COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Can anyone tell me how NH is doing recently? Specifically, Merrimack County if you happen to have county level data. I’ve lost track and the sites I was following aren’t that helpful unless you check in regularly and follow the trends.

It seems like a lot of people have relaxed now. It looks like my wife may have to go back to work in early July. The school system is polling parents so it’s obvious they will be going back in the fall. My daughter is complaining now that her friends are all allowed to hang out with each other, have sleepovers, etc. Arghh.

Indianapolis opened later than Indiana which helps things significantly.

1 Like

Carnival Cruise Lines has started selling its fleet for scrap:

3 Likes

One of my best friends just decided to road trip to Florida for a week… haven’t seen him since February and will probably continue keeping my distance. Absurd.

I’ve just been using NHPR’s dashboard, which includes a look at city by city current cases, there might be county on there. Just looking at the city data, Merrimack looks pretty good compared to Hillsborough. NH looks OK thus far - cases and hospitalizations are trending downward, but I do agree anecdotally I’m seeing people acting with less care overall.

https://www.nhpr.org/post/explore-data-tracking-covid-19-new-hampshire#stream/0

I had a meeting at work to decide when to bring people back in. We’ve had some people working in the office even though they really don’t have to. My argument was that we should be encouraging those people to continue to work remotely. I just pointed to Texas’ and Florida’s graphs. I don’t know that it’ll be a winning argument, I’m not the final decision maker but it’s nice to have a couple graphs of states that went too early and say “Do you want an outbreak? Cause that’s how you get an outbreak.”

1 Like

Being a geologist grad and becoming a climate change denier is some sort of hellscape stupid

2 Likes

I know a few geology grads who went to work in the Oil & Gas industry(have to pay those school loans off somehow). When their paycheck depends upon the continued extraction and use of fossil fuels, that has to impact their opinion on the topic.

3 Likes

Looks about as good as it could, no more than 2-3 new cases a day over the past couple of weeks. :crossed_fingers:

merrimack

4 Likes

Good.

Southern CA is everything south of 35°N (between Bakersfield and Santa Barbara.)

WMUR.com has daily updates on NH numbers.

1 Like

Anecdotally, I’d say about 60-70% of customers are wearing masks at the supermarket.

Just from worldometers it doesn’t appear like we’re blowing up which surprises me but Sununu hasn’t been a complete disaster and even my Republican friends are mostly wearing masks inside

1 Like

I went to the grocery store yesterday here on the Seacoast and it was 90% compliance.

My ex is planning on going to Orlando with her family for a week at the end of July. I told her she was nuts, but she thinks it’ll be safe cause they’ll just hang out by the pool, golfing, and relaxing. Of course they have to fly there and back… I’d be shocked if the whole family comes through unscathed.

Meanwhile she’s begging me to hook up with her, and swears she’s been safe. Lol yeah, sure.

1 Like

My right hand at work is a big Disney guy with his family, they were going to go in late July but have decided on universal studios instead cuz apparently Disney was “going to suck with all their restrictions”. We were talking today and he mentioned his vacation coming up and I said something like yea i wonder if it’ll still be open by then, it’s getting kinda bad down there, he just kinda passed by it lol and didn’t say much else about it.

Same guy too that told me the other day that “eventually we are all going to get it so whatever basically.”

1 Like

Parallel universe dispatch:

The state of Victoria is in crisis, with daily new cases reaching as high as THIRTY THREE!!! with community transmission in several suburbs. In response, the government there has called in 1,000 Australian Army troops to provide logistical support to police in containing this dangerous flare-up. I am not kidding about this.

3 Likes

Yep. With the intention of going door to door in hard hit suburbs.

My office was considering going back in work for one day per week starting August. That is now being pushed back due to the second wave.

This is the first wave still unless I’m missing something.

The second wave of people giving a shit.

1 Like

We might be at the 0.5 wave of people giving a shit

6 Likes