COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Rangers are NHL and Celtics are NBA

7 Likes

Ick. Worst day for covid19 cases this May by some slight margins.

Guess if you have people congregating at pubs without masks on, this is what happens.

Still getting my haircut.

There’s a history of sectarian violence underlying Celtic/Rangers.

El Clasico has some political undertones as well with Real Madrid being the favorite team of now-deceased former dictator Francisco Franco. It’s rumored that he fixed games so they’d win more. Barca was the team for pro-Catalonia independence and anti-monarchy sentiment.

Big day in South Australia. We now have zero known active COVID cases. Our last new case was May 7, but that was a guy who had come from overseas with it, and prior to that the last new case was April 22. Since then we have conducted over 27,000 tests of anyone showing any COVID-like symptoms, so like 1.6% of the population, and turned up nothing. I really think that the virus has been eradicated in our state for the moment.

Travel within the state is back on the menu, so I’m going up to the Flinders Ranges with my girlfriend at the start of June. It’ll be good to get away. Restaurants are just outdoor dining and no alcohol at the moment, but the next stage of OPENING FOR BUSINESS is June 8th, when there will be indoor dining (with table distancing) with alcohol service allowed. The government are taking it cautiously and we will continue to test to guard against a new outbreak.

Hope you guys in less fortunate jurisdictions are doing OK.

12 Likes

Congrats, I can only imagine what a relief it must be to have life as normal looming on the horizon and zero cases in your area. Enjoy! Make the most of it, too, you never know what might happen in a few months.

Right now I would be thrilled to have that kind of normalcy by like 2022. There’s hope for sooner, but I don’t feel like it’s very likely.

I wish NSW and Victoria would lock down longer and also eradicate the virus but looks like that won’t happen. Will make for interesting decisions for interstate travel.

1 Like

It’s interesting to think about how locked down you would have to be to eradicate it from where you’re at… I guess the cold months are coming up, right?

Like in theory just keeping the Rt to a .9 or lower for a period of time should do it eventually… It’s just a matter of how long it takes.

Yeah you probably saw that the PM today is targeting interstate travel by July. We will see.

One person who COVID has been good for is PM Scott Morrison, whose latest approval rating was 68%. Amazing turnaround from his position after the bushfires, when he was so unpopular there were leaks from inside the Coalition that they were thinking of dumping him as leader. He has I think done a good job through this, communicating and setting expectations well and basically listening to what experts were telling him to do.

It reminds me of George Bush post 9/11. Just make lots of standard speeches where you don’t say anything too retarded or even political (sniping labor). It seems quite easy to boost your popularity during a black swan event. Makes trump even more lolworthy.

Just wait until shit really hits the fan here. We’re opening up with hundreds of thousands of active cases, California wildfire season is getting going anytime now, and they’re already seeing a 60% year over year increase so they expect a severe one. The midwest is about to enter tornado season, and then we’ll be getting hurricane season for the southeast after that.

I guess the “good” news is that Trump will only respond to natural disasters in red states, so the wildfires are off his plate, since he’s such a fucking joke.

It’s worth noting, by the way, that all of those natural disasters are a nightmare in a pandemic. If you’ve got to put hundreds of people in shelters overnight because they lose their homes, you better have hundreds of N95s ready or you’re likely to create an outbreak. Same applies for first responders.

No chance in hell this administration or FEMA are on top of that, nor will most governors in hurricane/tornado states be likely to be prepared for that - they’re in the open for business it’s all okay club.

I was being sarcastic earlier, I’m aware of the environment around the matches

Some pretty hot climates have some fairly hi growth rate.

Kuwait and Qatar both high infection rates and higher growth.

Is this the so hot everyone is inside together deal?

https://twitter.com/isfbob/status/1261176057555611649?s=21

Dammit. Shook hands with the barber after my haircut. If she has asymptomatic covid19 then gg me.

Literally the only human being I have had any physical contact with since the pandemic. So insane if I got it when motherfuckers in America are shaking hands, standing next to each other, not wearing masks and not getting anything.

Well, I use the contact tracing app on maps.cz. Hopefully, it’ll let me know if I had contact somebody before I get symptoms.

Did you then lick your palm or something?

7 Likes

Had a bad dream last night.

First I was at McDonalds ordering a bacon, egg and cheese McGriddle sandwich. I was wearing a bike helmet with a clear curved face shield, and the manager said I couldn’t wear that inside, so I had to take it off. The I went back to my office, and I was surprised to see that all of my coworkers (and seemingly more) were also there, some of them with young kids in tow because schools were still closed. The office had been rearranged to accommodate the extra people by getting rid of lots of cubicles and replacing them tightly packed aisles of folding chairs.

Fortunately IRL stay-at-home in my city has been extended for at least another month, and even after that my company isn’t going to make anyone come back to the office who doesn’t want to. I could still use a McGriddle, though.

3 Likes

Haven’t read this yet but the author is top notch.

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1260653546732580865?s=19

In LA if you call the cops on the kids the cops may show up and give them (and you) COVID.

https://twitter.com/dontdieghostboy/status/1260774577698779141

If we still have covid going around in 2022, Australia will still have covid going around in 2022.

2 Likes