COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

So we have some extra beds to put the people in that we are letting die so they don’t need staffed care?

They apparently have the ability to activate more staff too (I’m guessing forced overtime)

Meanwhile in Florida.

https://twitter.com/dwuhlfelderlaw/status/1276651939271507968?s=21

2 Likes

Y’all, there might be 10x more infections than cases since the beginning of COVID, but that’s really optimistic for current infection rates.

The 10x cases = infections figure came from early serology studies, but back then we had 20-40% positive test rates.

Now we have much lower positive test rates. That has to mean we’re confirming more infections.

New York State serology bears this out. From late April to mid June, they’ve confirmed around 80,000 infections via testing. Serology studies imply 250,000 people have been infected over this time. So we might be looking at 30% instead of 10%.

Now positive test rates are skyrocketing, which means we are picking up less than before, but we are still picking up way more than in late March.

A competent federal response would have a serology study in a place like Florida right now, since there are fundamentally different characteristics of this outbreak and the testing rate compared with the early ones. But alas we don’t have that, so we have to infer from other studies.

2 Likes

Ironically he sounds exactly like a crazed dog. Very barky tone of voice.All I could hear was

4 Likes

I had in interesting day. My mom was suppose to spend another week or two in the hospital but they called me yesterday and said she had to be out that day as the Covid outbreak was getting worse. It was up to 11 cases. I had to drive 7 hours to pick her up and drive her back to my city.

Makes sense they wanted people out of the hospital. The weird thing is when I got there people were coming and going. It didn’t seem too locked down to me.

12 Likes

Seems to me there might be an algorithm that goes positive percent to total cases vs confirmed cases.

IE in NYC they missed a ton but they probably got relatively more in SC prior to June

1 Like

I was surprised to see the death counts per capita here.

Like UK is much worse than USA or Sweden. France worse than USA. ?

“now who can argue with that? i think we’re all indebtedly to gabby johnson, clearly stated what needed to be said” lololol the original “now let’s hear both sides” guy

the thing that blows my mind is you can say any crazy as shit thing you want now and as long as it isn’t complete gibberish and you stand your ground and act like what you’re saying is normal then people have to take your seriously and hear you out because listening to both sides of the argument is the right thing to do and makes you stronger as we all know.

1 Like

How deaths are counted is going to make a huge difference. My wife’s facility just had 4-6 people die of COVID, but none of them are going to get called COVID because they were already on hospice because of other stuff.

I don’t think we can trust any of the stats we’re getting tbh. They aren’t apples to apples from one locality to another much less one country to another. This is the same disease more or less all over the world I suspect… nobody is doing all that much better or worse on treatment assuming they’re actually treating the people who have it with a modern health care system.

Almost all the gaps in final results will come from the relative competence incompetence of the various governments and how they manage the crisis.

I do want to point out here though that I’m super conflicted about how those people should be counted. It’s not exactly the same thing when someone terminally ill with 3 weeks to live gets COVID and dies. If we pretend it’s the same are we any better than the idiots saying COVID is just the flu? Because these were the people whose deaths from the flu weren’t getting counted either. It’s been standard practice for a long time to code these kinds of deaths as whatever the terminal illness was as the primary cause I believe. This gets even trickier because of the fact that hospice patients get basically no major medical interventions to prevent them from dying when they get COVID. Hospice means they are actively dying and that’s the process you’re managing after all… avoiding death isn’t the goal anymore, making it comfortable is, and nobody sane (I think) wants us to intubate a hospice patient.

4 Likes

Alright Florida has found its narrative: it’s the protestors’ (rioters’) fault that the bars had to close. It took us almost a full 24 hours, but we finally made it.

Is the EU banning travel to and from Sweden?

Seems the blames on everyone except you know who…

https://mobile.twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1276540440813191170

Reminder that Ron DeSantis definitely lost the election. Straight up banana republic.

9 Likes

My mom has told me this every single time I’ve seen her since the protests started. I tell her that cases are rising and we need to be more careful, and she’s like yes from the protests duh. I’ll tell her Arizona flaring up will make it bad in San Diego, and she’s like also people in Tijuana entering the country with COVID because they want to get treated at our hospitals. There is no other explanation to some people than non white people are at fault.

2 Likes

Belgium looks terrible because they include presumed Covid deaths in their statistics. A lot of people dying in elder care facilities for example are counted even if they were never tested. I think France might do something similar.
Therefore comparing those stats across country lines will be difficult.

1 Like

Might be right but the way covid deaths are hidden among other causes makes comparing countries a pointless exercise.

Far better to use excess deaths (deaths above the average for the period).

You can travel but you have to either get a negative test or quarantine for 14 days. This also applies to Spain, Portugal and GB. These restrictions had been in place for intra-EU travel for 3 months until June 15th when they have been rescinded for most countries.

1 Like

It never ceases to amaze me how their lizard brains can, at the same time, accommodate the competing thoughts that:

-THE THREAT OF THE VIRUS WAS VASTLY OVERRATED I MEAN LOOK HOW MANY VENTILATORS WENT UNUSED IN NEW YORK NOW GIMME BACK MUH ECONOMY

And

-OF COURSE THE VIRUS IS SPREADING EVERYWHERE DID YOU SEE ALL THOSE RIOTERS OUT THERE NOT WEARING MASKS???0NE

2 Likes