COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

What about the 1.x people you will spread the virus to when you YOLO?

3 Likes

I should have asked this a while ago but how does it work in USA#1 if you don’t have medical insurance and you get taken to hospital with covid and survive? Bankruptcy?

If that happens you’ll also have daily TV news saturated with images of hospital corridor floors crammed full with dying people, as in northern Italy.

This is possible, it’s also possible that young people who ultimately die survive longer in the ICU and on a ventilator. Plus deaths lag cases by more than 7 days. More like 2-3 weeks.

To have a second round, the first round needs to end.

Probably, yeah. It’ll probably be a years-long legal battle.

I don’t think that’s a given. NYC saw hospitals overrun and overcrowded, and the only video we really got was leaked stuff from employees on cell phones. Most people who got turned away here were not told “There’s no room for you and you aren’t going to make it, sorry,” they were told “You’re not sick enough yet to be hospitalized, call us if it gets worse.”

Right. Hospitals there will be more like supermarkets here. Which I guess is the idea.

3 Likes

“There is no evidence that the huge rise in cases for 18-34 year olds has anything to do with the protests.”

Hmm…

We were a threesome today (and I don’t trust my dad or his golf buddy in regards to distancing. They are both still working in offices and carrying on mostly as normal). I didn’t really have any contact with either of them and we were outside the whole time.

Course wasn’t too busy, and we let a solo play through. He hit a 335 yard drive and eagled the par 5 while we watched.

This is, of course, bullshit.

1 Like

I was half listening to either NPR Politics or Coronavirus Daily when they were discussing new case clusters. It seems like tracers in one city couldn’t tie a single case to a 7,000+ person outdoor protest. All signs point to outdoor transmission as being incredibly difficult.

posses

Looks legit

2 Likes

That website doesn’t even exist.

1 Like

The idea that you have to let someone onto your premises because he has a card. Lol

That’s going to work on most people.

3 Likes

Arizona’s R0 is dropping a bit, which seems to be putting off the inevitable, if anything. It’s possible that the only thing that’s putting off the inevitable is a lack of reporting that the inevitable is already occurring. There’s no dashboard that I’m aware of with Arizona hospital data. With the statewide tipover this close, cities should already be in full-blown crisis mode. Look at what’s happening elsewhere with the statewide numbers still double digit days away. That said, Tucson is already playing the shell game moving patients around to try to make it work.

https://tucson.com/news/local/tucsons-hospitals-managing-a-healthcare-crisis-as-beds-fill-patient-transfers-increase/article_21ce003c-3bf3-5e82-9cf1-1529f2c2b600.html

Houston looks like 7.7 days as of 6/23, Orlando is at 3.1 to 5.5 days. Orange County (Orlando) overall is at 89% capacity, ICU beds are now 83% full (IIRC it was like 79-80% yesterday for their ICU bads). Nassau County, just north of Jacksonville, is at 100% ICU capacity now. Escambia County (Pensacola) is at 96% for ICU’s now.

The state of Florida is at 77% hospital capacity, which is worse than my model projects, which almost certainly means that they are under reporting cases. One of the weaknesses in my model is that it should actually overestimate current hospital capacity slightly, then correct for it by adding a few days onto the final outputs. So if they’re over my estimates, their case numbers are straight up bullshit IMO.

Flagler County (north of Daytona) is at 95% overall hospital capacity, but they have some ICU’s available still - they’re at like 84% in that.

Anderson and Spartanburg counties in SC are over 90% hospital occupancy, Orangeburg County is at 97.5%, Kershaw is at 93%, and several others are in the low-to-mid 80’s.

Overall, AZ, FL, SC, TX, OK, NV and ID are all in bad shape. I’m increasingly concerned about California. Their R0 is still somewhat low, but I haven’t done a deep dive into local data. I was hoping for a little more progress from Oregon, but maybe within the next few days. It’s just about time to welcome Georgia to this little deep south shindig. It wasn’t that long ago that their R0 was 1.06, now it’s 1.27. Here’s hoping they can get that back under control ASAP. I have my doubts. Same goes for Arkansas and Alabama.

2 Likes
1 Like

Bournemouth (UK south coast) yesterday - telephoto lens obv

_113088145_mediaitem113088143

and from a related tweet

12 tonnes of rubbish left on Bournemouth beach yesterday. People had even defecated in burger boxes & left on beach.

Fucking fucks

1 Like

They were probably in a tough spot because the Trump admin refused to restrict personal access to the quality PPE. I mean they even did it with other countries/people buying it.

What do you do if the politicians refuse to do anything to ramp up production for PPE/buy a bunch of PPE for states/restrict regular people panic buying up all the PPE. Even with the lie hospitals were unable to get PPE for their workers for a long time. If the CDC had come out and said you really need to wear masks people would have panic bought and it would have been REALLY bad.

The Trump admin absolutely restricted the people in the CDC options. It’s possible under a competent administration those same people would have done exactly what we recommend.

2 Likes