COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

1 Like

That’s a great blog - thanks for linking it.

1 Like

Orange county corona virus cases

date
6/15/2020 monday 152
6/16/2020 Tuesday 155
6/17/2020 Wednesday 147
6/18/2020 Thursday 316
6/19/2020 Friday 374
6/20/2020 Saturday 295
6/21/2020 Sunday 345
6/22/2020 Monday 243
6/23/2020 Tuesday 345
6/24/2020 Wednesday 554
6/25/2020 Thursday 730
6/26/2020 Friday 1062
6/27/2020 Saturday 989
6/28/2020 Sunday 834
6/29/2020 Monday 343
6/30/2020 Tuesday 300
7/01/2020 Wednesday 506
7/02/2020 Thursday 584
7/3/2020 Friday 620
7/4/2020 Saturday
7/5/2020 Sunday
7/6/2020 Monday 375
7/7/2020 Tuesday 361

I have been tracking the daily data as it has been posted. I could be wrong but it seems all data flows through the state department of health. Its a top down approach, at least in orange county. Test results get reported to the state and then the info flows back to the counties. There is very little info at the Orange county dept. of health website. So any kind of data specific to positivity rate in Orange county does not seem to be publicly available.

Orange county was rapidly increasing in cases and then all the sudden they were not. It does not work like that. It is notable that the counties that border Orange county are continuing to see an increase in cases while Orange county has seen a decrease. Its very unlikely. What is more likely is that testing has been reduced in Orange county to make the situation seem better. The state of Florida and Orlando have a lot at stake with the NBA and Disney reopen. The mask order did not take effect until late June so any decrease in cases due to a mask order should not show up for several weeks.

The top down approach to the public data Florida in seems to be political in nature. I believe Desantis views Corona not as a public health problem but a political problem. They are rigging the numbers for sure.

8 Likes

I’m a little tired of law bro reasons on why Trump can’t do this or that. These arguments have been batting well below the Mendoza line for the last 3.5 years.

I want to hear HOW Trump can be stopped if/when he tries to do this or that.

8 Likes

Yeah this. The first thing that needs to be addressed with any “it’s against the law” argument involving the GOP is “ok but what if they do it anyway”. There is no world in which Trump issues an order to cancel elections and we end up with President Pelosi. So what ACTUALLY happens?

My guess is the same thing that happened when they refused to allow Obama to appoint a scotus justice. We all sit and look nervously at each other while we watch our democracy fail before our eyes.

1 Like

What you’re talking about is a coup—which requires the military. They’ve signaled they’re not down for that and it’s a line they won’t cross after the DC protests

I’m with catface on this one. Is it a coup if someone in power decides to stay in power indefinitely? I would think Pelosi would be the one who needs the military, not Trump.

This is why I’m so incredibly happy that Trump has gone and fucked off absolutely every senior career civil servant who gets a W2 from Uncle Sam (every agency just about + the entire military).

Some rank and file troops are on the other team to be sure, but the leadership are full of establishment people through and through. Good colleges, good grades, all the right check boxes ticked… you know people who would remind you of skydiver8. The Mayor Pete crowd on the left and the Mitt Romney crowd on the right.

That crowd is VERY anti trump. It’s one of the many things they can all agree on.

Oh good.

So Trump had COVID, then.

5 Likes

So what happens if a large swath of the south doesn’t hold elections, and trump, along with the entire GOP congressional delegation and likely SCOTUS, refuses to agree that Pelosi is president? I don’t think the military gets involved in any way, I just think the GOP continues governing as if nothing happened.

1 Like

It’s this. If Trump declares the election invalid and tries to stay in office, it’s a partisan issue. Republicans say VOTER FRAUD HE’S STILL PRESIDENT and Democrats say HE LOST HE’S OUT. Anything that happens from there is going to play as a partisan issue. If the military removes Trump at that point, the GOP will be screaming MILITARY COUP D’ETAT from the mountaintops.

1 Like

It looks like he has a gun on his right hip under the shirt so I think that’s why he used the “I feel threatened” line so if the other guy advanced at all he could take it out and shoot him. America sucks man

Only if COVID has been around for a decade.

1 Like

It’s possible he was patient zero. More likely just years of syphilis rotting his brain.

2 Likes

So, WHO confirms evidence of airborne spread.

Makes me think that way more people had/have it than are recorded and that it’s asymptomatic in more people than we thought.

NYC not fully opening schools in the fall.

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Wednesday that public schools would still not fully reopen in September, saying that classroom attendance would instead be limited to only one to three days a week in an effort to continue to curb the coronavirus outbreak.

I just realized Trump’s international students must leave if they’re not at in person classes decree is going to WHALLOP my university. Chinese nationals have to be like 20% of the student base and they probably make up 50% of the revenue or something.

That’s going to put a ton of pressure to restart classes, which is the whole idea of course.

My town’s rec department opened up a small day camp and we’re sending our 9 year old. New Hampshire’s cases are really low, and the camp is being run about as safely as possible - they’re in small groups, 9 kids in her group, with the same 3 teenage counselors, and the only time they’re indoors is when it’s thundering and lightning (ideally we’ll keep her home those days). If it’s just rain they’re under a pavilion, every activity and lunch is outside.

It’s not perfect, and we’re still a little nervous but it feels like in this state with that setup, it’s the best we can hope for. She’s an only kid so she hasn’t spent time with kids since mid-March (other than Zoom calls). I got choked up the last two days dropping her off. I can’t imagine what it’s like for these kids. It’s so goddamn embarrassing that we put ourselves in a position that we may not be able to go back to school full time.

12 Likes