COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

You might have missed the other barbershop trip report that involves kissing.

1 Like

This argument for opening colleges doesn’t really make sense? We can’t open campus (which I assume means in-person classes) without professors in class. My cursory googling says that the average age of a full prof is 55. That changes the calculations in your quote by A LOT.

At a research university there are going to be as many or more employees than there are students. That doesn’t count all the vendors/visitors/etc to campus, and the typically closely connected surrounding community.

1 Like

Saw orthodontist today. Wore mask as required according to email they sent. They do temp check and have me fill out a questionaire. They don’t seem to be following other precautions they listed (making patients hand wash and mouth rinse). Receptionist wearing mask below nose. Orthodontist talking office politics with assistant while he has his hand in my mouth. Apparently one of the other assistants is a real slacker. Yet another has a sore throat so he’s speculating she is pregnant or has corona. This guy is a climate denialist but at least he was adamant he doesn’t want her coming in sick. After I left I got a call to come back because they’d given me the wrong set of aligners. Can confirm they are open for business.

8 Likes

Is there a possibility that reckless businesses are sued out of existence once this is over?

I stopped reading Letters in Penthouse probably 35 years ago. ;)

2 Likes

Find a new provider and tell the old provider why.

2 Likes

I’m so petty I left my last dentist because he had a bible on prominent display in the waiting room.

5 Likes

5589c0a72acae7b7188b46fd

4 Likes

If it works for them, why not use it

She should have said it was just locker room talk.

3 Likes

Yeah, and why do these analyses always stop at one step? Like, okay we can grant that if young students get COVID, maybe it’s not all that bad (this is still arguable but for the sake of this hypothetical let’s go with it).

But the virus won’t stop there. The students will pass it on: to university faculty, university staff, staff at the local businesses that cater to students, their families (lots of students commute at most universities), etc. Then those people will in turn pass it on, and so on.

This seems obvious to me, am I off somehow?

Agreed. I don’t think it really violates the spirit or the letter of the order, but it is bad optics from the person who is trying to enforce the order. The demarcation for them should be crystal clear.

Lol jewelry.

One of of my FWs sons, a freshman at Cal, got Covid in the dorms, and didn’t die… instead he has gone from a “hikes 20 miles as a goof” young man, to now needing a cane to walk.

Since the “before times”.

I love this. Haven’t seen it before

I don’t disagree, but this also reads like NYT DINER fanfic.

The college I work for in Western NY appears to be taking a sensible approach. Lots of due diligence on potential re-opening strategies vis a vis the potential for students to return to campus in the fall, but it appears that we are going to stay almost fully distance modalities through the end of the year. Brainstorming some ways to safely deliver instruction that requires equipment/hands-on type of stuff like nursing, engineering, etc. Some potential for minimal lab-type stuff being available with strict distancing and sanitization protocols.

Also sounds like they are willing to let staff that can perform their job duties remotely continue to do so perhaps in perpetuity, even when the students return to campus.

This is in a partially-open-for-business county with <3000 total cases and ~200 deaths and about 750k population. I think I feel decent about this.

1 Like

I believe you that this happened. I also don’t think the young uns should be going out actively trying to catch this thing. But I put as much stock in this as when some guy tells me he knows a 70 year old who got COVID and didn’t die so this whole thing is overblown. Anecdotes are just that.

Of course. I was just sharing (bad news, sorry folks).

Not a lawdude but I suppose businesses will be sued, some successfully. Despite my complaints, these guys are probably better than average is my guess.

LA is a good example that in a lot of places the only difference in red and blue states is the rhetoric. We’re opening up despite every metric trending worse in the last few weeks.

2 Likes