COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1264915135136698370

Virginia doing well. 250 more new cases today(1483) than their previous all time high. Also one hell of a new case curve over time:

Iā€™m torn. It is raining here which usually puts a damper on big holiday plans but I assume everyone will make it worse and congregate inside.

Outbreaks of COVID-19 have struck nine industrial facilities in Vernon, including five meatpacking plants, Los Angeles County health officials said Sunday.

The largest outbreak occurred at the Smithfield Foods-owned Farmer John plant ā€” producer of the beloved Dodger Dog ā€” where 153 of 1,837 employees tested positive for COVID-19 between March and May, the Department of Public Health said.

Though Vernon has just a few dozen residents and is almost exclusively industrial, workers who have contracted the virus in the city just south of Los Angeles could spread it in their own communities, the county warned. On Sunday, health officials reported 940 new cases of the novel coronavirus and 14 related deaths countywide.

Did a little food shopping today:

Around 25% of people in my neighborhood wore masks outside despite it no longer being mandatory. If you combine that with the people who had a mask visibly on them but not wearing it, then itā€™s safe to say that the majority of people in the CR are wearing masks in some circumstances.

The vast majority of people in the small stores I went into were wearing masks though there were a few who werenā€™t even though they are still required in stores where social distancing cannot be guaranteed.

I have to wonder if people have become attached to them in the same way that a baby might have a blanket that they refuse to let go of.

900 new cases in Florida today. I think they usually update in the evening so I wonder if that number will go up.

Or down

9 Likes

Wait, fuckmuffin is worried about giving o2 to bad ideas and conspiracies? I mean like bad ideas and conspiracies comprise about 99% of the content of the forum that he moderates.

4 Likes

TBF 97% of that 99% is one poster.

Yeah, itā€™s kind of sad that it seems like that part is being left out. I can definitely see this being the case. The urgent care I did my ā€œtele-visitā€ with just had me fill out a questionnaire that I said I had a sore throat occasionally and a low grade fever that was not over 100.4. They sent me a work release to go back to work in 2 days and said it was a sinus infection that should go away with some allergy medicine and ibuprofen. Sounds like the hairdresser could have followed the steps correctly and it sounds like great clips did as well. Judging by some of the reactions on the Springfield-Greene county health Facebook page Iā€™d say cox urgent care clinic should be getting most of the blame for this.

Apparently that hairdresser was cleared to go back to work at Great Clips by an urgent care clinic. This is a poster on CP relaying their experience with one. Pretty awesome that apparently an urgent care clinic can give you the go ahead to go back to work with a tele-visit.

1 Like
3 Likes

Gonna be pretty close on if we hit 100k today on Worldometers. The new cases seem unchanged to up in most places this weekend but the deaths are the lowest they have been in a while. I assume that is because people dying now are the last of the lockdown deaths plus normal weekend variance.

The East Coast sucks.

Do you think the west coast of Florida is any better?

5 Likes
2 Likes

This shit and the people I live around are starting to make me question reality lmao. Iā€™m glad for this thread.

2 Likes

Same. Either we are crazy or a huge section of society in the US is crazy. Right now we are at an inflection point where it is honestly hard to tell.

3 Likes

I really hope Iā€™m not stepping on another 3rd rail here, but all these 20-somethings congregating out in sunshine really donā€™t bother me that much. The odds of transmission are probably low - and to some extent we need the healthy youngs to go out and get that herd immunity so at least the second (third?) wave in the fall isnā€™t as bad.

A mini bump in the summer that fills ICUs w/o overloading them will probably make the inevitable fall/winter bump less severe. Iā€™m not counting on a vaccine until maybe next summer and even then itā€™s not a given.

Also luckily for us, we donā€™t have the population density of N. Italy and a huge % of unmarried youngs donā€™t live and eat meals with their extended family. I know most of these white American choads out raging at pool parties arenā€™t hugging grandma every night. Thatā€™s just not how our people roll.

Immigrant communities, like Bronx/Queens/East LA/etc. are another story obviously.

2 Likes

All these videos represent a small fraction. I donā€™t know anyone thatā€™s doing stuff like this. Even the Trumpkins in my family are being vigilant for the most part. Thereā€™s just a lot of stupid people out there that donā€™t pay attention. But for those paying attention, I donā€™t think many are doing stuff like this.

My Trumpkin BIL posted that Ozark video on Facebook. But the conversation is about how gross it is to share a pool with all these strangers, not how America is open for business.

1 Like

I hope you are right. As to suzzerā€™s point I donā€™t disagree to an extent but the real risk is when they go home from white trash euphoria and infect all of the actual vulnerable people around them. I could care less if any of those morons get it or die. But I do care about their parents or coworkers who diligently stayed home in May and will subsequently be killed by some meathead Lake of the Ozarks partier. Those are the deaths that will be tragic.

5 Likes