COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Sarcasm?

2 Likes

EU draws up list of ‘safe’ countries for travel

The EU says that from 1 July it will allow travellers in from an initial list of “safe” non-EU countries.

The countries on an initial version of the list are: Algeria , Australia , Canada , Georgia , Japan , Montenegro , New Zealand , Rwanda , Serbia , South Korea , Thailand , Tunisia and Uruguay .

BBC Europe correspondent Katya Adler reports that the list will be updated as the situation in different countries changes. China, she says, will also be added if it offers EU countries a reciprocal agreement.

The list is expected to be finalised by midday tomorrow.

I was hoping there were thoughts it might be less lethal. I’ve seen some anecdotal reports from Italy that new cases dont seem anywhere near as bad as older cases, and rumors of the same elsewhere. It’s probably wishful thinking but was curious.

Yeah, Monday data are always on the tame side. We’ll likely push back into record levels tomorrow and surge into the mid 50k’s later this week.

4th of July might make it a weird week.

1 Like

He might lose a handful of votes from the actual people who die. That’s about it imo.

5 Likes

UK goes green under Czech traffic light system

The Czech Republic’s health minister says the UK has been re-categorised as “green” under the country’s traffic light system for travel during the pandemic.

Adam Vojtech’s announcement means there will be no more restrictions by Czech authorities on travel to and from the UK, including for tourism - although it’s not yet been confirmed when this change will be made.

The only “non-green” EU countries on the Czech map are Portugal (orange) and Sweden (red).

It comes after ministers in the UK said blanket restrictions on non-essential overseas travel would be relaxed from 6 July.

But the list of so-called air bridges, or travel corridors, between the UK and other countries is yet to be published - that is due to happen this week.

https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1277568895973560320?s=21

This is too pessimistic. Abstractly, if you pool N tests, you save (N - 1) tests (1 - r) ^ N times, and waste a test the rest of the time. Here’s a simple spreadsheet showing tests saved (vs single tests) by N and r:

The gross tests saved is then divided by N to allow comparability between results. Basically the output represents expected tests per person to fully screen a sample population. Obviously assumes 100% accuracy in both directions, which could skew the numbers. But on those assumptions, a 5% positive test rate calls for testing in pools of 5, but 10 is not drastically worse.

EDIT: Also of note is that if your positive rate is low, you can test more people by pooling, which pushes down your positive rate and allows you to pool more, and so on. (The intuition here is that adding a 100% not infected sample to a pool of healthy samples costs you nothing.) So, if the positive rate is 0.01%, you can pool at N=100 and expect to need 1 test per 50 people in the sampled population. Ideally, you’d stratify the population based on the a priori likelihood that they are sick, so that people with symptoms are tested singly, healthcare workers are in small pools, and general surveillance testing of the population (lol!) could be tested in very large pools. You could save even more tests by pooling the retests of big pools. (I.e., test pools of 100, then retest pools of 10 if you get a hit). There might be biology problems with that though, or it might not be acceptable to run three rounds of tests to get an answer.

Anyways, I’m just a guy with a spreadsheet and a working understanding of binomial probability. I’m sure the CDC has experts working on a much more sophisticated protocol…

Eh. Speaking as a pastors kid here those congregations are pretty strong social groups. Having several members of the congregation die because they contracted COVID at a rally is going to do real (although lesser probably) harm to the church and massive damage to the GOP/Trump (because they will be trying to deflect blame off of their church and onto the GOP/Trump, the pastor will help this by figuring out how to place blame on the GOP/Trump).

A lot of you guys think our political opponents are bullet proof zombies or something. They’re badly brainwashed but they’re just people. Support for the Nazi’s cratered after they started getting bombed and apocalyptic body counts on the Eastern Front happened. At a local level that congregation could easily lose 40-50 people with the demographics of most congregations these days, and just as bad another 40-50 people could have serious complications leading to them and their air tanks coming in and reminding everyone what happened every Sunday from now on.

well hold on a minute now everyone we don’t know what type of lens was used here! If you asked these people they would all say they were following proper distance protocols. they’re probably standing on little x’s made of tape 6ft apart and they wore their masks right before this photo was taken!

This will be the take from idiots, but we all know that singing is like the worst thing you can do, and everyone in that place was probably exposed.

1 Like

I started with BASIC at 12. Counting scripting languages I’ve probably done things with dozens of languages. Even so, I suck and can’t really imagine making money doing it.

1 Like

Yeah, at my MIL recent funeral the church apologized but asked that people please not sing and just hum. And they had the two live singers in a completely different wing of the church. They should probably just piping in the music right now, but at least they made some real efforts to minimize the risks.

1 Like

It’s less than 50% anyone in the choir was infected.

I remember when Trump said those nasty things about McCain’s military service, and I was actually disappointed because I thought that was the end of his campaign. I mean seriously what Republican could trash veterans and still remain viable? At that time I thought he had zero chance of beating the eventual dem nominee and was hoping he stayed in long enough to ruin his party. lol me.

Anyway, maybe a few people “wake up” but I think you are drastically over estimating any real loss of support. He’s caused thousands of unnecessary deaths already, and most people don’t care.

Half the congregation was unmasked. Some of them were singing. Bank on it.

Lol you can’t really shower if you backpack. It just comes with the territory. That doesn’t mean I didn’t keep clean. I used hot water to clean up. But if you expected a 4 star bathroom out in the woods, backpacking isn’t for you.

So my work just fired a coworker and announced I would take over his responsibilities which would put me face to face with unmasked people for 30min+ indoors 5-7 times a week and end my remote work. I can basically quit or do this. Wife is freaking out saying she won’t let me back in the house if I don’t quit. FML

14 Likes

You haven’t described a single personal consequence these people have actually suffered (besides those impacted by the virus) because of him. Remember that Trump is the result of them not himself. After the GOP establishment lost all credibility with the base when a black dude got to be president the base started running the show… and Trump is the candidate for their world view.

It takes a pretty significant hit to move someone off something like that. Particularly when they’ve been digging a deeper and deeper into debt wrt cognitive dissonance.

I’m expecting post-Nazi / post-Confederate levels of despair as this world view crashes into the jagged shore of reality over the next few months, probably culminating with a soul crushing beatdown on election day. There will still be true believer fragments left fifty years from now, and the MAGA hat is going to be the confederate flag equivalent then.

I hope you’re right. But only a small percent of MAGA will die or have loved ones die. Those few may wake up. The others will do what they have been doing for every single other despicable thing this moron has done that would have sank any other president.