COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

? Are these different from the at-home tests we use in the US?

No idea what you use in the US.

Collect from both nostrils, swill the Q-tip into the clear liquid reagent and put 3 drops of it into some part of the test which is held in place by white plastic.

Mine turned red which meant it was negative.

He thinks that the gluten in bread makes him sick even if he doesn’t ingest it, you merely have to hold the bread up against his body and he becomes sick. I’m not kidding, he is this stupid.

1 Like

Has anyone contacted school administration. This is absolutely insane.

Dude is Pozzed.

https://twitter.com/meidastouch/status/1478834609236238338?s=21

4 Likes

And nobody ever defend this asshole here ever again pls.

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1478926557695647752?s=21

2 Likes

My wife talked to the vice principal and also passed this along to the school board member she knows. I’m livid, but it’s not actually clear to me who has the power to do anything. Can a school force a child to take a covid test, or expel a student from the school grounds based on a rumored positive test?

I mean, if the school/district actually wanted to do something, I’m sure they would. But our trash district doesn’t actually want to do anything except ignore it.

1 Like

Where is this? In LA I’m pretty sure the county health department would get involved. And yeah they wouldn’t kick the kid out based on him shooting his mouth off in class (it is definitely possible he was talking shit), but they’d investigate at least.

1 Like

This is true as a rule of individual decision-making only. In real-world collective decision-making processes, you can’t just naively choose between two alternatives based on your preferences, or you’ll be vulnerable to exploitation. (See here.) An extreme illustration is hostage-taking. If you’ll pay any ransom to get your hostage back alive, you end up paying a lot of ransoms and, even worse, encourage people to take hostages from you. Tolerating a situation where schools are treated as the circuit-breaker of first resort creates more school closures and encourages people to take more risks with the expectation that someone else will help mitigate the consequences.

2 Likes

I think it’s great that libertarians are now big fans of public education.

2 Likes

Yeah I was sort of floored by it myself, and its a highly vaccinated/freshly vaccinated school too. Maybe some sort of error in their reporting where symptomatic tests are being mixed in or something, but I know roughly 30% of the on campus pools were positive and you werent supposed to be there if symptomatic. Even assuming some compliance leaks, goddamn.

Kind of why Im skeptical this is going to work. Doesnt even have anything to do with school spread or anything like that, just going to run out of bodies to teach school and have a huge portion of the school remote/unavailable anyways.

I did check, it is Montgomery county using a similar metric and that went from like 11 schools over the threshold to like 120. They are keeping most of them open for now, but I just dont think it holds.

My kids school is trying to open today, but I expect getting past the next school testing day will be challenging. The preschool my other kid goes to has half the cohorts closed and is probably one more teacher poz/quarantine away from full shutdown.

Hopefully this wont be as disruptive for as long as 2020/2021 in high vax areas, but the next 4-8 weeks just seem like too much COVID to work.

Lol. A year.

We are going to start seeing presidential primary advertisements as soon as the midterms are over

Hopefully peaking soon because we are about to blow through last years hospitalization peak with lower effective capacity due to healthcare attrition. The mild vertical line isnt very comforting though.

EDIT: NY data also has ICU approaching last winter’s peak.

2 packs of quick test kits selling for $99 locally. Is that what people are actually paying now? I thought they were like $5/kit.

Yeah that’s price gouging. We paid like $10 for 2.

1 Like

Dublin Ohio. I’m not sure Franklin County health department would investigate, because I’m not sure they have the authority to compel someone to reveal their health information.

When I’ve been able to buy the Binax kits through Walmart, they were $14 for a 2-pack. But:

1. They haven’t been available for some time.
  2. I believe they had an arrangement with the federal government to sell them at cost, but that arrangement has now expired and they’ve raised the price to $20 for a 2-pack.

Edit: From 2 days ago:

Walmart, Kroger and Amazon had been selling over-the-counter tests “at cost” with a discount of up to 35% from retail prices for the last three months as part of a deal with the Biden administration.

Walmart said in a statement to USA TODAY that the program ended in mid-December, but that it held the price of the Abbott BinaxNOW kits at $14 through the holidays. The price increased to $19.88 on Tuesday for the two-test kits.

At Kroger, the price of the two-test BinaxNOW antigen kits is now $23.99.

“We fulfilled our commitment to the Biden Administration to sell at cost for 100 days and that pricing program has now phased out and retail pricing has been reinstated,” Kroger said in a statement to USA TODAY.

1 Like

I envision a standoff w him holding his tennis racket to keep the dirty coppers away.

3 Likes

They still hate public education but they hate their kids home all day even more.

2 Likes

The goal was to keep classes with infected students separate from the others (students who tested positive were obviously sent home).

However, they still had electives which is where classes split up into separate subject groups and sit next to each other. Makes absolutely no sense to me.