COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

Something is off here. ER doctors don’t typically give medical advice over the phone without seeing a patient. Maybe they have some sort of hotline thing going on, but if you just show up they will see you 100%.

Oh we filed married filing separately because it saves us money on student loans. The box on the 2018 return that says “someone else can claim me as a dependent” was checked on both of our returns for some unknown reason even though we couldn’t be claimed as dependents. I talked to the IRS and they said to file our 2019 returns and that should solve it but it hasn’t.

1 Like

I’m not sure which thread this belongs in but weekly jobless claims are out and they are 10% over expectations and another week of increases from the previous week. The whole feed lives into the corporate furnace for the economy thing seems to be stalling out bigly.

I got mine, but it was sent to me as a visa gift card after I made sure the IRS had my bank info for direct deposit. The gift card was in a plain white envelope with like “money solutions” or something as the return address. Of course I threw it away without opening it.

5 days later I got a letter from DONALD J TRUMP saying like “hope you’re enjoying your stimulus payment you’ve received”. I look online and see it was sent, and the IRS website now has a big notice about how some of them are gift cards. Luckily I get the USPS emails every day with pictures of my mail, so I confirmed it was delivered that week.

And that’s how I ended up spending 20 minutes tearing through week old bags of garbage in my back yard to find 1200 dollars.

18 Likes

I’m sure he didn’t talk to an actual Dr. I’m guessing they are just trying to keep most out of hospitals, unless very severe. He told them his oxygen levels.

1 Like

100% this. I deliberately posted only about overweight people since the statement being challenged was literally: “not everyone who is overweight is unhealthy.”

The eagerness of posters to then jump down my throat for defending obesity is a pretty big tell.

If you meant to talk about overweight only, you misread.

"Alright how do I tell my friend who is seriously overweight that they’re high risk without hurting their feelings? She’s only 31 but she’s like 5’7’’ 250? Maybe higher.

She wants to go to one of our outdoor desert parties. It’s not the official one because they would never do that but there are outshoots of them and I hear mask compliance is like 20%.

This is a different friend from the warehouse one who is aware of her risks."

“I’ve never heard being overweight is a risk factor? I think you are making assumptions of her health based on her weight.”

“Are there any people in “good health” at that height/weight?”

“Of course there are”

5’7" 250 is a BMI of 39-40.

Seems like this entire diversion was caused by you missing context.

1 Like

On the bright side, a 93-324 vote means we have about 90 more people willing to cut defense spending than we ever have before.

11 Likes

They have the same attitude towards these people as the right has to the poor.

It was a response to a challenge of one very specific and clear statement.

Now do this every two weeks and get rid of income restrictions and this might be enough.

1 Like

The discussion, as I showed, was about someone who was 5’7" and 250. No one disagrees with you about someone being 10 pounds overweight, and the high horse you’re on is just annoying.

This thread is about 60 posts overweight.

18 Likes

Also holy shit Jwax was not coming out against trans rights and literally nobody ITT was shaming fat people in any way. It is completely valid to point out that some people get very angry if you step an inch out of line on issues surrounding marginalized communities, but are completely happy to support a million other policies that just completely ruin lives.

It’s not that we shouldn’t be hyper vigilant about being inclusive and doing everything we can to make people feel welcome and comfortable. It’s that for 30+ years Republicans have used an electoral strategy of getting their voters fired up about racism/gays/immigrants/etc as an EXPLICIT strategy to distract them from things like massive tax cuts for the rich, endless foreign excursions resulting in massive casualties, deregulation of corporate America, etc. More recently, a lot of Democrats/libs/whatever have figured out that being vocally supportive of those marginalized communities is a lot easier and carries a lot fewer personal costs than being vocally opposed to all of those things that Republicans were actually interested in achieving.

One could argue, in fact, that they’re doing literally the exact same thing for the exact same reasons, except they have the benefit of their voters (and honestly the country at large) being generally better people so instead of Dems getting their voters frothing about welfare queens so they can give a gigantic corporate bailout, their voters (rightfully) froth about JK Rowling while Dems pass a gigantic corporate bailout.

9 Likes

In addition to protesting outside McConnell’s home on Capitol Hill protesters brought in two trucks, one with an electronic billboard and another pulling a trailer with a band playing go-go music on it with a banner that says “Mitch Better Have My Money.”

No, it’s not as simple as it’s a choice.

There are so many factors that go into it but a few are:

Dealing with trauma, a lot of times from childhood.

Being poor which has been proven to negatively effect brain function and ability to make good choices.

The fact that food is super addictive and companies research how to make it more addictive. Not just the food itself but packaging and advertising.

Not being taught good eating habits including how to cook.

I understand the point you are making. I was almost 100 lbs overweight at one point in my life. At some point you have to get fed up enough to want to make a change. But it’s not as simple as “its a choice” the same way that being poor isn’t “just a choice”.

11 Likes

People are determined to make this crisis as surreal as possble

https://twitter.com/FOXSports/status/1286281346390740993

I knew before it even got to the end that somehow Cleatus was behind it.

3 Likes

I mean the truism for losing weight is that it’s “simple but not easy”, like most things it takes to be successful in life I guess.

As for the whole fat-shaming derail, I feel like Clovis’ original statement rubbed a lot of people the wrong way because it sounded like mantra of the fat activist movement, which took the whole concept of “so it seems there’s actually a wide range of health outcomes for every weight even though it trends less healthy as you go up” and conflated it to “lolol you can’t tell a thing about health from a person’s size, gtfo with your antiquated medical ideas”.

1 Like

Snow Crash