COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

or Brawndo

Itā€™s what plants crave.

NYT speculating next week on approval for pediatric vaccine

Given choice between Pfizer 3 dose and moderna 2 dose series, which do you get for your toddler? Iā€™m thinking Moderna since boosters likely eventually get approved for that anyway, and it seems like it has held up better than pfizer; but Iā€™m not sure.

I havenā€™t looked into it that deeply yet. I doubt it will be massively different tbh.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen the data on their efficacies and how long it takes between doses for kids yet (if someone knows, Iā€™d like to see). Like, Pfizer is 3 doses, but they can happen in the same or nearly the same time as Modernaā€™s 2, thatā€™s not much of a win for Moderna. Iā€™d lean Moderna if their two shots are better than Pfizerā€™s two shots and are at least pretty close to 3 Pfizer shot efficacy, and dosing time between shots is at least a whole dosing time longer to get to 3 Pfizer shots. Otherwise Iā€™d go Pfizer if their efficacy looks to be significantly higher. My girls seem to like the stickers or candy they get after a shot more than they dislike the shot, so 3 shots isnā€™t a big ask of them.

The question of timing isnā€™t just in the time between doses that was tested. Itā€™s also the practical and personal, what can I get into my girlsā€™ arms right away that matters a ton, too. If thereā€™s a substantial wait for one, but they have the other right away, Iā€™m very likely going with the one I can get right away.

I thought Pfizerā€™s 3rd shot was like 2 months after the second shot, or something like that.

I donā€™t remember what their plan ostensibly was, and I havenā€™t seen what theyā€™re actually presenting. Those may not be the same thing.

1 Like

Tested negative for Covid today! I guess Iā€™m over it now.

Started feeling bad two Thursdays ago, tested positive on Sunday. Went to the clinic on Monday and started 5-day Paxlovid cycle Monday night. Felt noticeably better by Wednesday, felt basically fine by Thursday, tested negative today (Saturday).

Donā€™t know how much of the quick turnaround is due to my vaxxed and boosted status, or the Paxlovid, butā€¦ score one for evidence-based science.

15 Likes

MIL had a runny nose for a couple of days after completing her Paxlovid course. We figure that was the virus starting to replicate again but her fully armed and operational immune system clearing it quickly.

Sheā€™s been fine for a week now, her delayed visit is next weekend.

1 Like

My timeline was like this:

• Tuesday around 8am: suspected exposure
  • Thursday morning: wake up with achy throat, test negative
  • Thursday 3pm: mild fever, test positive
  • Thursday 4:30pm: Start feeling bad, lie down. Rapidly progress to feeling terrible, donā€™t get out of bed or eat food until Saturday morning.
  • Saturday afternoon-now: feel basically fine except a little tired. I also have a truly dreadful cough. I normally end up with a lingering cough after a viral infection, but I sound like Iā€™m dying of tuberculosis or something.
3 Likes

Glad youā€™re feeling better. Iā€™m nearing one month since exposure and I still have the cough. Itā€™s way less frequent than it was two weeks ago but it still sucks.

1 Like
4 Likes

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2118946

Among persons who had been previously infected with SARS-CoV-2 (regardless of whether they had received any dose of vaccine or whether they had received one dose before or after infection), protection against reinfection decreased as the time increased since the last immunity-conferring event; however, this protection was higher than that conferred after the same time had elapsed since receipt of a second dose of vaccine among previously uninfected persons. A single dose of vaccine after infection reinforced protection against reinfection.

Get yer boosters even if you got covid.

So, the efficacy numbers for 2 doses of Moderna in the 2-5 cohort are not terribly impressive:

Theyā€™re quite a bit better for 6-12, preventing about twice as many cases.

Apparently no kids in any group got serious covid, which is ultimately a good thing, but it makes it hard to evaluate how much protection is conferred against the small but nonzero chance kids end up in the hospital with covid.

2 Likes

This was the source of a lot of pooflinging on medtwitter.

https://twitter.com/DrZoeHyde/status/1535947425294483456

Looks like the adenovirus was crap, and the delayed covid were right. Super weird tbh. Still a lot of uncertainty.

This is weird to me, and suggests that theyā€™re missing a lot of kids who didnā€™t have enough symptoms to get tested. At least, thatā€™s what I think I first glance.

After my initial impressions, I would be really surprised if there was some sort of significant difference between the two. Maybe Moderna for girls, Pfizer for boys? IDK

Unvaxxed under 6s got covid about half as much as unvaccinated 6-12. Itā€™s not clear how much of that may be behavioral (e.g. smaller daycare settings vs larger schools with more kids) vs how much is, like you say, fewer symptomatic cases and thus less testing vs potentially other explanations.

Pfizerā€™s data are out: https://www.fda.gov/media/159195/download

And, uh,

Pfizer, your sample sizes, woof!

3 Likes

yeah moderna sure looks better.

although weirdly apparently ped vaccine data is usually based more on antibody levels according to a few people iā€™ve talked to.

1 Like