COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Same, I did it yesterday. My father and I insisted on being a twosome and got separate carts. Had to go inside to pay, though. Masks required inside, except for the woman working the desk. I should have yelled at her, but then it’s a longer encounter and if she yells back, my risk goes up.

Felt pretty safe out on the course. My dad hasn’t been as isolated as me, but outdoors we should be ok. I ordered a cloth mask to see if it’s comfortable enough to use on the greens.

I was mostly very rusty, as expected. But this was my drive on a 325 yard par 4, with a 3 wood no less.

Chipped it to a few feet, brushed it in for birdie, and had something in the round to hang my hat on.

Well, that and a sunburn. I’ll continue to monitor research and data to see how safe this is, but some activity and normalcy would be nice for a couple months before it gets really bad again here, in all likelihood.

2 Likes

Golf seems very low risk to me. Of all the activities to pick it seems like one of the better ones. Glad you had fun.

2 Likes

Of course the person breathing into the interior space all day is the one that doesn’t need the mask. Of course. Was her name Karen?

Keep in mind that we don’t know how long immunity lasts, if it’s even a thing, but it looks like less than 4 months is definitely in play based on some studies. So you could very possibly catch it now, recover in July, then go for round number two in December.

I played tennis today. First time keeping score since my hamstring and covid hitting town.

I do think golf is lower on the risk scale but tennis is fairly close. Pesky balls.

1 Like

Well to some degree it’s the youngs out there right now getting the brunt of it. Whether that’s enough to keep the hospitals from tipping over seems unlikely.

I’m betting that round two is easier. If not, we’re all so fucked it aint going to matter.

I also think there’s a reasonable chance that winter infections tend to be worse - due to the havoc the cold air and hot dry heated air plays with our mucus membranes. I’ve read experts speculating stuff to this effect a couple of times.

Just in time for all the Trumpers to blame the wrecked economy on Biden after he wins.

1 Like

The young’s eventually visit their olds. The real problem is that even if a low percent of youngs pass it too olds the raw percent of youngs as carriers seems huge.

Then once it gets in the olds that live in olds communities- kaboom. Start digging graves.

1 Like

Sounds like a great time for the most important election of our lifetimes.

I know it stinks to see the numbers rise, but we literally opted into more cases with every state in the union in some phase of reopening.

We collectively decided to convert increased death into increased economic activity.

And now we are, and we need to get used to it because it isn’t changing. There is no going back.

My state (NY) is smug now about being in “good shape” and throwing shade at the states who are faring worse at the moment. But make no mistake, we are open for business too, and cases here will once again rise. It can be no other way.

The die has been cast; all there is to do is decide how you personally will ride out the next year or two.

2 Likes

True. But in theory everyone should be smarter about that then back in March - when some didn’t take it seriously at all. And some of the most susceptible may have already gotten it.

I think we can use March as a baseline for how likely youngs are to give it to olds, and hope this time around maybe it’s 50% less likely or even 75% (due to increased awareness, behavior, etc.)

NY could be setting themselves up for a brutal second wave right when it gets cold again.

Agree with this and would go even further and argue that as a collective UP would make for an excellent consulting/think-tank jimmie thingy where forum members could make zillions solving the world’s problems.

The only thing in the way would be athe lack of an organization and the group would never be able to come up with one. The irony isn’t lost on me.

1 Like

Our advantage is that unlike the CDC, we don’t need near proof to take a position. We’re able to synthesize everything that’s out there and use a bunch of 80/20s to make judgments.

I feel pretty certain that the smarter officials know all the stuff we seem to be figuring out before anyone. But due to their position as a public mouthpiece, they need to be really certain before they say something.

The CDC’s take on masks being a perfect example. They went with what they knew about SARS (mostly big droplets/touch-spread) and had good intentions about trying to preserve PPE for front-line healthcare works. But it massively blew up in their faces.

I’m not using it as an example that they’re smarter than us. Just an example of what can go wrong if you spread faulty information.

2 Likes

I’d legit like someone to explain to me like I’m a five year old how we are supposed to send kids back to school this fall when we can’t keep a fucking restaurant open two weeks because a hostess and three cooks got the rona? Break it down for me

Like August 14 school starts

August 19, teacher and a lunchroom lady get rona. School closes? Two weeks or what? Where to the young uns go in the meantime?

Ok two weeks have passed it’s what September 2nd we’re back! We are two weeks behind time to FOCUS kiddos!

Oh wait now the god damn gym teacher has it and the principal had it and that dickhead janitor too! Everyone back home for two weeks!

And so on

lol idiots this is never going to work and these are your CHILDREN you fucking morons

9 Likes

Simple: You send the kids to school and some of them get it, some of the teachers get it, some families spread it around. Then you shrug your shoulders because kids gotta go to school and parents need the day care because open for business.

3 Likes

I wiped down the cart a bit and carried sanitizer in one of the cupholders, used it after every hole or two. Tried not to touch my face without sanitizing first. I know the air is the vast majority of the risk, but why chance it? Probably not as convenient to do something like that with tennis, though.

So it’s like Highlander and the last kid standing in the class moves on to 4th grade? I guess that’s one way to do it

5 Likes