COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

WFH people also get downsized more often. It’s really hard to overcome the psychology of people never seeing you and their brains automatically process that as you are expendable.

The reality is that a lot of workplace success is based on being persuasive or downright manipulative, and that’s much easier in person.

2 Likes

fancy french cuisine is the best, good food there is super expensive though. Spain has incredible food at half the price of the French equivalent. San Sebastian is a must go for any foodie, easily the best place in the world for food. (tip: order the stuff off the menu/blackboard, rather than the food on the top of the bar-which is still really good btw)

1 Like

Looks like masks are ~100% effective at blocking casual transmission of coronavirus, so that’s good news:

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1270455405324402688?s=21

6 Likes

N=2 and we don’t know anything about their shedding status while working. Nor do we know If there was anything particularly good about the room ventilation.

I am encouraged by this but

1. Anecdotal quality evidence at this point. Maybe a bit better

2. Mask compliance in America. LOL.

I think it is obvious the mask ship has sailed here in the US. You have about the same chance to get a MAGA martyr to wear a mask as you do to get them to admit Trump is dishonest.

3 Likes

I’ve been curious about whether we could keep the R<1 without social distancing but with nearly everyone wearing masks in public.

1 Like

Buried in here is a seafood processing place in Oregon. Maybe that’s what driving that rise.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/elon-musk-reopened-his-tesla-factory-in-defiance-of-county-orders-then-an-outbreak-happened/

That is the question. I would still avoid having crowds.

Masks is so not a 1 or 0 datapoint. Quality of mask and proper usage are in question from just observing lots of noseholes while out and about.

2 Likes

Me too. We have had this “how is Japan/South Korea/China doing this?” conversation. What if their results are largely a result of 100% mask compliance? Those places also know how to properly use them.

A bunch of selfish morons being unwilling to wear a basic mask being the reason why this thing is still raging out of control would be so USA #1 though.

5 Likes

So I think it’s obvious that I would think that my view of humanity and the future is better than yours… and vice versa. I think that both of us, if we thought the other person was right, would change our positions to better match reality.

I strongly disagree about human greed and corruption being nurture, culture, or learned. I think some of it, particularly the procedural part of it, is learned… but the core motivation to personally thrive is innate in humans and our brains are hard wired to figure out how to justify whatever we did to thrive after the fact. I think there are tons of cognitive biases that are innate in humans that point in this direction, and this is why these behaviors crop up over and over again all through history in every place there are humans.

I think one of the good traits we both share is an ability to live with the idea of not being a particularly good person ourselves. One of the key differences is that I assign a lot less personal responsibility to humans (including myself admittedly) for their generally bad behavior.

The big blind spot I see in your posting is a tendency to expect more from humans than is realistic. I think you’ve got some ideas about how people should behave and don’t think that how they really do behave is relevant to the conversation. I think that expecting humans to improve has led to an awful lot of disappointed idealists.

Really I think our biggest first principles difference though is this: I think the first step in doing anything is understanding why things are the way they are so that I can work within the framework of the possible to get what’s gettable… and I think you think the most important thing is knowing how things should be so that you can begin doing the right thing.

My biggest criticism of your approach is that while it does lead to you personally not being responsible for the various horrors, it isn’t the best way to actually change those horrors. I think that you can gather small groups of like minded people who are willing to make large sacrifices to end those horrors together, but that big picture you guys have always existed and never made a real difference. You can stop eating meat, stop burning fossil fuels, live entirely off the grid, and generally be as close to perfect as possible and meanwhile global temps will still rise 5 degrees C and this iteration of human civilization will still grind inexorably toward the abyss. You need to make changes to the incentives of the general population in all their greedy myopic selfishness. They’ll do the right thing, but only if it benefits them personally. Asking them to sacrifice anything is a non starter and a waste of time.

The only reason why I care at all about your worldview being suboptimal is that I think you’re an awfully capable person, which means I think you could do real good at scale, so the hippy commune leader role feels like kind of a waste to me… but it’s very important for me to be clear that I am not close to certain that my world view is actually correct or superior, and I could be extremely wrong.

1 Like

If forced to participate in a reopened society and go about your pre-pandemic activity, which would people prefer:

• 100% mask compliance with no social distancing
  • 100% social distancing compliance with no masks

0 voters

Speaking as someone who is watching a COVID outbreak in real time at an assisted living facility the mask wearing is clutch. Really clutch.

Social distancing costs a hell of a lot more than wearing masks in almost every way and it seems to be a less effective way of preventing the spread than wearing the masks. Wearing masks is the 20% that gets you 80% of the results in this situation. Undermining mask wearing is one of the top 1-2 dumbest things this administration has ever done.

3 Likes

The poll doesn’t make sense, since one can’t resume prepandemic activities while fully distancing from others.

1 Like

He’s talking about a magic 6’ bubble rather than the other aspects of distancing like staying home.

The 6’ bubble is bullshit. It’s a made up thing that is way too small for some situations and way too large for others. At any distance it’s less than 10% as important as just wearing a mask. My wife was <1.5’ from someone who was positive but not yet symptomatic doing physical work (helping to move heavy patients) and didn’t catch the rona because she was wearing a mask. So far none of the staff (who were all wearing masks) are positive but like 25% of the residents are… because they weren’t wearing masks (you can’t get these people to put on masks, they aren’t mentally capable of it).

Another thing that’s obviously bullshit from this weird real world science experiment is the idea that wearing a mask protects others from you rather than the other way around. The mask protects the wearer at least as much as it protects everyone else.

Please sir, “observational study”!

4 Likes

Oh fair enough. Yeah I generally think we’re a bunch of fire monkeys who accidentally evolved a little bit too good of problem solving skills… and that we’re not well evolved at ALL to where we find ourselves now. I would agree that you see people as being better than I do. Shit I think one of the biggest blind spots you have is to the fact that your fellow humans are predictably shitty. So predictably shitty that I want to exploit that innate shittyness for good.

And I know you’re one of the other people who has a lot of sales experience in him… I’m saying we need to sell these people, and the product has to be pretty good to divert them from the current state of the world, which is as good as fire monkeys have ever had it in the aggregate (it just turns out that this level of consumption is wildly unsustainable).

Properly incentivized I think people are just fine. I think that generally speaking you tend to expect a lot more from fire monkey’s than is reasonable. Paradoxically I think this stems from your belief that they can be better than they actually are (big picture, obviously there’s a lot of variation between individuals).

I guess I think that not being better because we weren’t capable of being better is morally superior to not being better because we’re pieces of shit who won’t do better by choice. It’s about the judgement implicit in falling short of expectations. I just expect a whole lot less of humanity, and as a result judge them much less harshly IMO.

I just realized I’ve laid out like seventy ‘biggest differences’ between us over these exchanges. I think they are interrelated, but good posting it is not.

Another factor in humans being good or evil is the society. We are so wealthy we let the people who crash the economy in 2008 go without any jail time.

Imagine not knowing if you will have enough food to last the winter and you caught a tribe member stealing. That person would be killed or banished from the tribe.

4 Likes

This is obviously anecdotal but I’m going to take this as great news and a great data point to reference to jackasses who don’t want to wear masks.