COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

I have a Duke educated nurse friend, married to a doctor, believes she had COVID in November. She has been posting all the glorious reopenings, can’t wait to take her kids to Disney again, and now is posting photos from nail salons. JFC.

1 Like

I just use a running 14 day total of positives to approximate active cases, and yes that’s in the 400k range. I don’t try to correct for deaths or recoveries as recoveries in particular are poorly defined. 14 is cause that’s the standard infective range, or at least it wAs.

1 Like

Two years ago a toller where we Had a phage problem used a commercial product I can’t remember the name of right now and is not listed in this very thorough review article. Sprayed and wiped down every surface we could. I think it was something like vironQ or chloroQ?

Basically bleach based stuff, peracetic acid and/or gassing with paraformaldehyde are standard. UV light in biohoods. Ethanol isn’t that great comparatively (I think the paper says 4 logs or 99.99% which is Good (not great)!for bacteria, barely decent for viruses. Bacteria grow ^2. Viruses grow ^100. In 45 minutes a fast bacteria will double while a virus can easily get in 2 cycles or 10,000 fold.

I am unsure of true efficacy of standard purel use on hands. Most of the other agents are NOT something you want on your skin.

We were getting hit in our shake flasks, the first time on reviving our bacteria from the freezer. That means it had to be in the lab where pretty serious precautions are already taken. My guess is that someone went into the sterile prep area after being on the plant floor. We did find a reservoir of virus in the drains. There is a large fuel ethanol plant on the other side of the street which shares utilities. We never found the specific lab source. The extra extra cleaning did the trick.

3 Likes

Wichita.

I reckon go to the wedding. Not your wife.

Whenever anyone asks, before and after, explain that she is at higher risk and you don’t want to risk other people’s health.

French primary schools open for business

NINTCHDBPICT000582765078-1

edit: there must be more to this than meets the eye - they can’t do this inside so why do it outside - doesn’t make much sense to me.

1 Like

It makes you wonder what the long term psychological effects will be for the current generation of young kids.

1 Like

KhAB58J

https://twitter.com/80_mcswan/status/1260836629582938112

https://twitter.com/b1_moore/status/1260860649556660224

Who knows if this stands up to scrutiny but it’s certainly an alt-right astroturfing campaign so it wouldn’t surprise me a bit.

This is true however…

5 Likes

Sounds like the Stanford study we were all shitting on last week.
Eta: which it cites.

1 Like

I feel for you dude. There’s a ton of uncertainty right now. I think you’re aware of the risk and options. I wish I knew the right decision for you.

Keep in mind too that emotions are hot right now even for people doing fine. You might find people a lot more upset than they otherwise would be just because we’re all usually running at a 4-6 emotional temp but these days, we’re all running at a 6 minimum. Doesn’t take much to push us all into a state of panic that unfortunately feels like it’s just barely above normal.

Could also be part of why this decision is so difficult when otherwise you’d probably have clarity and strength of will to decide.

This won’t be some end all be all decision. You just make the best decision you can. You and the loved ones who are good for you will figure it out in time.

3 Likes

We’re all alright! We’re all alright!

Hello Wisconsin!

2 Likes

This is among my top worries. My 15 year old, who is an extroverted introvert and is generally the crazy one, seems to be doing OK. My 11 year old, who is typically happy-go-lucky but very very social, has clearly had a much harder time. Once it became clear that the younger one was suffering I started taking him on daily outings to the Angeles Forest. We just find a random place to pull of the road and take a walk in the woods. That seems to have helped. Now that trails are open, we’re going to try some socially-distanced, masked walks with friends. To me that seems exceedingly safe.

Also, the couple of times we’ve ordered takeout/delivery have been like Christmas for him, I think because that offers a tiny slice of what used to be “normal”. Don’t @ me JT.

10 Likes

Same but it’s because my setup is inconvenient; I got a Switch and play it all the time since I can play it sitting in my couch.

This is really something we worry about. My son was 18 months when this all started and was doing great in the Kita (daycare). Now he has no adult interaction except mom and dad, and zero peer interaction and we worry that if this goes on for 6+ months it will slow his social development significantly.

