COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

25 years ago gets committed. 2020 gets 200k IG followers . Gimme my rotary phone and bunny ears back please .

2 Likes

Wen u say booked, do u mean 100% capacity pre covid or a ordinance mandated capacity? Like they can book at 40% and that’s sold out ?

Man this article is full of math-adjacent concepts most people won’t grasp.

2.3% chance of a “big one” is obviously enormous. Separately the log scale, a 7.5 is 45x a 6.7? Basically nobody intuitively understands that.

I’ll take the over on all of this:

A hypothetical magnitude 7.8 quake on the San Andreas could cause more than 1,800 deaths, injure 5,000, displace some 500,000 to 1 million people from their homes and hobble the region economically for a generation. A quake of that magnitude produces 45 times more energy than the 1994 magnitude 6.7.

2 Likes

We hate effin squirrels.

In 2020 a cat 5 will hit Phoenix.

1 Like

Boise always has been my last chance apocalypse go-to, hopefully it stays unscathed.

Conspiracy nutters are claiming this is the first step to the government forcing us into a cashless society.

I thought a 7 is 10x more powerful than a 6, so how can a 7.5 be 45x more powerful than a 6.7? Even a 7.8 vs a 6.7 wouldn’t be 20x if my basic head math which hasn’t done complex math in 15 years is correct?

edit: I see they’re multiplying by 1.5 for energy released so 7 to 6 would be 31.6

Almost all my wife’s cousins have tested positive, mostly because they were dumb and didn’t wear masks and continued as if nothing were happening. They’re really family oriented over there, always visiting each other’s families and having family events, so now we’re watching the virus pass through the family tree with cousins, uncles, and nephews getting it left and right. Luckily most of them are young but there are a few grandparents that are in high danger of getting it

2 Likes

A cashless society sounds wonderful tbh. I’d also like to see old ideas like net 30 accounts from the pre internet age gone. If someone does work for you pay them immediately thanks. Everyone (including the company I’m an agent for ldo) is forcing their vendors to front them 30 days of business because their own customers are doing the same to them. This is creating an environment with massively increased credit risks and opportunities for factoring companies to charge loan shark rates for money that shouldn’t need to be borrowed in the first place.

I remember this New Yorker piece about the Pac Northwest earthquake threat, and how horrific it made it seem and then the FEMA estimate “nearly thirteen thousand people will die in the Cascadia earthquake and tsunami.” Seems low, man.

Hold fast, and wear a mask. You can’t save all of them, but you can protect yourself and your family.

If we’re not careful we could end up in a society where everyone carries around electronic devices that track and record data about where you go, who you talk to, what you buy, what information you access, and listens to what you say, all the while transmitting that information back to a centralized database where the data is analyzed by AI to forecast your activities and even manipulate the information you see and the products you are encouraged to buy.

12 Likes

I’m just waiting for the next step in which subway ad boards talk to me personally like in Minority Report.

1 Like

There’s at least a handful of people at my apartment complex that have declared that they want to get it so that they can get it over with. I’m friendly with them, but I keep my distance. I also just don’t see the point in trying to reason with that nonsense.

Also there was a brawl at a packed bar the other night and the video made the news, of course there wasn’t a mask in sight. I happen to know someone in the video that’s been living with someone who tested positive several weeks ago. Doesn’t seem good.

Uh, I’d look at their 'rona numbers before making that your go-to. Their cases per capita are almost as bad as Houston right now.

Yup. General population has no idea how much invoice factoring is leeching off small businesses in our country.

Speaking of leeches, when we purchase goods or services with a credit card the sales tax is itemized on the receipt. Yet there’s no mention of the ~3% juice that the CC processor is taking–funny that.

There are few things in the world that make me as angry as paying 3% on a four figure transaction. Jesus fucking Christ that’s like 25-50% as much as I’m making on the deal and I put the entire thing together.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjX09-3hc3qAhVHWq0KHeKNAK8Q0PADegQIChAT&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wivb.com%2Fnews%2Famerican-airlines-investigating-after-ted-cruz-spotted-flying-without-a-mask%2F&usg=AOvVaw3wTw9w2QFnVdqi6nx3E-Io

AA investigating Ted Cruz for not wearing a mask on flight.

1 Like