COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

So every year my family does this big beach trip in like August or September. We all go to gulf shores. Me, my siblings and their spouses, my parents and all the kids which is 9 kids so 18 people overall across two houses.

So I don’t think it’s been discussed this year and I figure it’s not happening for obvious reasons. Out of the blue today my mom starts a group text talking about dates. I asked “for the beach trip?” Of course, all my siblings are like yea these are fine. I went straight ahead and said umm yea we won’t be attending. What the fuck man, my sisters both I know their kids will be in school before that, fuck that.

You’re right that there is a lot of conflation, because I don’t think it’s that important.

I don’t think that Clovis, et al are perfectly happy to say that “Well all obese people are clearly unhealthy, but some merely overweight people may not be”.

That would be a much less objectionable stance. If anyone wants to draw that distinction, then they should feel free to ignore my posts.

But I don’t think anyone is doing that, do you?

If that’s truly the position that they’re trying to espouse, then they’re doing a pretty terrible job of conveying it. Especially since this discussion kicked off with someone who was clearly obese.

3 Likes

It is a major risk factor.

93 is almost call the hospital and ask if he should go straight to the ER territory. I think 92 or lower is urgent, if you weren’t aware.

Hereitage not hate

She 100% doesn’t know it’s a high risk factor, I mean even freaking Clovis didn’t. I know her well, she’s one of my best friends. She thinks it’s just old people. So I guess the play would be to inform her of it without singling her out but it’s tightrope.

I greatly regret posting this ITT honestly, I should have started a new thread I guess but I really did not see such a dumb derail coming from this question. lolme.

1 Like

Czech government sending mixed messages saying that the uptick isn’t a big deal while simultaneously hinting at the possibility of nationwide restrictions on activities in the near future.

They’re also playing down the number of active cases by saying that there might be an error in how recoveries are counted. There might be some truth to that. I assume recoveries are counted by having previously positive patients testing negative later. But it would be unsurprising if a lot of people skipped on the second test, especially if they tested positive while asymptomatic. I mean having 5,000+ active cases and less than 150 people hospitalized seems out of proportion. Hell, only 20 of those are in serious or critical condition.

1 Like

92 probably isn’t an emergency for someone his dad’s age. Definitely something to keep an eye on though.

Nurse practitioner step sister says <92 is abnormal. 88 is time to go to ED. He says it’s fluctuating between 84-93 this morning. We are trying to convince him to go to ED but he wants to hear back from his Dr (who is an idiot, give you whatever you want type).

Does he have COPD or anything? Either way he should go

gotta get that health care worker ID

No COPD that I know of. He’s never smoked.

Hmm so this is kind of right if you had to pick one number to simplify it, but in reality it’s not quite right. For example, if your father had COPD it would be normal for him to hang out in that range. If your father had no lung issues at all <95 would be an issue. Like most medical things it gets complicated quickly.

In reality the number isn’t that important. If your father feels like shit he should see a doctor.

Wait, what? Where was anybody fat shaming itt? Stating that obesity is a comorbidity for COVID-19 and increases risk for other health issues is not fat shaming.

If I said smoking is bad for your lungs would that be smoker shaming? Sure I get that smoking is much more of a choice than obesity for some and therefore not a perfect analogy, but simply stating a medical fact is absolutely not shaming. You’re trying way too hard.

6 Likes

All of these derails here seems to be a sign that even those of us in this thread have Covid fatigue and are all too eager to talk about something else. It is a microcosm of what is happening here in USA #1 as things are rapidly deteriorating.

17 Likes

Is this thread the right place for discussion about this?

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1286271968623329280?s=20

I’d appreciate a fresh 2.4k in my pocket. I need a term as catchy as ‘obamaphone’. Trumpbucks?

Being 100 pounds over weight is a choice

This coming from a guy that was 80 lbs over weight for most of my adult life.

It’s not fat shaming. As Richard jeni described his new diet plan

It’s called “stop eating you fat bastard”

Pretty well sums my life up.

1 Like

We still never got round 1 even though eligible.

That sucks. Any ideas why? Mine was a little delayed a bit… I think because I owe taxes every year because my wife’s job deducts as if our entire income is her small income.

He called an ED but they just told him to stay home and isolate for 14 days. They didn’t even have him get tested. He’s waiting to hear back from his Dr but I know he won’t see him with symptoms. He should at least be able to get him tested, though it’s almost a certainty he has it at this point.

1 Like

Something is off here. ER doctors don’t typically give medical advice over the phone without seeing a patient. Maybe they have some sort of hotline thing going on, but if you just show up they will see you 100%.