COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

If there is no immunity or limited immunity the path the US is on is even dumber.

1 Like

So if Iā€™m understanding the timeline correctly they tested positive, were quarantined, had two negative tests, developed flu like symptoms, and tested positive again. Even if they were false negatives due to low viral load having a relapse weeks after initial infection is damn weird and is just going to make fighting this virus all the more difficult.

Edit: I guess we donā€™t know if they ever had symptoms to begin with or just tested positive because the ship tested everyone. Still that would be several weeks from initial infection to symptomatic with a drop in viral load low enough during the incubation period to not be detectable.

3 Likes

Are you Native American?

Weā€™re going to have ours groomed in a few weeks. It feels like a super low risk thing for something thatā€™s somewhat necessary. But this is also probably motivated reasoning on my part. Seems about one percent as risky as getting my hair cut - Iā€™ll be getting haircuts from my wife at home for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

FYI - Rsigley apparently went and got an x-ray at 2p2ā€™s urging (said it felt like daggers in his lung sometimes). Apparently he has a severely herniated lung and theyā€™re sending him to surgery Monday after getting the xray today - which means it must be pretty serious. Hopefully thatā€™s it and they donā€™t find any permanent damage.

4 Likes

I think its low risk and also its medically necessary for some dogs. My beloved is half poodle so her fur has to be trimmed / shaved at some point and itā€™s pretty risky for me to hack at her with a pair of kitchen scissors.

1 Like

Right there with you. Iā€™ve got the standard 30s yuppie low cut sides and long top. My wife has just been using a 2 guard on the sides and leaves the top. She still fucks me, so I guess it looks okay???

1 Like

Yup. Mines a golden doodle. Seems like a necessity.

I identify as a mutt really. I have a CDIB card for the Cherokee Tribe that verifies 1/16. There is no blood quota requirement for the Cherokee, just need a direct descendant on the Dawes Roll. When I was doing genealogy research, it looks like Iā€™m 1/8, but who knows.

The only benefit Iā€™ve ever received is tribal health benefits which I didnā€™t even start using until I was in my early 30s. I had a panic attack and had no idea what was happening (thought I was having a stroke). Ended up in the ER, then went to see a GP at this really nice, small Absentee Tribe clinic close to where I live. Got me on beta blockers for blood pressure and off label for anxiety. Got on Lexapro in the last few months after he finally talked me into going to see a Psych. in the behavioral health department.

So yea. I have socialized medicine in the US and itā€™s fucking awesome. The clinic I go to has radiology, behavior health, dental, optometry and GP. The last time I paid for self employed health insurance through the marketplace it was around $300 a month iirc. And that was in my mid 20s with no kid or spouse.

11 Likes

Ever since I let my haircutter go to 2 on the sides, 5 on top - Iā€™ve had no issues except the inevitable cowlick on one side midway through to the next haircut. But itā€™s so nice and short and simple I can live with it. Also good on my trip - point to top - cinco, point to side - dos.

Although the haircut I just gave myself was quattro-dos. 5 didnā€™t seem to be working that well.

Potter Co. Texas (Amarillo) has gone full nuclear with over 700 reported positive test results today. The entire county has only 120k people. So 0.6% of the entire town tested positive in a day. Crazy. They have only had 1800 positive test results before today total. So if you are looking for a place getting OPEN FOR BUSINESS is not going that well that might be a good place to start.

4 Likes

Texas as a whole is going to be at least 500 cases higher than their previous high day. That is with several counties still not having reported their data yet so it will end up even worse than that.

2 Likes

Well, itā€™s zoonotic, so there must be an animal ā€”> human route.

Fucking awful position for whoever decided comparing this to the flu was the only way to help Trump understand. Now big brain refuses to revise his deceptive oversimplification. I mean if youā€™re the person who used that comparison to turn the light bulb on for Trump, are you now beating your head against the wall because he wonā€™t let go of it the comparison?

1 Like

more bad news for texas

5 Likes

Donā€™t know if this was posted earlier, but the Consumer Price Index fell by 0.8% between March and April. The headline number is a little misleading though, because it is largely driven by the huge fall in energy prices (oil), while prices for food increased by 3.5%. Prices for medical care up 5.8%.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

1 Like

I played in the WSOP with Nelly (the rapper) once. He was pretty quiet and the table was boring, Iā€™m not sure many people even knew who he was. I ended up eliminating him and he went to shake my hand afterwards. Iā€™m white, left handed, and was a little nervous for my celebrity encounter. We extended hands, and he manipulated my hand in such a way to do the coolest black guy hand shake i had ever done and ever will do. It was as if he momentarily transferred some of his swag to me for a fleeting moment that I will never be able to recreate.

28 Likes

I think I disagree. If there is no immunity (and therefore no vaccine?) then I could understand some people saying ā€œfuck it, Iā€™m not living like this forever if Iā€™m just going to get sick at some point anywayā€.

Regardless, we need to figure out how to live semi-normal lives while still being careful. Unfortunately people can only wrap their heads around ā€œtotal lockdownā€ and ā€œSRO at Senor Frogā€™sā€.

Wouldnā€™t going for eradication rather than herd immunity be better if herd immunity isnā€™t possible?

1 Like

This is sounds great. Hopefully it catches on.

1 Like