COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

No need to all pyle on Gomer about this.

13 Likes

You will almost certainly have to relax your standards a little to find other families. It’s going to be a compromise. We found one family more strict than us and one slightly less strict. We have found a way to meet in the middle that we are all happy with.

You will increase your risk, no doubt. But, given the right families, it is a risk worth taking, imo. Kids need other kids. The reward is social, emotional, and academic growth for all kids involved (and the parents too!).

1 Like

Imagine being a smart kid and begging your deplorable parents NOT to take u to Chuck e Cheese

Just verbally. We trust that they’re going to do the right thing and inform us if they don’t. We keep good communication lines. And it’s a bit easier for us as none of the families work in any high risk industries like healthcare or public facing businesses.

I think it inherently raises our risk slightly, but it’s something we can accept for what we think is the upside for our daughter (and us, if I’m being honest).

The good news of it is that we had a BBQ with the other families last week and it was just like normal as we’ve already vetted each other to be safe.

ETA: Also, what @cassette said above.

2 Likes

I was on the fence about Madonna until now.
https://twitter.com/sarahcpr/status/1288521738641342473

It’s so amazing how she’s always reinventing herself!

13 Likes

When you’re young and nuts it’s just kind of cute. Old and nuts, you’re just nuts. Unless you’re famous. Or rich. So I guess I’m back on the fence.

1 Like

I’m watching this tech congressional hearing and Gym Jordan just got yelled at to put a mask on by a couple congresscritters. He of course puts it on with his nose showing. Great work!

The study published Monday in JAMA Cardiology details the results of cardiac MRI exams of 100 recovered coronavirus patients. Twenty-eight of them required oxygen supplementation while fighting the virus, while just two were on ventilators. But 78 of them still had cardiovascular abnormalities after recovery, with 60 of them showing “ongoing myocardial inflammation,” the study shows. These conditions appeared to be independent of case severity and pre-existing conditions, though JAMA researchers note these findings need a larger study.

RE the heart damage study…a sample of people who contracted and were diagnosed with COVID is not completely random and the people who had what they called “significant” damage was 5%. I’m not saying there’s no impact from whatever damage they don’t call “significant”, but also, that study might not be “terrifying”.

The pool seems to be people who showed up at the hospital in Frankfrut, then “convalesced” at home.

The authors studied cardiac imaging results of 100 adult patients included in the University Hospital Frankfurt COVID-19 Registry.

“The results of our study provide important insights into the prevalence of cardiovascular involvement in the early convalescent stage,” wrote lead author Valentina O. Puntmann, MD, PhD, University Hospital Frankfurt in Germany, and colleagues. “Our findings demonstrate that participants with a relative paucity of preexisting cardiovascular condition and with mostly home-based recovery had frequent cardiac inflammatory involvement, which was similar to the hospitalized subgroup with regards to severity and extent.

This doesn’t sound to me like it’s going to include some random person with mild symptoms who tested positive. It sounds like they’re comparing recovering in the hospital to recovering at home. Really bad wording imo by the study authors to not be 100% clear about their study pool.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1288530281381662720

3 Likes

Unless you’re in Western Kansas or something, I’d bet most schools that open are going to have close down again in a couple weeks or a month tops.

1 Like

Gohmert’s staff doesn’t seem too pleased

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1288524502649966592

Is it possible Gohmert misheard? Maybe instead of “you’re positive for COVID” the doc said “you’re positively stupid.”

5 Likes

I think you’re wrong. From the study:

Most patients recovered at home (n = 67), with severity of the acute COVID-19 illness ranging from asymptomatic (n = 18) to minor to moderate symptoms (n = 49).

It would be really nice to see a breakdown of the 100 patients.

Professional sports bettors are laughing at the idea of a scientific study based on just 100 patients.

It would be nice to mix in a control group of non COVIDs, given how subjective analyzing MRIs is.