COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Care to cite?

I donā€™t have a link to the study but maybe this will help you find it?

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s the one, thank you. Iā€™d definitely push older relatives and probably at risk to get Paxlovid, but Iā€™m not going to bother when I get COVID.

It might be better to wait until Monday if symptoms didnā€™t start until Friday. Thatā€™s still well within the 5 day window and completely unfounded speculation would suggest that you want your immune system to get fully into the game before you temporarily suppress the virus with Paxlovid. Not sure if thereā€™s any actual data around on rebound risk vs Paxlovid start date, but maybe check that out (or maybe get someone who isnā€™t stricken with a serious respiratory infection do it for you). Get well!

1 Like

Maybe-covid update:

Never got worse but not a whole lot better either. But mostly just the same. Under the weather. Slight cough. Hint of a fever now and then.

Always get like this when the weather fluctuates as it has been, so Iā€™m leaning toward no covid. Still might go in for a test tomorrow if no improvement.

1 Like

Well thanks for the linkā€¦ not exactly great methods described here. Will look into it later

Doesnā€™t Israel also have a super-vaccinated populace? Paxlovid should still be really helpful in our under-vaccinated population. Also it appears the study just looked at the reduced risk of hospitalization/death in the 40-65 subset. It didnā€™t, for example, look at whether taking paxlovid reduced the length or severity of the illness. 40-65 year olds who are fully/currently vaccinated and not immunocompromised already have such an incredibly low risk of hospitalization or death from Covid that it is not shocking that paxlovid didnā€™t further reduce that risk.

The biggest issue is that itā€™s a retrospective chart review that cannot properly account for the differences in people who do and do not get vaccinated without introducing a lot of uncertainty

1 Like

I havenā€™t really seen any study or work indicating Paxlovid benefits or should be prescribed to low risk non-elderly patients. Even Pfizerā€™s own study didnā€™t find any statistical benefit.

Seems like it should be the easy to access default treatment for the elderly and high risk 50+ at minimum.

Pfizerā€™s study wasnā€™t looking at that as a primary outcome and wasnā€™t powered to find any sort of result. That study showed a 57% drop in risk, but their error bars were so large because they originally powered and designed that study for symptom duration. Calling that a negative study isnā€™t really valid

Perhaps I have missed the study that showed its effectiveness among the young and healthy?

The original study had a treatment group with people who qualified if they were 18+ with a BMI of 25 (other qualifying conditions as well, but it wasnā€™t exclusive at all). The median age of epic-hr was 46.

I also wouldnā€™t be so snarky about evidence based medicine stuff to me when you clearly donā€™t know how it works. You canā€™t just set up a study to fail and then declare a treatment as ineffective because of it.

Iā€™m not being snarky Iā€™m asking, Jesus Christ

apologies then, seemed snarky to me

1 Like

Was the original study among vaxxed? Just seems like every study Iā€™ve read lately (most post Omicron I think) are very up in the air about the effect on healthy young low risk patients. I guess if we arenā€™t supply constrained it canā€™t hurt, and maybe some long COVID benefits (although thought that was lukewarm too), but just havenā€™t seen much that would have me jumping through hoops to get a prescription if I was low risk and young. Obviously would for elderly relatives, although my one attempt on that front was rejected by their doctor.

We hardly hear of paxloid this side of the pond - maybe the super old / super at risk get a dose but Iā€™d guess weā€™re consuming a 1000 times less than the US - no doubt the US COVID death rate will fall in line with row nowā€¦ Or maybe not

The people dying in the US generally are not the ones who are vaccinated and taking Paxlovid.

Nice, front page WSJ pushing anti-vax. 99% of comments antivax. WAAF

Vaccinated percentage of deaths is kinda high now (40 percentish). Deaths are really skewing towards the elderly.

I actually do think proper Paxlovid use would meaningfully reduce deaths, seems like we should be aiming for 100 percent use among the elderly, especially 80+

The other problem with Paxlovid seems to be that there are so many drug interactions that a significant number of the elderly canā€™t actually be prescribed paxlovid. @CaffeineNeeded on that one, but I think thatā€™s right.