COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

i never leave my house though. tues was maybe the first time in a ~week

Oh, it sounds likely you contracted what you have now on Tuesday, Iā€™m just saying itā€™s still more likely than not an illness other than covid unless/until you test positive for covid. Not that the other things it could be (influenza/parainfluenza/RSV/Coxsackie/strep/a million other things) donā€™t also suck. Also, you might want to go see a doctor. I think if you have a sore throat theyā€™ll usually swab you for strep since that is something you definitely want to treat, but @CaffeineNeeded should probably chime in against my uninformed musings here.

1 Like

Had to run errands today and everyone is freaking coughing openly and freely.

I acted like I got sprayed with mace.

2 Likes

hopefully i didnt get flu/covid + foot/hand/mouth from my nephew lol. I resigned myself to the latter, pretty unavoidable

A sore throat is a hallmark of Coxsackie (Hand foot & Mouth), and itā€™s also contagious as all fuck.

1 Like

Yeah nothing going around now has a 1 day incubation. If itā€™s RSV, it could be from an exposure a week ago

Im just kind of doubtful that RSV issues say, Texas in 2022 can really be linked to COVID precautions. They basically had none last winter.

Obviously RSV and flu outbreaks happened in normal course pr COVID, but the stuff Ive read about immune response to COVID and epi twitter just makes me pretty nervous. Hopefully turns out to be more rebound than anything, but if you told me we were just going to return to like 1970s level life expectancy for awhile I wouldnt really bat an eye in surprise either.

I mean, if this was true and there was a global corrosion of everyoneā€™s immune system Iā€™d think weā€™d see a lot more evidence than ā€œgee RSV is bad this year.ā€

Possible. Pretty sure I had RSV about 4 weeks ago though. Reinfection is pretty unlikely, right?

Just pozzed, first time in the whole pandemic. Got my bivalent booster about 3 weeks ago too.

Super mild symptoms, the only reason I bothered testing is because I was going to visit a friend who has kids tonight.

FiancƩ remains negative.

11 Likes

No idea. Seems unlikely, but I donā€™t really know RSV

I donā€™t think RSV is bad this year proves the case for immunity issues post COVID

I do think there is a fair but of smoke around COVID having population level adverse health affects beyond the acute phase. For example, thereā€™s a growing acceptance that long COVID type effects are a material driver of lower labor participation rates.

Immunity issues would only be a subset of these effects, but Iā€™m really concerned that the secondary effects of mass infection are going to be a real population level public health problem.

1 Like

This is my best guess, too. Iā€™m really hoping Iā€™m wrong, though.

Iā€™m really, really rooting for you to be right on this.

Like a massive monkeypox outbreak? This one to me was very concerning because it was believed to have an R0 slightly < 1, which would make it a prime candidate to spill over into being able to grow exponentially if a lot of peopleā€™s immune systems weakened a little bit.

Obviously itā€™s not proof, but if you made a list of possible viruses that could have outbreaks if most of our immune systems were weakened just a little bit, it would have made the list and probably been near the top of it.

Yeah I mean the second half of this sentence is a lock IMO regardless of the first part. Mainly because, as you pointed out a few posts up, our healthcare system in the US in particular was already fucked.

Weird disease outbreaks happen all the time. A worldwide decrease in immunity across the board is something that would be so massive that the people who study this for a living would have noticed and published reports on it by now.

1 Like

Every smart immuno-type person Iā€™ve followed have been super hesitant about immunity debt issue (ie kids havenā€™t been exposed to RSV yet or whatever). Doesnā€™t really make much sense tbh, kids who are older tend to do well with RSV. Them getting it later should be a good thing generally. The kiddos hurt worst by this are also young enough that they were born well after the pandemic. Weā€™re talking kiddos born last February or so.

The prevailing theories are generally ā€œitā€™s just a bad yearā€ and ā€œcovid made immune systems worseā€. Iā€™m in no way qualified to really comment about it tbh. Way outside of what I do.

And then the follow up if itā€™s that COVID made immune systems worse, did they make them worse more like sleep deprivation makes them worse or more like losing your spleen makes them worse. Like, can we recover that function in a relatively short amount of time (aka survive the first few infections post-weakening and youā€™re good to go), or is this forever?

Also will repeat COVID infections excaserbate the problem?

These are among the key answers I want before just going fully back to normal. Same questions more or less applied to like increased stroke risk, lung risk, brain fog, etc.

Im probably as close to back to normal as Im going to get. I mask in certain places where Iā€™ll probably mask forever and cut way down on indoor dining and other indoor events, but I dont really expect things to get better than they are now for many years (and if theres long-term issues with catching COVID, probably not soon enough to help our generation).

I didnt really expect to reach old age pre COVID though, and I certainly dont expect it now.

How is hospital staffing headcount compared to pre COVID?

I donā€™t mean to single you out, because a lot of people think this, but Iā€™m curious about what you think (or anyone else) is the exact mechanism by which this is occurring? The best I ever get is some links to papers which are quite speculative which contain data even the authors believe it is difficult to draw conclusions from. And that is really best case. Normally, itā€™s ā€œI remember reading a tweet about itā€.

Check out Anthony leonardi on twitter. Wont vouch for everything he says or anything, but will have a good discussion of mechanisms, studies, etc