COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Two observations.

All states have been in the SDI red for at least 1 week in June. holy crap. (Except DC which is not a state—yet)

4+ weeks consistently in the red =rapid if not explosive growth. Maybe we should call this coronarrhea.

More from this article:

With that tweet, the W.H.O. focused on a semantic distinction that would cloud discussion for months: Was the patient asymptomatic, meaning she would never show symptoms? Or pre-symptomatic, meaning she became sick later? Or, even more confusing, oligo-symptomatic, meaning that she had symptoms so mild that she didn’t recognize them?

To some doctors, the focus on these arcane distinctions felt like whistling in the graveyard. A person who feels healthy has no way to know that she is carrying a virus or is about to become sick. Airport temperature checks will not catch these people. Neither will asking them about their symptoms or telling them to stay home when they feel ill.

FFS

Virologists had discovered a subtle genetic mutation in the infections of two patients from the Munich cluster. They had crossed paths for the briefest of moments, one passing a saltshaker to the other in the company cafeteria, when neither had symptoms. Their shared mutation made it clear that one had infected the other.

Dr. Böhmer had been skeptical of symptomless spreading. But now, there was no doubt: “It can only be explained with pre-symptomatic transmission,” Dr. Böhmer said.

Well fuck. A salt-shaker.

But public health officials saw danger in promoting the risk of silent spreaders. If quarantining sick people and tracing their contacts could not reliably contain the disease, governments might abandon those efforts altogether.

And there’s the rub, it’s always “we better not tell the truth or it will lead to problems”, when of course not being immediately forthcoming leads to bigger problems.

Plus, preventing silent spreading required aggressive, widespread testing that was then impossible for most countries.

“It’s not like we had some easy alternative,” said Dr. Libman, the Canadian doctor. “The message was basically: ‘If this is true, we’re in trouble.’”

Yeah.

1 Like

I have a friend whose brother owns a couple of hospitals in Houston. I’ve reached out to her for any ground-level info. she might have.

Yes, this is all the change that happened since Memorial Day weekend aka WGAFA. I think protest effects are there, but minimal because open for beezness is having a much larger effect to overshadow that.

Places that are the biggest concerns to me are the ones nearing 10 points below my SDI target guess. All of those places have been near that level for 3 or 4 weeks, are showing rapid growth, and looking like true coronarrhea coming. The bad news about these graphs is they’re 5 days behind and I won’t be able to catch them up for probably another 3 or 4 days. I have a feeling the new data week is going to look a lot worse. All of these places are now (to me) on a race to get back above their SDI target ASAP but don’t even know it yet.

Tonight’s story focused on the city of Laredo getting fleeced by this one company, but basically every company that came in early with antibody tests turned out to be bogus. I had no idea the extent to which it was fucked.

Oh and as I figured, probiotics are bullshit and lol @ people taking them and given them to their pets and a huge looooooooooooooooooooool @ people putting them in their infants’ formulas

60 Minutes GOAT

Wait. How did this never dawn on me.

People own hospitals? Are they franchises? Can anyone open one?

I guess it’s obvious in a private system but I’d never thought of it.

If I’m reading your data correctly, I can’t see a single one of these new case rises being due to increases in testing as new cases are far outpacing the number of tests being done percentage wise. Is this assumption correct? When I was tracking this, I gave anything higher than a 10 percent spread as not related to testing (except when testing pct. was more than 10 percent higher than new case pct., which leads to the conclusion that reporting is slow unless SDI is good).

That’s where you just be safe yourself as a family and then she can visit y’all whenever she wants. You are quarantining together then.

It doesn’t have to be “lock down truant style or party wirelessbro style”. There are safe ways for your mom to spend time with her grandkids. Just takes diligence on the grandkid nuclear family’s part to be safe for her.

1 Like

I dunno when I came back from Argentina I had some kind of gurgle-butt thing that I couldn’t shake for 3 weeks. I’d wake up feeling pretty crappy every morning. Then I took some of this and it cleared right up:

It’s not just nuclear families. I know some people with little kids who have decided to essentially quarantine together with another family that has little kids. They don’t live in the same house, but they know both families are pretty careful and they are monogamous in the family mixing.

1 Like

I don’t really understand it either. Maybe he’s on the board or something. But she said he owns two hospitals.

My only knowledge of the Camino is from this movie, which I enjoyed very much.

1 Like

My Aunt’s sister fucked up her feet on that thing. That’s all I know about it.

They are called cohort families. Our government talks about it all the time as a good strategy.

Someday I’m going to do it. That’s what I know about the Camino.

2 Likes

It’s pretty rare for a single individual to own an entire hospital. But plenty of individuals own hospitals. They are fantastic investments for a variety of reasons. Private equity has being going HAM on buying hospitals for years.

Isn’t your aunt’s sister either your aunt or your mother? :exploding_head:

No. DUCY

3 Likes

What do you call your uncle’s wife?

Aunt-in-law LDO