COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Just went to Wegmans grocery. Masks are mandatory but I swear about 10-15-% are worn so poorly as to be functionless.

Noseholes should not be seen.

Itā€™s annoying to see, but unless someone is sneezing, I would assume nasal exhaust doesnā€™t travel far.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/could-covid-19-cause-long-term-chronic-fatigue-and-illness-in-some-patients/2020/05/29/bcd5edb2-a02c-11ea-b5c9-570a91917d8d_story.html

In the fall of 2009, one of us, Beth, was hit by an illness she suspects was H1N1 flu, which was circulating then. In 2012, the other, Brian, developed a sudden fever, which his doctors said was also likely of viral origin.

Neither of us recovered, and weā€™re both disabled to this day.

In addition to emerging reports of damage to lungs, kidneys and hearts, covid-19 patients are complaining of ongoing crushing fatigue, muscle pain, cognitive problems and other symptoms that anyone with ME/CFS is very familiar with.

ā€œIā€™m 69 days after my first symptoms and still feeling fatigued,ā€ wrote Canadian comedian Wayne Jones on Twitter, saying he has tested positive for the new coronavirus. ā€œI also have sore eyes, and weakness and headaches that come and go. All signs point to post-viral fatigue.ā€

Sometimes a precursor to ME/CFS post-viral fatigue syndrome can occur after virtually any viral infection. Symptoms wax and wane; a person can feel fine one day and terrible the next. Exercise or other usual activities can bring fever and often symptoms rushing back. Although there is no known treatment, these problems often resolve on their own.

But patients who have experienced post-viral fatigue syndrome advise the newly ill to rest, rest and rest some more, as returning to normal activities can trigger relapses. If symptoms continue for six months or longer, post-viral fatigue syndrome can convert to a diagnosis of ME/CFS, which is usually lifelong and often devastating. Up to 25 percent of ME/CFS patients are housebound or bedbound for years. There are no treatments approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

After the first SARS epidemic, which sickened 8,000 people worldwide in 2002-2003, one study found that 27 percent of 369 survivors of that variety of coronavirus met the criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome several years later. If figures like this are seen with this novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, which epidemiologists warn will eventually infect 50 to 70 percent of all U.S. residents, our nation is on track for a devastating wave of millions of patients with chronic post-viral illnesses.

The personal and societal costs of ME/CFS are devastating. In 2015, the Institute of Medicine estimated a $24 billion annual U.S. burden in medical costs and lost productivity. For Beth, who was working as a product manager for a software company in San Francisco with a computer science degree from MIT, her lost earnings potential over the past decade can likely be measured in the millions of dollars. Instead of paying taxes on those lost wages, she is drawing monthly Social Security Disability Insurance. For Brian, the week before he became suddenly ill, he wrote a front-page story for The Washington Post, where he was a science writer, on a major advance in theoretical physics, the discovery of the Higgs boson. Six months later, his undiagnosed post-viral illness had gotten so bad he could not remember a four-digit number long enough to tap it into his phone.

My major fear with C19.

5 Likes

100% masks at the grocery store in Concord, NH today. Kind of surprised, to be honest. First time Iā€™ve seen 100% compliance since this started.

1 Like

Alberta is supplying fast food drive thrus with free PPE to distribute to all customers as a way to get it out fast to all citizens.

2 Likes

Letā€™s say the mask provides some intake protection. Iā€™d say probably more employees than the public with the nose showing.

Lol people in this country canā€™t manage a little discomfort. We had medically pros wearing N95s that cut into their faces for 12 hours at a time and these buttercups canā€™t handle a cloth or paper mask for 25 minutes.

1 Like

Exactly. The best strategy with this thing is to stop the spread. The vascular nature scares the bejesus out of me. All kinds of long terms effects. If 10% have long term effects and even only 60,000,000 get infected, thatā€™s still close to 2% of the population.

Lol when people are surprised with studies in 2025 showing what the real damage is.

1 Like

Like that plan.

Saw this the other day - heā€™s not happy.

(I donā€™t know why but I just picture him wearing a kilt here - just the whole shape of everything)

https://mobile.twitter.com/jpm25/status/1266830912999710725

Wait, what? Reading the comments - this may be fake. Or maybe itā€™s Kaiser, where the provider and ins. co. are the same company, and theyā€™re doing some shenanigans for accounting reasons.

If thereā€™s one thing the govt doesnā€™t want medical providers charging an arm and a leg for - itā€™s covid tests.

The ongoing health issues of survivors? Sure, knock yourself out. Prey away.

1 Like

That is the non insurance billing which is always fairly insane because of the way insurers and providers haggle with each other.

That being said, I want to know how much uninsured testers are paying and from what facilities. Given so many different places are doing testing I could see pricing ranging from almost nothing to astronomical.

I havenā€™t heard anyone yet complaining about covid test costs except like one dude way back in Feb. when it first hit. I think everyone agreed to put a reasonable price tag on those.

The problem is it doesnā€™t seem like the federal government is interested in being involved in anything related to Covid except leading the prayer that it magically goes away.

Just more evidence our healthcare system is completely nuts. I donā€™t know if it is fake or not but I have seen so much ridiculous medical billing that it did not even cause me to blink.

Edit: although looking at the summary I do think there is a good chance there were other things on the bill. The insurance paid 9k. So it canā€™t just be a test.

Yeah - even the US govt isnā€™t so dumb that they will allow healthcare providers to price gouge on covid tests, nor do the providers want the bad press.

Yeah, this.

As Iā€™ve learned this year, the ā€œbillā€ you get has nothing with reality - I hit my 10K Deductible Jan 10 this year, and since that time have received ā€œbillsā€ for care as of today (I checked) for $621000+ - with out of pocket for $60 because I wanted to have an MRI closer to my home. Iā€™m on a protocol that is $21K a month for a sound wave generator for my brain mass that Iā€™m paying $250.00 (which is then cancelled) until I hit Medicare in Oct, when itā€™s covered cause Iā€™m 65 (I hope).

What Iā€™m getting these bills have nothing with reality - bullshit numbers with healthcare providers and insurers agreeing with payment agreements between themselves with monopoly money as long as you have ā€œgoodā€ insurance - Medicaid, no pay, crap insurance that is all that people can sometimes get - yeah, that stuff is not so goodā€¦and this stuff is IMPOSSIBLE to figure out without having an MBA if youā€™re trying to keep track on the paperwork - itā€™s completely bonkers trying to sort it all out - I have 2 thick binders full of this stuff.

MM MD

5 Likes

No chance itā€™s $10,000 for a test.

Lol, you poor bastard. Was that at the Stick, or AT&T?

Btw fuck the Candlestick haters. Yeah that place was terrible but I loved it like a child.

Also, what part of Roseville were you living in?

?

1 Like