COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

https://twitter.com/chicagosmayor/status/1265005179201601536?s=19

bda3e8feb61f67ea45ed02f7274f3ed7

6 Likes

Number of deaths doesn’t mean shit. They have to be directly impacted to care. But that could be 30% of Americans to make an impact.

1 Like

That’s not even the scary part. The scary part is day 62-63 or whatever.

2 Likes

Even that might not matter. We’ve all seen these stories of fourth-generation farmers who have had their livelihoods ruined because of Trump’s trade policies and most of them say “yup, I’ll vote for him again”.

1 Like

“He tells it like it is.”

1 Like

“Things might be horrible for me and my family, but at least brown people are finally getting put back in their place.”

1 Like

“My dad kicked your dad’s ass. He died on a ventilator and yours died crumpled over a chair in the emergency room.”

This is true, but I think that a very serious depression, like food shortages and gas shortages, etc., is still on the table. That is the only realistic event I can see that impacts Trumpers directly enough to demand that he actually do something.

As a math geek, I’m very disappointed it includes the answer.

I don’t know. I’m trying to imagine a person who is with Donald Trump today who is going to change their mind based on future events. I truly can’t imagine that person. I’m sure he or she exists, somewhere, maybe? In the true disaster Covid outcome scenarios he probably just declares a national emergency, cancels the election, SCOTUS says fine and Nancy writes a letter, game over.

2 Likes

Hardly any farmers have felt even an ounce of pain. Yea the markets have collapsed, but they are throwing so much money at farmers it’s absurd. Most are just trying to break even and collect hundreds of thousands from the government.

It’s a good thing all the lefties in the country are confined to the coasts and all the Trumpkins live in shithole flyover country. Would be a damn shame if reasonable people and their families were stuck in states with Governors that are Trump sycophants rushing to endanger their constituents.

1 Like

Every actual rich Republican I know is personally taking this very seriously. Still all guaranteed to vote for Trump again, obviously.

1 Like

Tell me about it.

Up until a few days ago, it was 90% peeps with masks around me. Today, Memorial Day, it wasn’t a big weekend busy… it was typical summer weekend busy. Less than 10% of peeps, not counting folks obviously on the clock, with masks in public. I didn’t go into any of these places, LOL @ that, but the bars were plenty busy too. Spotting folks not 6’ apart from obvious strangers was tough. ZOMG humans are too stupid to deserve to live.

Second wave hitting San Diego in… (how many days? IDK but it’s already on the way)

Honestly though, National Donut Day is easily one of the most agreeable and non-problematic holidays we have here in the US and I hope it catches on.

4 Likes

Driving up to Dunkin and getting a free donut is the grownup version of trick-or-treating. It’s great shit but for this whole pandemic situation. I would absolutely sub out Columbus Day for National Donut Day any day of the week.

Actually, I’m just now looking at the wikipedia entry for donuts and they seem to be a very early fixture of American culture. Like, they seem more quintessentially American than apple pie or even hot dogs:

The name oly koeks was almost certainly related to the oliekoek : a Dutch delicacy of “sweetened cake fried in fat.”[10]

According to anthropologist Paul R. Mullins, the first cookbook mentioning doughnuts was an 1803 English volume which included doughnuts in an appendix of American recipes. He also traces its origins to the oliekoek that arrived in America with the Dutch settlers in the early 18th century. By the mid-19th century, the doughnut looked and tasted like today’s doughnut, and was viewed as a thoroughly American food.

A curious thing about donuts is that we as a nation don’t spend a lot of time bickering about how to spell “donut.” It seems that “doughnut” is vaguely considered to be the proper spelling among scholars, but still Dunkin Donuts is our most prominent chain and no one seems to have a problem with that. Tim Hortons also seem to have adopted this spelling, as has my own local indie donut shop. It’s like we as a nation love to argue about stupid pedantic shit but also we’ve agreed that you can spell “doughnut” any way you like and we’re all cool with that. This is the era of the internet where we argue at each other incessantly about the dumbest possible shit like whether it should be called “soda” or “pop,” but fundamentally no one gives a rip what the correct spelling of donut/doughnut is supposed to be.

5 Likes

Yeah, ok, the one holiday you want to keep is in honor of diabetes and prejudiced against people who can’t eat gluten. And give all your money to Dunkin Donuts who undoubtedly have some problematic political contributions in their closet.

Ok, so I know we all know Georgia was cooking the stats by combining serology and molecular tests, but have we discussed that even when they combine them to show the number of tests performed, they are only reporting positive molecular tests as positive cases?

So if they administered 100 of each test and they got back 5 positives in each group, they would report 200 tests administered but only 5 cases.

https://twitter.com/TheJedReport/status/1265077534862872582?s=19

7 Likes

Yeah I don’t get this. I would stake my life on drunk people hanging out twelve inches apart outside will absolutely allow the virus to spread successfully.