COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

As I understand it, this has been a known (and intentional) difference between Pfizer and Moderna - where exactly they want to land on the tradeoff between efficacy and adverse reactions.

Pfizer’s choice has been to limit adverse reactions, which necessarily means a relatively weaker drug (dosage?). I view this as Pfizer wanting to just clear the minimum threshold of efficacy in order to minimize adverse reactions.

In contrast, Moderna tilts the other way, aiming for the highest possible efficacy while just clearing the threshold for acceptable adverse reactions.

(I am a dork, so I analogize this to the continuum of portfolio investing: do you maximize returns subject to a constrained maximum level of risk, or do you minimize risk subject to a constrained minimum level of expected return?)

So if you’re evaluating Pfizer vs. Moderna, I think Moderna is always going to look better on efficacy. What should be true is that Pfizer should have demonstrably lower adverse events.

If I had a kid in this age range, I’d be getting them vaccinated as fast as I could, and would take either Pfizer or Moderna. But given this fairly ambiguous data, I can also understand parents who are more hesitant.

1 Like

100% agree. I think the difference long term will be quite small, especially in absolute terms too.

So umm, Pfizer or Moderna? Because I’m sure as shit leaning Moderna (and hoping a Moderna booster for that age group gets approved sometime this millennium).

I’m operating off the assumption that both Moderna & Pfizer for kids under 6 is going going to be widely available in the next few weeks. Do we think otherwise?

That’s been the impression I’ve been getting. I vaguely remember being frustrated that they were waiting for more data from pfizer so they could approve at the same time.

1 Like

Yeah, that seemed like a really fucking stupid decision to me. “They didn’t want to confuse parents” was the messaging on that.

Vials are smaller here (1/3) so as not to create any mistakes (YMMV)

The AAP wrote a letter like a year ago urging the FDA to skip a full trial and just authorize the vaccines immediately on the basis of safety trails + immunobridging. I guess we’re basically getting that, just without the immediately part

I don’t think that’s true. There’s a lot more data behind the vaccines in this age group, it’s just necessarily the efficacy data that we’re used to with the previous adult studies. Per what I’ve been told, this is how childhood vaccines have been approved in the past.

Sudden and large outbreak in Beijing.

Do we think that’s mostly because efficacy against symptomatic infection is shit against Omicron in adult vaccines too? Or is it that the pediatric vaccines are actually worse at preventing symptomatic infection than the adult vaccines? It’s hard to get a handle on that. I recognize of course that the vaccines are still great against serious illness & hospitalization.

Finally got covid after 27 months

With hope it’s not too bad Triple vaxxed

20 Likes

I’m not sure. I’m out of my depth for talking about things definitively on this. Would guess that it’s a combination of more kids not having enough symptoms to get tested and omicron being more contagious.

1 Like

Not great news

New data suggests these variants may have evolved to refavour infecting lung tissue, which could make them more dangerous.

So what can we expect in the coming weeks and months?

Although BA.2 continues to account for the bulk of UK infections, data from the Office for National Statistics up to 2 June suggests that Covid cases may be starting to rise again in England and Northern Ireland, driven by an increase in BA.4 and BA.5 infections. The trends were uncertain in Wales and Scotland.

Also gaining ground in the UK are BA.5.1 (a child of BA.5), and the BA.2.12.1 subvariant (the USA’s dominant Covid strain), which the UK Health Security Agency is monitoring.

BA.4 and BA.5 were officially designated variants of concern (VOC) in the UK on 20 May, having first been detected in South Africa during January and February of this year.

According to the latest ONS data, about one in 70 people in England were estimated to have Covid in the week leading up to 2 June. In Northern Ireland it was about one in 65, in Wales about one in 75 and in Scotland about one in 40.

In South Africa, BA.4 and BA.5 have been responsible for a second wave of Omicron infections beginning at the start of May, which now appears to be flattening off. However, South Africa wasn’t hit by the highly transmissible BA.2 variant in the same way the UK was, and scientists had hoped that high levels of immunity from recent infection with BA.2 and booster vaccines might be enough to prevent these newer variants from gaining a significant foothold here.

However, with immunity from third vaccine doses waning in most population groups, and only the over-75s, and extremely vulnerable groups having been offered “spring booster” doses, this cannot be guaranteed. Neither is recent infection with the BA.1 or BA.2 Omicron variants necessarily protection against reinfection with BA.4 or BA.5.

According to research published in Science on Tuesday, natural infection with Omicron doesn’t produce a strong immune response, regardless of whether scientists look at antibodies or T-cells – meaning that people who have already recovered from an Omicron infection can quickly become reinfected. The findings, from Prof Danny Altmann at Imperial College London and colleagues, may help to explain why infection levels have remained high in countries such as the UK, despite so many already having been infected with it.

According to preliminary data from Kei Sato at the University of Tokyo and colleagues, BA.4, BA.5 and BA.2.12.1 may have evolved to refavour infection of lung cells, rather than upper respiratory tract tissue – making them more similar to earlier variants, such as Alpha or Delta. The propensity of earlier Omicron variants to prefer infecting non-lung tissue may be one reason why infections tend to be milder in most people.

1 Like

‘Inneresting’ as a certain texian youtoober I try not to watch would say

Should be dominant in the USA#1 in what, a month or trois? Probably sooner seeing no flight bans / testing these days.

Yup. It’s YOLO time.

Some good news if you can get Paxlovid:

Cliffs: Out of 483 “High Risk for Severe Covid” patients with Covid taking Paxlovid, only 4 had rebound symptoms after 9 days, and of those 4, all were mild and resolved quickly.

And alas some not such good news for people who caught it during the first wave.

People who caught Covid during the first wave of the pandemic get no boost to their immune response if they subsequently catch Omicron, a study of triple vaccinated people reports.

Experts say that while three doses of a Covid jab help to protect individuals against severe outcomes should they catch Omicron, previous infections can affect their immune response.

“If you were infected during the first wave, then you can’t boost your immune response if you have an Omicron infection,” said Prof Rosemary Boyton, of Imperial College London, a co-author of the study.

Taking this now. I’m one of the five percent that experiences a bad taste in mouth after taking this. It’s so gross

Sucking on metal all day

3 Likes

What day are you on? You should definitely do a Trip Report about how fast your symptoms resolve. For Science. Feel better soon!

Also if you don’t mind my asking, how were you able to get it? Did you have a risk category?

1 Like