COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too. Like with any variant there’s some sort of exposure threshold where you get infected. It was lower with alpha than delta, lower with delta than omicron, etc. I think that’s pretty much accepted, right?

So if fewer people are masking and noobdy is able to stay at home, we’re all getting exposed to more virus for longer periods of time. So blocking 95% of that and being exposed to 5% may be enough to infect.

Plus, yes, more chances to slip up with the mask depending on how careful you are while eating or drinking.

1 Like

Holy fuck. Nobody else cares about this stupid shit even a tiny little bit. Take it to fucking PM or something.

4 Likes

That seemed kind of wrong from the get go, and I feel they adjusted the messaging on that one relatively quickly compared to some other things they got wrong (“they” = public health officials in this case).

But maybe I’m misremembering. I’m not sure on the exact numbers, but what you said definitely was a thing, though.

87% from two shots:

The 2-dose Moderna COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness against infection by variant:

• Delta: 86.7%

Booster restores it to 94%:

During the period of Delta predominance across study sites in the United States (August–mid-December 2021), VE against laboratory-confirmed COVID-19–associated ED and UC encounters was 86% 14–179 days after dose 2, 76% ≥180 days after dose 2, and 94% ≥14 days after dose 3.

They absolute can be true and are true.

I specifically recall studies being posted in COVID threads on this forum measuring the efficacy of different types of masks for the wearer, and all were well over 5 to 30%. If you’re referencing the CDC originally saying that masks weren’t needed for the public, plenty of us here immediately pushed back on that.

I totally agree, so knock it off. You’re the only one doing it. If you want to criticize the CDC for lying about masks, have at it, but don’t blame us for it.

Then post one.

There are four efficacy numbers in my post, none are 80%. I don’t know what you’re talking about. Second, who said negligible about any of this? The question is were the vaccines highly effective at stopping transmission against Delta and the answer is YES.

Here it is in even more detail and from more sources.

Three doses of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine within 2 months of vaccination were 94% effective against delta infection

The three-dose VE against Delta infection was 93.7% (92.2–94.9%) at 14–60 days and 86.0% (78.1–91.1%) at >60 days.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-01753-y

In an environment with Omicron!

I don’t think you understand how scientific studies work. They pick a group of people, then they give them the shot in question, then they test them repeatedly. People in studies aren’t getting infections and failing to report them.

Will you knock this shit off when I prove you wrong again?

Knew when I saw a surge in posts it’d be another cluster.

1 Like

Oh really?

Here’s a posted study:

Here’s an entire thread on masks, in which numerous users chime in on efficacy. The OP, @LFS, from July 2020 posts a link that cites proper surgical masks at 80%.

Here’s me in June 2020 referencing us on UP knowing the CDC was lying about masks:

Lol what a stupid conclusion to reach. Just an absolutely moronic decision.

I hate to interrupt this scintillating conversation, but I’ve got an actual question about masks. I don’t know if the answer is known, but if it is, I suspect one of you would know and have some sort of source.

Consider the following hypothetical scenario.

You are going to spend several hours in a typically ventilated, small, windowless room with someone who has active COVID. You don’t have it. Both of you would like to prevent you from getting it. Between the two of you there is one standard surgical mask. No other face coverings are allowed. Who wears the mask to minimize transmission? Does the answer change if it’s an N95 mask rather than a surgical mask?

I’m not getting a shot today to protect me in 7 months. I got boosted on 8/23, then again this week, and anticipate getting one in six more months. I also wouldn’t call the current generation of vaccines highly effective at stopping transmission of Omicron. You’re moving the goalposts. We were discussing whether they were highly effective at stopping transmission of Delta. They were, very much so.

In other news, I was going to eat dinner tonight, but it won’t keep me from starving in a month, so by your logic I should just not eat. By your logic eating isn’t effective at preventing starvation!

If the room was ventilated and clear for at least three hours before hand, I think you’re better off with the sick person wearing the mask regardless of which type. That’s if you’re 100% confident in them wearing it properly and not pulling it down, etc.

I have no source and am just making an educated guess based on following the news all pandemic.

I don’t think there’s as much of a difference who wears it if it’s an N95. Again, just an educated guess.

Worth noting that with N95 masks widely available, and assuming some ability to ventilate, nobody should put themselves into this situation without both parties wearing an N95 and ventilating the room as much as possible.

This is a good point which I considered, but over several hours there would be so much covid all over the room from the sick person, I could see it being not worth the trade off. There’s also a non-zero risk of getting a dud. I think the manufacturing standard is like 1 in 20 masks can be a dud.

Thanks for the responses.

So, it doesn’t sound like there is a good study that would provide some justification one way or another.

my trusty N95 feedbag / chin-diaper has thwarted the viral menace for thousands of miles!

1 Like

merton_hanks2_aol4tc

2 Likes

Reading the thread about covid is worse than currently having covid. And currently having covid really sucks.

14 Likes

lol I was literally going for the same gif and my Internet went out for a few minutes.

2 Likes