COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

So riddle me this. Why is behaving outside of Cv guidelines and morally different than driving drunk?

Legally hard to trace infections back to a specific person. Ethically no difference, well maybe even worse because it’s a completely unimpaired decision and you can potentially kill a heck of a lot more people than can fit in a car.

6 Likes

It isn’t. The results of the bad behavior just aren’t as visible and obvious so people aren’t really being held accountable.

2 Likes

I mean, the problem is even when they do the Phase 3 trial with tens of thousands of people, if not more, they’re only going to watch for 2-3 months of side effects, then proclaim it safe. I imagine a lot of the wealthy will not take it and will stay locked down for another year to be safe. Like, they’ll have all their vaccinated servants and vaccinated employees. The money machine goes back to BRRRRRRRRRRRing for them, they have all the bells and whistles back to their mansions from the vaccinated normal folks, so they’re at virtually no risk.

I’m starting to think that there’s a pretty good chance that closed in the spring and open in the summer are going to be more similar than people think, at least in liberal cities where there’s reasonable mask compliance in OFB. For one thing, even in locked down Philly right now, if I wanted to go get a haircut, I could. If I wanted to go play live poker, I could. I’m sure I could find a restaurant or bar to go hang out in if I wanted to. There is enough underground stuff going on that the jump from closed to open might not be as drastic as we think. What’s that worth in Rt? Fuck if I know. .1 maybe? But it could be a huge .1.

Agreed.

Yeah, I mostly agree. I was also kind of painting a best case scenario picture there, and it was still pretty grim. I do think one key consideration is that it appears outdoors are safe. If we OFB and keep everything that can be outdoors outdoors, we may have a shot.

1 Like

Thinking of getting my dog groomed soon before the heat sets in. Groomer has contactless drop off and pick up. I’m more nervous about him than myself since he is 9. Dumb idea? He’s going to be miserable this summer if I don’t do something and he has an overwhelming amount of hair.

It’s not, I agree.

Agreed, we know that drunk driving is socially unacceptable, going out in groups and shit seems “harmless” to most. The number of times I’ve heard a college educated liberal say something like, “Well it’s fine, cause I don’t have it, I feel totally ok,” and repeat that even after being reminded about the asymptomatic incubation period is staggering. People can understand that for OTHERS but they all think they know their own body.

I agree with this too, fuck.

If the groomer can do it outside and wear a mask, I think the risk is very very low (if not negligible) with contactless drop off and pick up. If they’re doing it inside, it goes up a bit but it’s still low. Whether it’s worth that risk is tough to say, cause I’m not a dog owner and have no concept of this type of thing. Given that you could be looking at going a full year from now if you don’t do it now, I’d probably be inclined to say go for it.

If they’re doing it inside with no mask, I’d be pretty concerned.

1 Like

We had to take ours to the vet yesterday with a leg sprain.

Give the dog a bath when you get home. I wouldn’t worry about the dog. Pretty sure I’d there was a significant issue we’d have heard by now. Clearly we care more about pets than old people.

On vacation in Salem MA, the wife and daughter both said ahhhhh when they told us that a couple of dogs were killed as witches.

The guy noted that he gets that reaction all the time. 14 people ho-hum. 2 dogs tragedy.

2 Likes

I defend neither, but failure to drink and drive wouldn’t crash the economy. So the situations aren’t exactly analogous, but each should be shamed anyway

You’ve met people and dogs right?

4 Likes

I know this is 2 days late, but for this to work, you have to get it way up in your sinuses to really flush things out:

12 Likes

This kind of relates to something I’ve thought about before, which is why so many immigrants seem to play poker, relative to like their percentage of the population. Specifically immigrant business owners, and I realized that the amount of risk they were willing to take moving to a foreign country and starting a business is just massive… so naturally there’s a correlation with poker.

So in this context, it’s quite possible that people who move halfway around the world in search of a better life are going to be more inclined to engage in risky behavior if it’s perceived to be in their best economic interest.

They’re also more likely to buy into a right-wing economic worldview, and then get the rest of the right wing derp brainwashed into them as a result.

I’m trying to prepare for a scenario where it takes significantly longer than 12-18 months and I’m back at work playing live poker before it’s available.

COVID-19 has infected pets such as dogs and cats, but there’s no proof that animals can spread it back to humans, so it’s kind of like getting takeout.

1 Like

Except I don’t love my takeout like a best friend… so I would say it’s a little different.

I think Barry Greenstein wrote about classifying some players as “boat people”. Meaning nothing pejorative, just that having risked all on a boat trip to the states, bluffing all-in with nothing is nothing to them.

How can you compare takeout to this?

8 Likes

You get intercepted coming in by air or road (highways are roadblocked and back roads are patrolled) and there’s a mandatory 14 day quarantine. This is per state legislation. I think the federal government could override that if they wanted to but it would be a bad move politically. They certainly could for the Territories where federal power to override is absolute. When the PM was asked about when those closures would be lifted he was like “we didn’t advise the states to do that, ask them”.

My understanding is this would just be unconstitutional in the US, but it’s not uncommon for there to be laws here which would be laughably unconstitutional there.

It’s looking like antibody protection is probably not absolute.

Edit: although the end of the article clarifies that they still don’t know if these are just false negative tests.

Meanwhile in a suburb of OKC we have:

1 Like