. I think the national conversation has moved away from the enormous strain on medical professionals and it really shouldn’t. It will have long lasting impacts for many.

22 Likes