COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1282483254357098496

Thread

13 Likes

One of the dumbest stories I have seen during this. You are lucky enough to have a NZ citizenship, they try to quarantine you for 14 days, and you cut through fence to go to a liquor store.

Mother fucker

Cant wait for Jim Carrey’s Disney painting

3 Likes

Yeah, my insight from a broadcasting background is that reporting, interviewing and anchoring are three very different skills. Most people are not going to be world class in all of them. It seems like Dana Bash is an extremely good reporter and a competent anchor, but she’s not the best interviewer.

A reporter needs to be able to work sources, build trust, sniff out stories, and compile that into a news story.

An anchor needs to have knowledge a mile wide and an inch deep, be able to adjust on the fly, be able to talk about one thing while listening to a producer in their ear tell them about something else, and be able to manage a breaking news story.

An interviewer needs to spend a good amount of time preparing, predict what their subject will say and then how they should respond, then be good enough to really listen live and adjust to what goes down.

Most cable news anchors suck at interviewing outside of breaking news scenarios, so it just turns into a formulaic back and forth. The “good” ones will press hard on bad answers, but they’re still not laying traps and springing them, plotting out the interview two questions ahead, etc.

Ehhh, let’s not get carried away. I went to the #1 broadcast journalism school in the country, and more of my classmates would suck at this than be good at it. It’s a very specific skill set, and honestly it’s not even taught in broadcast journalism school.

We weren’t taught the two most important skills: how to develop sources and how to do live interviews. It’s all about reporting on breaking news and doing packages for local news.

This is a huge part of it, too. If Dana Bash goes too hard at Betsy DeVos, she can kiss a bunch of her administration sources goodbye. This is why you need separate people for separate roles.

BTW, one of the all-time great interviewers flies under the radar because he’s in sports not news, but Bob Costas is incredible at live sit down, long form interviews.

2 Likes

The only difference as far as I know is a slight change in the spike protein, which helps it get into our cells more easily. Whether that constitutes a “different strain” is beyond my pay grade.

From a societal standpoint, even a 50% effective vaccine has a lot of benefits as we make advances in treatments. It helps us reduce hospital strain, which lets doctors and nurses provide better care to those who are there.

I think what we’re looking at, most likely, is a long, slow process toward normalcy. Testing will improve and capacity will expand, treatments will improve, and vaccines will provide some level of protection for some amount of time. Mask wearing will hopefully increase.

It seems fairly realistic to me that within ~2 years we’ll have:

1. Saliva-based tests with turnaround times measured in minutes, not hours or days. This opens a lot of doors for entertainment/economic activity.

2. A vaccine that reduces spread by at least 30-50% for at least 2-3 months.

3. Treatments that, if given early, reduce the severity to a mild case. Hopefully this also means no permanent damage.

4. Widely available testing.

5. Treatments that help further reduce mortality in severe cases.

So, for example, if the treatment must be administered within 7 days of infection, everyone gets tested once every 5-7 days. If you’re positive, you get to the doctor ASAP and get the treatment, then isolate. If you get a severe case, the combination of all of the above keeps the load on the hospitals manageable and you’re getting much more targeted, specialized care.

The quick turnaround testing can be used for sports, concerts, bars, restaurants, etc. I think 1 and 2 are likely in 2021. I think 4 is likely by the end of 2021, as we may need a competent administration to have 6+ months to really get it kicked into gear. 3 and 5 are tougher to say. 3 may be easier to do scientifically, but it’s tougher to test because it’s harder to get emergency use exceptions. 5 is probably tougher to do scientifically, but easier/quicker to test.

I continue to think this is likely. A couple more months discrediting Fauci will set it up nicely to be the October surprise that gives him a chance. This has been my theory for a while now.

1 Like

Sounds like he has what it takes to be part of the few, the proud, the Florida Men.

2 Likes

That’s heartbreaking.

As I’ve mentioned, I’ve got a long local TV news background, and though I will agree that some of these interviews aren’t the best, I would say on balance, they are better than they used to be.

Today’s successful cable news anchor is better able to roll with the punches. The days of the glamorous air-headed anchor are coming to an end. Though there remain a few dinosaurs. Brooke Baldwin of CNN falls into that category in my opinion. She comes off as self-consumed and a lightweight when it comes to interviews. Briana Keiler on the other hand is a very solid interviewer.

At the network level, it can sometimes be a still blurry line between journalist and entertainer. NBC has always seemed like the biggest offender when show biz blends with news at an uncomfortable level. The traditionalist in me still hates seeing anchors yukking it up and baking brownies on the morning show and then delivering some very sobering news later that evening on their network newscast.

1 Like

Beto isn’t doing this us, man.

Guys, she can’t be stupid. She’s rich!

1 Like

Nah, a True Florida Man would have managed to electrocute himself while cutting the fence.

1 Like

at this point I want a bot that replies “shut the fuck up” to any tweet by someone with a US flag in their name

2 Likes

Count me as among those duped by the fucking manufactured food industry. Apparently, they can even label it as “organic”. Mmm, organic 2,4-dithiapentane fries.

1 Like

Anyone with any flag in their twitter handle is a psycho. I once tweeted that and someone with a rainbow flag responded telling me they were sobbing because of what I said.

I went to a grocery store today in Toronto and there was 100% mask compliance. Very strange to see. It was maybe 10% 3 months ago and 70% a few weeks ago.

1 Like

Well, they’re probably killing more Grandmothers of fans than actual fans.

Well the city has a rule now saying it is mandatory.

1 Like

“Mandatory”. 0 teeth so I’m happily surprised to see compliance.

Unknown but I would expect the single RNA base change to NOT result in a significant antigen difference to the immune system.

I would expect immunity to one is very likely to confer immunity to the other.

1 Like

Sure but with a city rule there is more likely to be full compliance. Some people will just not bother wearing one until there is a rule, some shops won’t enforce until there is a rule, etc. There’s also a huge social pressure dynamic at play. When compliance equals 50%, persuading one is the other 50% is very hard. When compliance approaches 90%, the residual 10% will be much more inclined to just “go along”.