COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Yeah but how many of them were kids? And how many of the kids were white?

Purely anecdotal, but most of the people I know that didn’t get the covid vaccine weren’t anti-vaxxers in general but against the covid vaccine itself. Currently existing vaccines aren’t going to bother them. The OG anti-vaxxers aren’t going to shift no matter what happens to who.

But a big enough percentage are going to move into “all vaccines are bad” or at least “all mandates are made so I’m going to show them and not get shots for my kids” that we have more and more severe outbreaks.

Yeah, I think it’s pretty naïve to think that people that were duped by COVID vaccine anti-vax misinformation aren’t going to get caught up in the rest of the anti-vax misinformation. Something as simple as “SEEMS PRETTY SUSPICIOUS THAT THE SAME COMPANIES THAT FORCED DANGEROUS COVID VACCINES ON US NOW TRYING TO FORCE RUBELLA VACCINES ON US MAKES YOU THINK DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!” is going to catch a lot of people that would have just done what their doctor recommended before COVID. And social media companies mostly know which people clicked on a lot of COVID anti vax misinformation and the Almighty Algorithm will now feed them as much additional anti vax content as possible to improve their “engagement” metrics. This is bad.

1 Like

All three of my shots were Pfizer, go for the Moderna booster?

If you have a choice there may be some marginal benefit but the advice should still be that you get whatever is available to you first.

is the moderna one approved yet?

Both got emergency approval, yes.

1 Like

I think it kind of depends on how much lag we’re talking about. I definitely wait an extra day for Moderna. Probably an extra week. Two weeks? Now Pfizer ain’t looking so bad.

Agreed. I’d say the break-even is about a week or two.

Do we have any data of the new shots efficacy M vs P?

Studies aren’t done yet. They correctly concluded they were never gong to stay ahead of the curve by waiting for efficacy studies each time they do an update. Optimistically, efficacy might return to what we had against OG covid with the original vaccine.

1 Like

So we have no real data to choose between the brands.

I’ll take whichever is available then.

Yeah, that’s why it’s marginal at best. The only data we maybe have is extrapolating that OG Moderna was probably slightly more durable than OG Pfizer, maybe because the dosage of Moderna is higher, and the dosage of teh Moderna booster is a bit higher than the pfizer booster. But that’s a lot of assumptions and we don’t really know that. I don’t think it matters much which one you get.

On the other hand OG moderna might have been better than OG Pfizer because of the increased delay between shot’s 1 & 2, in which case that wouldn’t matter for the boosters.

Maybe not, but I’m going brand loyalty.

For the earlier version, Moderna seemed a bit better. I’m a Moderna guy now unless there is new data or I can’t get it when I want it.

I can buy both of these thought processes. I’m Mod/Mod/Pfi I think.

I’m mod/mod/mod/mod, but I’ll get Pfizer if it’s available sooner. I also ahve never had Covid, somehow.

Smelling bad and having no friends and no life goes a long way to not get Covid.

Or you are IMMUNE, like me.

2 Likes

OG Moderna was also better than OG Pfizer in terms of protection against most variants, however, that doesn’t mean a ton in terms of predicting outcomes here. If you gave me even money on which one would do better against BA.4 and BA.5, and which would have more durable protection, I’d bet Moderna. But I wouldn’t lay significant odds. It’s probably 60/40.

Exposing your immune system to as many antigens as possible has been my strategy, so I’ve been going mix n’ match.

That would be my plan but I’ve always had early access to Pfizer