COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

depending on the state there may be a registry. You can also check titers or reactivity for the major ones. I had to get them done for med school. (Beat - I have super low antibodies for measles despite being vaccinated multiple times)

1 Like

ahhh ok that sounds familiar and may explain a weird thing my neurologist said when I got bloodwork done a few months ago - some antibodies for chicken pox or whatever were like off the charts and she said I must be immunized, and I was very very certain I was not because I had it when I was 8. Then I ended up with a valtrex prescription that was never explained to me. lol.

Chickenpox is weird. In the USA, the chance of you being vaccinated as a kid hits about 50% if you were born in 1990. It was implemented around that time. I had chickenpox, my younger sister born in 1990 and my brother born in 1993 did not.

1 Like

right, that checks out. I was 89, we were not even given the option iirc.

In NY they are recommending that if your status is unknown, then you should get 3 doses.

You could also do titers, but titers can only be obtained easily for type 1 and type 3 polio virus (there are three types to worry about), testing for type 2 is not easily available because it was thought to have been eradicated (I think). So that probably shouldnā€™t matter.

IPV vaccine protects against all 3, so you would be covered in the unlikely event that type 2 re-emerged somehow.

1 Like

Isnā€™t the chickenpox vaccine a live virus? So if they were vaccinated they did have it?

Nah they donā€™t get chickenpox usually. Fever, maybe a rash. Itā€™s attenuated

Whatā€™s a good guideline on when it is actually ok to stop isolating?

CDC recs:

For people who are mildly ill with a laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection and not moderately or severely immunocompromised:

• Isolation can be discontinued at least 5 days after symptom onset (day 1 through day 5 after symptom onset, with day 0 being the first day of symptoms), and after resolution of fever for at least 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medications) and with improvement of other symptoms.
  • Loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolationā€‹.
  • These people should continue to properly wear a well-fitted mask around others at home and in public for 5 additional days (day 6 through day 10 after symptom onset) after the 5-day isolation period.
  • People who cannot properly wear a mask, including children < 2 years of age and people of any age with certain disabilities, should isolate for 10 days. In certain high-risk congregate settings that have high risk of secondary transmission and where it is not feasible to cohort people, CDC recommends a 10-day isolation period for residents.
2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m definitely ok per CDC, with no real symptoms and day 6, but still pozzed and Iā€™ve always been skeptical of the science behind the ā€œ5 days and get the fuck back to workā€ policy.

I do need food though.

1 Like

I went until 2 negative rapid tests. Then I got a rebound case and did the same. That is the safest. But if I needed food and couldnā€™t get it delivered, as long as I met the CDC guidelines, I would mask up and go.

2 Likes

My sister and her daughter got pozzed for the first time last week. Both of my parents are currently positive for the first time, and they have not been near my sister in several weeks. Everybody that had faded it and was still taking precautions is getting it now.

Itā€™s pretty amazing that there are still people who havenā€™t had COVID yet. I mean if you work in person full-time and live a fairly common life, how have you avoided it?

No idea. Everyone else in my house has gotten it and Iā€™ve had extended direct exposure four or five times. Guessing maybe a portion of us had asymptomatic/low symptom cases at some point or something.

Or maybe sometimes the vaccine actually holds.

1 Like

Yeah, anecdotally Iā€™m the only 3x Moderna in the house.

Other than after the first round of boosters, Iā€™ve always worn an N95 when indoors around people outside my household, unless I trust them and they matched that level of precaution for 10 days before the gathering. I also got a fourth shot about 6 months after the third.

Iā€™m not at the live poker table 40 hours a week, but Iā€™ve played 550+ hours of live poker in the last 19 months without catching it.

I (think Iā€™ve) avoided it. And I worked in person since May 2020, went to conferences, an indoor concert, bars, restaurants, and big meetings mostly without a mask (since vax obv), traveled dozens of times (mostly work), etc. Two known extended exposures to people right before they came down with symptoms and tested positive.

My fiancƩ has more or less been the same way, and also has avoided it. Both of us kinda made the calculation that after our vaccines we would go back to life close to normal.

Both parents and sister also havenā€™t gotten it, and my parents have possibly been less careful than I have (republicans).

Chances Iā€™ve had an asymptomatic case or cases?

Yeah my parents also havenā€™t gotten it despite my Dad doing a lot of maskless stuff. So theyā€™re either running good or theyā€™ve had it with mild or no symptoms. My dad gets an annual post-nasal drip cough, so if he got it during that and had no symptoms but coughing, it would be hard to tell. His cough from that was pretty bad last year, but my mom never got any symptoms.

Mask at work, luck, maybe being asymptomatic early on?

Also social gatherings severely curtailed and living the lifestyle of a parent with a newborn