COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Yeah, same, I thought early 70s. Fauci, I love ya, but it’s time to pass the torch. No more sciencin’ for you.

2 Likes

Day 8 of Covid. Back to ~80%. First day I’ve felt mostly normal and didn’t sleep most of the day. Gonna try to find a rapid test tomorrow. Headaches, aches, chills, fever all gone. Chest a little sore, energy still pretty low and have a mild cough.

0/10 do not recommend.

26 Likes

My cough has stayed the same since day 6 or 7. (Now day 14 and definitely better otherwise) I hear it can stick around for a while.

Had a PCR test this morning. Flying back to Australia on friday depends on sinking a negative. I figure it’s about 50 50.

3 Likes

UK’s 7dma now dropping like a rock off the peak. 7DMA down 19 percent from the peak 8 days ago per nytimes tracker. Source: United Kingdom Coronavirus Map and Case Count - The New York Times

NY also looks like it is now at the peak. 7dma has been decreasing for the last couple of days, but not enough data yet to call it.

4 Likes
1 Like

This is one where I really hope he has a good outcome, even though he’s an ass, because governor of a deplorable state who is pro-vaccine and vaccinated/boosted having a bad outcome will be a hit to vaccine uptake. Sounds like / looks like he’s got a fair amount of comorbidities.

1 Like

All

Personal accounts are much appreciated. @Rugby careful with those Aussie border control rules (I’m assuming you don’t have Tennis Australia fighting for you).

2 Likes

Wow. That’s a stat.

It’s a lay article so no real cites. Still a quick interesting read.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/01/11/health/deliberate-omicron-infection-wellness/index.html

That said I am nowhere near the hermit as the pre-vax days. Careful but know not careful enough to have confidence it’s not coming my way. Delicate balance of marriage sanity and Covid avoidance.

1 Like

Yeah, I mean, measles parties were dumb, chickenpox parties were dumb, and Omicron parties are dumb. Stupidity is eternal.

The number of cases confirmed over the past seven days is 13% down on the previous week.

But does this really mean the Omicron wave has peaked?

These are, after all, only the people who come forward for testing.

As infections have risen to record levels there have been reports of people struggling to get access to tests.

The figures also exclude - apart from in Wales - those who are re-infected, something that has become increasingly common with the rise of the Omicron variant.

And a regular survey, that aims to calculate levels of Covid in the population at large, appears to show the testing programme is picking up a smaller proportion of cases than it once did.

It means there needs to be a degree of caution when it comes to interpreting what is happening.

Instead, the biggest clue Omicron may be peaking, and arguably a more important measure of Covid, is how many cases are ending up in hospital. From this data we can see the number of admissions appears to have plateaued at just above 2,200 a day in the UK, about half last winter’s peak.

The national figure, however, masks what is happening regionally and between different nations.

London, where Omicron took off quickly, started seeing a drop first. There is now a clear downward trend in admissions.

Elsewhere there are signs of falls too, or at least a flattening.

But the trend in the north-east of England and Yorkshire is still upwards. Omicron has not peaked everywhere - at least in terms of hospital admissions.

And the sun’s finally shining.

1 Like

Encouraging, but there’s no way those cases are resolved. It’s a pretty nifty study design though

The projection was based on the seven million new cases reported across Europe in the first week of 2022.

The number of infections has more than doubled in a two-week period.

“Today the Omicron variant represents a new west-to-east tidal wave, sweeping across the region on top of the Delta surge that all countries were managing until late 2021,” Dr Kluge told a news conference.

He quoted the Seattle-based Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation as forecasting that “more than 50 percent of the population in the region will be infected with Omicron in the next six to eight weeks”.

It’s having a occupation that you love to keep you active and moving. Fauci will be dead a few weeks after his last day at work.

This isn’t a joke I’m 100% serious. I’ve seen this happen quite a few times. Someone has a job that is their entire identity that they are literally the best at out there and they remain extremely sharp cognitively without losing a step… and then they retire and die immediately.

Why isn’t that happening with our political leaders you ask (the staying sharp part)? That’s because being a politician is a shitty job that doesn’t actually require much of you. The kinds of occupations I’m talking about are actually interesting. Fauci’s job is a great example, but I’ve seen it three times (including the dying part) personally and I’m sure the rest of the forum has seen it a bunch too.

2 Likes

Fauci is the kind of guy who, if he retires from full time traditional work, will have 50 hour per week gigs as a Board member / speaker / presenter / etc. He’s not going to go home and watch TV.

I feel like this has happened a more than a few times with famous/media folks too. Charles Schultz died like literally the day the last new Peanuts strip ran. Roger Ebert announced he was retiring from doing regular movie reviews but might write a special column once in a while, then died two days later.

Maybe that works for him, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t. Those board member speaker presenter things are mostly bullshit busy work crap probably.

I absolutely understand why intentionally infecting yourself with a potentially severe illness is a stupid idea but I do not find this article super persuasive. Reasons #1 and #2 are “you could get really sick”. Which is obviously true, but it’s also true if I get infected unintentionally. To me right now, it really seems inevitable that I’m going to get infected one way or the other unless my entire family enters March 2020 lockdown mode. If someone wants to argue we should be doing that, great. But without doing that, it really seems inevitable.

Reason #3 - you’re putting children and other people who can’t get vaccinated in harms way - resonates more, but again unless I’m going into full lockdown, that feels true regardless.

Reason #4 - stress on the healthcare system - resonates the most with me. I do regard it as inevitable, but I’d rather not get it when hospitals are so full. It also seems like a super bad time to have a heart attack, acute appendicitis, a car accident, etc. All good reasons to lay low.

Reason #5 - “don’t intentionally get a serious illness, dumbass” is obviously true.

Perhaps my big mistake is in assuming that infection is inevitable even when being cautious? I would feel better if somebody could tell me that if I continue reasonable precautions I probably won’t get infected. But I know tons of people who aren’t out licking doorknobs who are sick, and I have a 13 year old and a 16 year old going to school every day. It really does seem like a matter of time.

Probably will regret posting this.

1 Like

I’m kinda with LFS. With me working in person and having my son in day care, it really does feel like me and my family catching Omicron is a matter of when, not if.

I have to admit, now that our son is home through next Thursday, I’m kinda just hoping to catch it now, quarantine as a family for a week and a half, and be done with it for a while.

Worst case life disruption wise is that day care is shut down for a week and a half, we don’t catch it through this entire time, then in like a week we get COVID and then we have to go into quarantine for another 10 days.