COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Crazy times here. With all the counties around us opening, and so many people just saying “fuck it” even with Safer at Home in place, I guess they decided keeping certain businesses closed didn’t make sense anymore.

On some level I get it. Unless we’re going to lock down until a vaccine, which we aren’t, we’ve got to find some level of life we can live while reducing risk. The problem, again, is that people don’t seem capable of incremental change.

All I can do is try to keep myself and my family as safe as possible.

2 Likes

Boyintheplasticbubble

1 Like

That dog is so cute.

I love yellow labs.

If anyone knows who came up with the bright idea of tying healthcare to employment, lmk. I’d like to kick his (of course it was a dude) grandkids in the nuts.

p.s. Thanks everyone.

5 Likes

The first employer-sponsored hospitalization plan was created by teachers in Dallas, Texas in 1929.

In truth, it was hardly preordained. In fact, the system is largely a result of one event, World War II, and the wage freezes and tax policy that emerged because of it. Unfortunately, what made sense then may not make as much right now.

2 Likes

Yes, but in a different way. The first was not very good in a low budget B-movie sort of way. Beyond Thunderdome is spectacularly bad in super cheesy, big budget, “omg what were they thinking?” fashion.

You should give it a watch. I think you’d appreciate it.

I just checked, and am quite surprised to see it initially received and still mostly has positive reviews.

I’m sorry to hear man. Make sure she applies for unemployment today. Then apply for your local Medicare equivalent asap as well. If you can get it done by Friday, that will probably work better. I know Cali bennies kicked in the first day of the month following a 30 day waiting period, so you dont want to be out of benefits until Aug 1 by waiting until June 1 to file.

1 Like

Sorry man. That really sucks.

We’re on work visas from Canada so no unemployment benefits I don’t think. Will apply for MediCal tomorrow, thanks.

1 Like

Protest in LA and the cops are chasing protesters around. Oh…wrong thread. They aren’t protesting masks.

2 Likes

Fuck, bummer man. Thoughts and prayers being bs, know that I am still hoping for the best for you guys.

Escaping back to Canada an option?

2 Likes

I’m not sure that’s true, and even if it is she should apply anyway.

2 Likes

Are you both on separate visas or is one of you on a work authorization because the other is on a work visa?

Got booked for a test this Friday. Should be interesting. Not sure how long it takes for result.

Are they tear gassing and beating them like in Minnesota or cowering from them like in Michigan?

“Are they white?” is a more concise question that gets the same answer you want.

2 Likes

Good point from ZZ here. Worst they can do is say no

2 Likes

I’m here as the main and she’s authorized to work because of me. How come?

Yeah, I don’t think that “lock down and we’ll have a vaccine in a year” is a viable strategy. It’s planning around the best-case scenario, the same thing that reopening quickly and immediately does, if you can call that a plan. I think the opening plan should be based on an assumption that it will be 3-5 years before there is a vaccine with some chance that there never is. How that should proceed depends on what the tolerance for risk is.