COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Once I see some study that shows 5x I will take that into account.

But it’s been uncanny how often actual cases come in right around 10x confirmed cases even as testing increased.

To clarify, it’s not so much the United States I’m disgusted with - it’s white people. Remove all the white people and the US would be a utopia.

And you know, of course there are perfectly decent white people. I call them “the good ones”. But in groups, they’re pretty fucking awful.

Someone should study our skulls. I think we might have a congenital defect.

2 Likes

Order of magnitude guess, sure. I’d just take the 10x number with a big grain of salt. Who knows how the antibody testing is skewing toward people who are donating blood or getting blood work. We know very little about how many people are catching this and not developing antibodies, etc. etc. Could be very wrong either way imo.

I know you are in this thread. The antibody studies I’m talking about are in Italy or Germany when they do a whole village which they know got hit hard.

Some of the BS ones in the US where they advertise on FB to the tune of “see if you’re immune to covid!” maybe show 20x confirmed cases in the region. So great - do some mental math and 10x is perfectly reasonable.

There have been other methods too. Just look at deaths for any region and divide by .5% for IFR and you almost always wind up right around 10x confirmed cases. And yeah maybe it’s really 8x or 12x, or even 5x or 15x as outliers, but that doesn’t make a big difference in any of the places where I reference 10x.

The only thing that really matters is these morons who want it to be 100x confirmed cases so that they can pretend we’re close to herd immunity. “It was spreading since October!”, “Up to 40% already have had it!” Etc.

I know you’re only joking. Whichever class inherited top dog slot after whiteys disappeared would adopt most of whiteys terrible values.

It’s a systemic feature of class bound capitalism.

1 Like

I’m willing to give it a shot. Native Americans and African Americans both deserve pretty much infinite reparations for what’s been done to them. Might as well just give them the country.

Yeah I don’t disagree with that aspect.

Sweden showed 21x known cases with random sample antibody testing FWIW, but that’s the highest I’ve ever seen and I’ve rarely seen less than 10x anywhere with a sizeable outbreak.

Yeah. And maybe if you factor in that 30% never develop antibodies - it could be more like 15x on average.

But then of course what does it even mean if you fought it off but didn’t develop antibodies? What does it mean if you have antibodies? How long do they last? So many variables.

I had to visit a pharmacy inside a Safeway in Dixon and mask rate was 50% at best. The girl sanitizing the carts had her mask off as well.

Of course they won’t release them but still

2 Likes

It’s 100% here 8n Maryland. They will not let you in the store without one.

Enforced by a security guard at the entrance.

3 Likes

The NBA is a lot smaller in terms of roster size than the other sports. It’s a lot easier to organize a refusal to go down there with fewer people.

If 8 players on an MLB or NFL team refuse, it’s not a super big deal. Plenty of backups and replacements available.

3 players on an NBA team is like a fourth of the active roster, and it’s exponentially more important if one or more of the players is a star.

3 Likes

From my experience, expats who participate in forums like those are a minority. With only a few exceptions, the expats I’ve met are at worst apolitical and those who aren’t are quite liberal. When you think about it, it’s unsurprising since America #1 types would be less inclined to live anywhere else. After all, those places aren’t #1.

There’s a real age divide in my experience.

Younger and middle age. Much more liberal. Older. Horrible deplorables.

Probably sorted by. “I am overseas because I’m interested in new experience” vs “I left my country because I hate it there”

Fwiw you are describing representative democracy here

Reminds me of the Jim Jefferies bit about every race taking turns as being slaves.

Article in local news about hospital bed utilization

Anderson County officials say that the DHEC numbers can be misleading; appearing to represent total hospital capacity. According to David Baker with Anderson County Emergency Management, the DHEC bed utilization statistics show staffed hospital beds, meaning the total number of beds a hospital is supporting with the current staff, and not the total hospital bed capacity.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/scottgottliebmd/status/1276698852448522240?s=21

9 Likes