COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

I think what folks are wanting is the breakdown of the 100 by severity of their covid symptoms.

Several of the worst people in Congress sit near him. I want to feel bad…

This is what the paper (which was linked) provides. I’m not sure what more detail you could want?

Most patients recovered at home (n = 67), with severity of the acute COVID-19 illness ranging from asymptomatic (n = 18) to minor to moderate symptoms (n = 49). A total of 33 severely unwell patients (33%) required hospitalization. In this group, 2 patients (2%) underwent mechanical ventilation, and 17 (17%) underwent noninvasive ventilation with positive airway pressure. Oxygen supplementation was required in 28 patients. In addition to respiratory support, patients received antiviral (n = 1), antibiotic (n = 15), and steroid (n = 8) therapy.

I don’t think it’s reasonable to try to differentiate different degrees of “minor to moderate symptoms” for people who did not require hospitalization.

My nickname for him has always been Gohmert Pyle.

Check out his wikipedia for his life/career arc. It will astonish you.

Is one Tom Cotton?

In good news, no Phillies tested positive and Juan Soto has been cleared! Things are looking up for mlb.

1 Like

No, he’s in the Senate.

No, Cotton is a Senator.

The reason lots of deplorables are near Gohmert is the Judiciary Committee traditionally attracts ideologues due to the subject matter.

That’s right. Ty

I want to know if any of the the asymptomatic or mild symptoms people have permanent heart damage.

I’d like to see the severity of covid symptoms vs. CT scan results (and whatever other post-infection tests they ran). It’s only 100 people. Is the raw data available?

I’d also like it clearly spelled out what got one into the study. It seems like it’s people who showed up at the Frankfurt hospital. Why would asymptomatic people be in that pool? I’m sure there’s a reason but it would be nice to know.

There is this:

They also do not represent patients during acute COVID-19 infection or those who are completely asymptomatic with COVID-19.

But also this, which is quite scary:

Unlike these previous studies, our findings reveal that significant cardiac involvement occurs independently of the severity of original presentation and persists beyond the period of acute presentation, with no significant trend toward reduction of imaging or serological findings during the recovery period.

14 Likes

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1288535247282483201?s=19

It’s been two weeks to the day since my COVID test. I called the lab just now. They still don’t have my results in. LOLUSA#1

5 Likes

Ok, it’s starting to sound like I’m defending this particular study, which I have no interest in - I’m not one of the authors and I don’t know the authors and I’m not even a medical researcher. But many of your questions are addressed in the study, other than the ability to see their raw data.

If you know that 67/100 people were non-hospitalized and therefore asymptomatic or mild/moderate symptoms, then you can infer that many of them experienced heart issues:

A total of 78 patients recently recovered from COVID-19 (78%) had abnormal CMR findings, including raised myocardial native T1 (n = 73), raised myocardial native T2 (n = 60), myocardial late gadolinium enhancement (n = 32), and pericardial enhancement (n = 22).

If only 33 were hospitalized and all of them had detectable heart damage, then the remaining 45 must have been the asymptomatic/mild/moderate group. So at least 2/3 of the asymptomatic/mild/moderate group experienced heart damage. There’s no data on how many of those were asymptomatic vs. mild vs. moderate, but I’m not convinced that there’s much distinction to be drawn between subjective determinations like mild vs. moderate.

There was a small but significant difference between patients who recovered at home vs in the hospital for native T1 mapping (median [IQR], 1122 [1113-1132] ms vs 1143 [1131-1156] ms; P = .02) but not for native T2 mapping or hsTnT levels.

Our findings demonstrate that participants with a relative paucity of preexisting cardiovascular condition and with mostly home-based recovery had frequent cardiac inflammatory involvement, which was similar to the hospitalized subgroup with regards to severity and extent.

Unlike these previous studies, our findings reveal that significant cardiac involvement occurs independently of the severity of original presentation and persists beyond the period of acute presentation, with no significant trend toward reduction of imaging or serological findings during the recovery period.

It’s people selected from a hospital registry, not necessarily people who were tested/treated at that hospital:

Participants were identified from the University Hospital Frankfurt COVID-19 Registry, covering for the area of the State of Hesse, Germany, and were recruited between April and June 2020.

Bowing out now

2 Likes

I think what was the incidence in specifically the 18 asymptomatic group. Is that in there. Driving thru rural Minnesota do not able to go deep right now.

I may be completely missing something.

Yeah I just saw the quote about it occurring independently of the initial severity (which I edited in) - which is what I was interested in. They do say they don’t represent asymptomatic cases. But among symptomatic cases they found no link between severity of initial infection and heart issues - which is scary.

I get that not all were hospitalized. But somehow they got on the hospital registry - which means?

How you come up with your pool is ridiculously important in any study. It’s not like I’m nit-picking here. Especially when you know the headline is going to be “78 out of 100 patients with covid have heart issues” and 99% of the public isn’t going to even think about the pool.

1 Like

Well, please let us know if you’ve died of the rona in that time.

3 Likes

Gracias. Sounds like the exact specifics we want aren’t there. I don’t know about others but I was intending to be scientifically inquisitive not judgmental.

Same here.

https://twitter.com/CharlieGileNBC/status/1288525505881350144