COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Ok, well, a very commonly given tetanus booster is Td, which just protects against tetanus and diphtheria. There is no coverage for pertussis. If tetanus boosters are “more for the pertussis”, then why would they make this vaccine.

I suppose you could have a point if we’re talking about kids, but the whole thing came up in the context of an adult getting a booster.

You got some links or evidence for this claim?

Very commonly huh? You sure?

Let me know Dr melk the fuck would I know? Not like I do this shit all day every day.

Why don’t you just explain as you know the current situation to be instead of being a dink about it?

2 Likes

Well I’ve had it myself twice. And it’s recommended on the CDC website How uncommon can it be? If you’ve got a breakdown or something you could provide it.

Or you could answer the very simple question of why they even make it, if the main point is pertussis.

It has been a while since I had it, so as I said at the beginning, I realize it is possible something could have changed since I last looked into it.

So, this should be easy. Aren’t you Mr. Evidence Based medicine? I’m just looking for something that says the main point of a tetanus booster isn’t tetanus, it’s pertussis.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Oh really? Weird, because you were wrongly telling me about what type of tetanus vaccinations are generally used.

Was I? I must have missed your link where you showed it? Maybe you can post it again.

Feel free to look it up. I’m not wasting time on something I already know.

How about a citation for the statement below? We wouldn’t want to confuse or mislead anybody regarding medical information and vaccines, now would we?

2 Likes

LOL ikes, ikesing again as usual. I feel like this may end just like the last time you decided to make a clearly inaccurate claim (that was about men who have sex with men and the risk of getting HIV) and just fall back on Dr. Ikes. I guess that time you at least had the courtesy to goal post shift to “well, they’re not as different as everyone thinks”.

But I guess this time we won’t even get that. Dr. Ikes is above things like logic and evidence.

If pertussis is the main point, why does a Td vaccine without pertussis coverage even exist. Just logic us through that. It won’t even require a link.

Or you could link us to some evidence of your claim.

Or you could just go with, “I’m Dr. Ikes, I don’t need to explain myself using logic and evidence”.

Sadly, it looks like you’re choosing the last option. You’ve made so much progress over the last 10 years, but you can do even better.

As I have already said a couple of times, there may be some evidence on this that I’m unaware of. That’s totally possible. And if you have it, I’d like to see it.

2 Likes

I feel where you’re coming from, maybe you can tell me what the correct play is here. Ikes makes a claim, I question it, he comes over the top with “I don’t need to explain myself, I’m Dr. Ikes.”

What’s my line at that point?

I’m seriously asking here, as you seem like a very reasonable person.

Dip-tet containment thread plz

3 Likes

No, not really.

2 Likes

At this point if the forum was moderated fairly CN would produce a citation or catch a temp ban. But moderators are not allowed to moderate CN.

Alternatively, CN could provide a citation for his claim just like he’s frequently insisted that others do.

Thanks for the advice. I will reflect upon it.

#1 I think does people a disservice. I actually remember such an exchange where you (specifically you) were done (a minor) disservice. I’ll see if I can dig it up and I’ll just PM it to you to keep the clutter down. Feel free to ignore that though if you are not interested.

I was going for something like #2. But obviously my execution was different. Perhaps I’ll try to sugar coat it more in the future. Thanks again.

“So much” is quite subjective, but I can see where you’re coming from. I disagree, but I think that is a valid way to view it.

Yeah it’s pretty straightfoward. Tetanus is stupid rare, something like 30 cases per year. Pertussis, is fairly common, and likely extremely undercounted. Diptheria is basically non-existent btw.

The simplest example to show what tetanus vaccines are for is what happens if you get a cut. If it’s a high risk cut and you haven’t been vaccinated, you get immunoglobulin initially plus the vaccine because the vaccine won’t work quickly enough to matter.

If you’re vaccinated, or it’s a low risk cut and you’re vaccinated, you just get a vaccine that doesn’t actually do anything in the short term. It makes no sense mechanistically as it takes awhile to take affect, and there’s no real evidence for it either supporting tetanus prevention (note: it’s pretty much impossible to do a study on this, with only 30 cases per year you’d need a massive study of basically the entire nation). We still push the hell out of it because over the pertussis benefit.

You can read this study here that talks about how there’s no real benefit of boosters for tetanus and diptheria despite a study that’s as big as reasonably possible.

It’s actually super annoying because it’s emphasized to the point where ER doctors can fail their boards if they don’t give a tetanus vaccine to a trauma victim. It’s absurd.

edit: hearty lol at dr melk, pretending like he knows shit about medicine again.

And there it is, Ikes graces us with the goal post shift.

Sounds like they would tell you the main point is to prevent tetanus. I guess the guys who administer your boards are just as clueless as I am!

Seriously, though if you has just posted that from the get go you could have saved a lot of bullshit. It didn’t have to be this hard.

1 Like

Like a fly attracted to a steaming pile of shit.

1 Like