COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Yeah knowing now that smear transmission isn’t nearly as much of a thing as feared early on, I guess I wouldn’t be horribly fearful of just hitting the power rack, doing my main stuff and whatever accessories I could do there without venturing elsewhere (briefly becoming the asshole who curls in the rack). I’m in NJ though, so gyms will probably be (rightly so) very slow to open up.

I would just forgo the least valuable accessory work and hammer out some fundamentals (squat, deadlift, bench, press, pull ups) for maximum efficiency. I think one could stay pretty strong just banging out 3 sets of 5 on all those things, 3 days a week. Do chins instead of pull ups if you really need a bicep pump.

1 Like

Lol @ anyone here going to a gym. You know better than that. I can’t even believe this is a discussion.

8 Likes

I strongly agree but I also understand addiction to weight lifting, lol. What we’re discussing is like safe injection sites, man, it’s about damage control for people that can’t help themselves.

5 Likes

I probably missed this but do you have a cite?

Euroside we’re still washing our hands 6 - 10 times daily (more than 10 has no benefit apparently), everythings being wiped down etc.

EDIT - I guess this may be down to low numbers of reports of peeps catching covid whilst quarantining (properly)

My thoughts exactly. I just cancelled my membership for good.

Your gym has steroid injection sites?

3 Likes

I definitely wouldn’t totally discount the idea of surface transmission, the biggest thing would be to be 100% cognizant of not touching my face during the whole workout (including wiping sweat, even with a towel) and then washing my hands thoroughly once I’m done.

Anyway this is all theoretical, nothing’s opening soon here and I’m by no means gonna be a day 1 guinea pig when it does. If I still belonged to a 24hr place, I guess I might think about going at 11pm or 4am or some wackiness.

1 Like

JUST HIT 100,000 BEST ECONOMY IN HISTORY

WORKING HARD THANK YOU

2 Likes

So you washed your hands and stopped getting colds. Why bother washing hands if smear transmission is not a thing with covid? This seems a low standard of scientific based evidence than you usually seek?

I think you misunderstood his post - he was saying that his “washing my hands cured me from colds” was as rigorous as the scientific evidence that suggests you can’t get Big 'Rona from touching a doorknob, that is, not very.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, I see now - thanks

1 Like

Someone else is in that same gym on a treadmill absolutely spewing misty breath into a closed room, right? Even weightlifters are all grunting and stuff.

Racquetball seems like a bad idea huh

The most important thing I learned in this clip is that after spending 40 years in the US, Arnold’s accent has somehow gotten thicker and harder to understand.

1 Like

Right. I’d be way more worried breathing everyone else’s circulated exhaust then I would be about smear transmission.

2 Likes

Seems to matter a lot, no? All the precautions with wiping down are nice, but that’s like a fringe reduction in your overall risk. If inside + heavy breathing is the nut low combination, then gyms are just about the worst place you can go.

Seems to me some of these outdoor parties on the news over the weekend would be quite a bit safer than a gym.

2 Likes

No comment, I didn’t see nuttin.

Raising my hand.

2 Likes

Yeah, could be. Might depend on size, layout, ventilation of gym.

I have workout equipment at home so I am not going in to the gym anytime soon. I am, however, very hopeful that @gman42 starts to workout regularly in a dangerous contamination zone so we can all see what happens to him. Take one for the UP team @gman42.

2 Likes