COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

My wife and I both got Paxlovid through an online teledr, they just prescribed it immediately after we did some online forms and mailed it next day. So the only privilege we had was internet access to get it afaik. No regular primary doctor required.

https://www.findcovidcare.com/

It seemed too good to be true but it worked and we got the Paxlovid so no complaints from us

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m just weird, but I have no interest in taking Paxlovid if/when I get pozzed.

Most of the reason is that I wouldnā€™t be arsed up to get it. But even if some magically appeared in my mailbox on day 1, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d take it.

Depends on risk factors. Even with it SIL is debating taking MIL in to ER sitting at 90-91.

If sheā€™s not improve in the morning after two days of doses think she should. Correct?

1 Like

Unless her oxygen is always low she should go now

1 Like

I would not bother if I was experiencing another cold, but if it were some measure worse, I would. Itā€™s hard to say where the line is for me.

Part of the problem is that you need to take it quick. So you donā€™t really want to be spending several days contemplating whether you want to take it.

Also just about everyone here is describing something similar or less severe to my typical cold so Iā€™m not really that scared. Especially with 4 jabs in me and no risk factors. Maybe Iā€™m just overconfident.

Yeah, itā€™d have to be worse than a cold by day 3 for me to bother seeking it out.

It finally got me. Just tested positive! Only symptom is chills. :disappointed:

21 Likes

Were you not following official Canadian government guidance and using a glory hole?

5 Likes

Lol I wish.

I do feel bad I did a 14 hour road trip yesterday with 4 colleagues. :grimacing:

Wife has been mostly quarantined since she tested positive on Sunday, and her experience seems to be like a cold - a decent amount of coughing and noticeable decrease in energy, but sheā€™s able to function. Sheā€™s just bored as hell trying to stay isolated in our bedroom unless people arenā€™t around. I think sheā€™s planning on testing again today to see if she can rejoin the family.

But the real story here is me. Being a more-or-less single working parent is completely ridiculous and I have no idea how anyone does it. The good(?) news is that Iā€™m failing about equally on both the parenting and the working part of that equation.

12 Likes

Years ago one of my colleagues with 3 youngish kids (under 10) was taking care of them by himself for a week while his wife was on a trip with friends. On Monday he was kind of tired looking and sort of jokingly talking about how tough it was and how he had to rush home to pick up the kids at the end of the day. On Tuesday he showed up unshaven, big bags under his eyes, his shirt was untucked on one side, just a complete mess. On Wednesday he fell asleep in his office in the morning and we just left him there and the boss told him to take Thursday and Friday off.

10 Likes

This might be a dumb question but do we know if certain people have a natural immunity to contraction?

There was someone doing a study on this, basically people whoā€™ve been exposed so many times but who never had any symptomatic illness. Donā€™t know if any results were published yet though.

I think I would qualify

Also everyone has flu right now too

I was under the impression that testing didnā€™t have much of a relationship with when to end isolation. Iā€™m very unclear on when Iā€™m allowed to re-enter society. Also unclear on if I want to re-enter society, but thatā€™s a separate subject.

I found the calculator at this site helpful when I was trying to figure out how long to isolate

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

2 Likes

Yeah, we were just talking about this this morning. She tested positive again, and we have no idea how we should be operating at this point.

But looking at econā€™s link, it seems that she can start being around us again in 1-2 days? Thatā€™s a really helpful link, btw. Even if it might not be perfectly accurate, itā€™s nice to have an objective external source to say ā€œthis is what you should doā€ so that we bear less decision fatigue.

1 Like

Thanks. I get:

To me, that sounds like ā€œyou should probably totally isolate until June 2, 2022, but we donā€™t say that anymore because people need their Starbucks for society to functionā€. But maybe Iā€™m a cynic.

1 Like

29 posts were merged into an existing topic: Parenting in the age of COVID

MIL is feeling better and O2 is up to 94.

15 Likes