Like all of the fighting over toys hitting and being hit different weird interactions the kids have with each other teaches them things in ways that mom and dad cannot replace.

Different ages where they have more understanding over what is going on and why will also have different psychological effects.

5 Likes

I probably grunched my way past that.

I was going to make some smartass reply like Oh yeah, I’m somewhat of a bald redhead myself, but I googled it and… that’s me? Wow.

Wish I had some tips for minimising your kids’ trauma, but my nephew was learning to whittle and took a decent chunk of his thumb off. We’re not the family to ask, I don’t think.

2 Likes

For people who don’t know about the delightful Ms Fransen…

2016 conviction and arrest[edit]

After one of Britain First’s “Christian patrols” in Luton, in November 2016, Fransen was convicted of religiously aggravated harassment and ordered to pay a fine of £1,000 after she harassed a Muslim mother of four who was wearing a hijab. She was also fined £200 for breaching the Public Order Act 1936 by wearing a political uniform and ordered to pay £620 in costs (including a £100 victim surcharge), and issued with a two-year restraining order to prevent her from contacting the victim or engaging in intimidating behaviour towards her. Fransen had denied all charges, accusing the courts of being “absurd”, and engaging in “a really clear display of Islamic appeasement”.[19]

2017 arrests[edit]

In September 2017, Fransen was arrested with Golding and charged with religious harassment. They were bailed and ordered to appear before Medway magistrates on 17 October 2017. Their arrests followed an investigation by Kent Police into the distribution of leaflets in the Thanet and Canterbury areas, and the posting of online videos during a trial at Canterbury Crown Court in May 2017.[20] On 14 October 2017, following a broadcast on Radio Aryan, Fransen was re-arrested and detained overnight at a protest in Sunderland for breaking the terms of her bail.[21] On 17 October 2017, after Fransen and Golding pleaded not guilty before Medway magistrates, their case was adjourned until a hearing at Folkstone Magistrates’ Court on 29 January 2018 and they were both ordered to report weekly at Bromley Police Station.[22]

On 18 November 2017, Fransen was arrested in London by detectives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland in relation to a speech she had made at a rally outside Belfast City Hall on 6 August.[23] She was charged with employing “threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour” under the Public Order 1987 (Northern Ireland) Public Order act and on 14 December appeared at Belfast Magistrates’ Court, where she pleaded not guilty.[24] Fransen was immediately re-arrested outside the court and charged the following day over anti-Islamic comments posted online in a video filmed on 13 December at a peace wall separating Catholic and Protestant communities in West Belfast; she was ordered to appear in court on 9 January 2018 and released on bail, subject to an exclusion order from all processions and demonstrations in Northern Ireland.[25]

The trial is due to begin in April 2018 for all three offences mentioned above. Leader Paul Golding will also appear charged with one count under the Public Order 1987 (Northern Ireland) Public Order act relating to the Rally in August 2017. They will both appear from custody having been imprisoned in March 2018.

2018 conviction[edit]

On 7 March 2018, Fransen and Golding were found guilty of religiously aggravated harassment at Folkestone magistrates’ court, as a result of an investigation concerning the distribution of leaflets in 2017 in the Thanet and Canterbury areas. The pair were convicted over an incident at a takeaway in Ramsgate, Kent, during which Fransen screamed “paedophile” and “foreigner”, while Fransen was also convicted for approaching an address she believed to belong to a Muslim defendant on a rape trial. They were both sentenced to prison, with 36 weeks for Fransen and 18 weeks for Golding.[26]

Kent Police released mugshots of Fransen and Golding, taken when they were originally in custody, because of “the nature of the offences committed and the impact they had on the wider community”. The usual procedure is that only offenders sentenced to a year or more in custody have their mugshots released.[27]

tl;dr far right neo-Nazi thug with long track record of verbally assaulting and harassing ethnic minorities

2 Likes

Lol easy enough to do. There’s a link to it in this paper FWIW. Long story short - - self selecting online sample from like just Palo Alto or something, Stanford guys project from that there’s like 80x cases as confirmed.