COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

The same way I put electricity and not computers. I see one as an advancement of a fundamental thing.

But yeah it’s not far off and still very important - same as computers, internal combustion, flight, internet. Not worth debating endless over imo.

Will just visiting be remembered or will it be when we establish a base on another planet/moon?

1. Manscaping devices with cheeky names, delivered discreetly to my door along with ED pills - on a subscription basis.
2 Likes

Ok, or like electricity and the internet.

Are we helping your book along? :grinning:

1 Like

I do love the lore behind the Gemini and Apollo missions and it was one of the most amazing feats we have pulled off. Especially when you consider 60s era tech. So I don’t think it was meaningless. Strapping your ass to a rocket and flying to the moon basicslly without computers(at least modern computers) is completely amazing and insane.

I’m just saying basically nothing came from it. The internet, invented around the same time, is by far a more important development in the human race imo.

1 Like

This. The Hubble had very little to do militarily and it happened. It’s very likely the moon landing happens eventually w/o the military aspect pushing it - just later on.

Oh yeah - telescope might be up there.

It wont be with Apollo tech though right? A trip to Mars will be pretty much a ground up mission the same way Apollo was right? I’m not sure how some guys 50 years ago landing on the moon really benefits a Mars mission tbh.

The book is coming great. I got a writing coach. I’m also reading 1491 right now so I’m very fresh into stuff like farming and written language as it applies to civilization building.

Weirdest thing I’ve read so far - the Incas had no money, but neither did Europe until the 17th century - wtf?

2 Likes

Sure, in the same way as when all vehicles are using different engines to the internal combustion, but it was still a huge first step.

Talking of which, anyone for powered flight?

I didn’t know that.

One of the most surprising things to me was when I found out that the Greeks didn’t have a symbol for zero, which hindered their maths somewhat, and explains party their love of geometry (apart from the obsession with gods and divine perfection).

I don’t see current launch systems as being fundamentally different from what we had in the 60s. Better materials may be the biggest improvement we’ve made. I don’t think we’re getting off this planet any time soon. At least not in the sense of establishing permanent self-sufficient settlements on the moon or Mars.

That is kind of what I am getting at. Moon era tech is essentially worthless for future space travel. Which is why we have been stalled out at the moon/ISS level for 50 years.

I know Sunday is a slow reporting day but wth happened to this thread?

1 Like

Covid is over. Did you not get the memo?

4 Likes

I posted a really good piece by the NYT about healthcare workers sharing their experiences and grief with each other. Here’s a graph from Oklahoma. Can’t wait for Trump to eradicate Covid AND racism in my state in one fell blow next week.

In 500 years people will look back on the moon landing in wonder the way Europeans looked at the greatest Roman achievements in middle ages or Egyptians looked at the Pyramids 500 years after the fall of the Egyptian Empire.

2 Likes

1491 great book

One could argue we have completely failed to build on the moon landing in the first 50 years and don’t really much prospects for the next 50.

Someone has to figure out how to make money off of space exploration. Otherwise nations aren’t going to spend the resources.

WTF indeed because that isn’t true. Europe had money at least since the ancient Greeks.

Ohio just sort of cruising along.

1 Like