COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

I’ve been wearing N95s basically all my adult life so I remain stocked up

I completely locked down from live poker (my work) for about 14 of the 24 months from March 2020 to February 2022. I managed to supplement with online poker and election betting and sparse safe private games in 2020, but the Omicron lockdown I went on really got me because I bookended it with a downswing and didn’t bring in any supplemental income.

Basically I shouldn’t have locked down for Omicron, I should have trusted my N95’s. The financial risk and the impact that has on my life, on my health, and on my happiness was way higher than the risk of negative outcomes from Omicron as a fully vaxxed and boosted 35 year old wearing an N95. I chose the wrong risk and I’m now paying for it because I realized the downside portion of the possible outcomes.

5 Likes

I ordered 300 N95’s a month ago, my stockpile is probably ~340 full N95’s and ~50 to 100 KN95’s.

Do I win?

The reason I ordered 300 is that the most comfortable N95’s I’ve worn, which usually run about $2.10 each, were about $1.09 each. They’re a lifesaver in 15 hour poker sessions - most other masks bother me after 3-4 hours, these don’t bother me until about 12 hours in. That’s with zero mask breaks all day other than taking a breath and pulling it down to chug water and immediately replacing it before breathing.

How many of the dead were vaxxed? I’d put the o/u at 0.5.

The rednecks will be locked and loaded looking for your stash when this thing mutates into a zombie virus.

Maybe that’s who marked my garage.

But nah, why would the zombies want my masks? They’re already going to have it/have immunity.

Well I guess we can hope that repeated exposure keeps the antibody levels up for the next variant. I don’t see a lot of folks going in for another booster either.

We got a highly effective vax in under a year, we still killed a million (at least) and no herd immunity to show for it. Oh well Freedumb.

Wall Street seems to agree with you, based on the current prices of MRNA and BNTX, both of which I own. I don’t see why people over 60 or with risk factors won’t get the annual shot in similar numbers to flu shots. Do you disagree? (I project like 25% of the population, Wall Street projects approximately 0%.)

This probably depends a lot on the characteristics of the next variant. I am guessing it will be true for most of the range of variants, but not all, so logically we’d expect to have a bad escape variant every so often. What “every so often” amounts to, who knows? Once a year? Once every few?

Any sort of update on the 5 and under Covid stuff would be nice too

4 Likes

And also the one that’s cropped up now.

And this is why Dems lose.

They are failing to adjust to the strategy of their opponents.

1 Like

And they (and iron81) are damn proud of it!

Zero.

Terrible line on my part. Should have just taken it off the board.

Is it too much to hope that the posters who died were posting dumb anti-vax shit up until they got into the ICU and people were going full NBZ on them after.

Seriously WTF? I’d be way less pissed off about covid being over if me bringing it back to my girls was much less of a risk.

2 Likes

Turning into an authoritarian is worse than losing. I also don’t like the Left’s chances to out authoritarian the GOP. It wasn’t that long ago that preserving Democracy was the country’s north star. Returning to that should be our goal.

an average american only spends five minutes per year taking off shoes in TSA lines, so it is not likely to be a major difference.

i kid of course

https://mobile.twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1516225654018265088

1 Like

I don’t remember. But I think at least one of them was a RWNJ DC poster.

https://twitter.com/ct_bergstrom/status/1516251591724077058?s=21&t=0QEVoq_MZ0a9ai75tQ4oXQ

3 Likes

The big thing Nate ignores is that it’s a public transit mandate. So, expect a lot of buses and trains to be mask optional soon. AMTRAK has already announced they are optional. I guess some of the bluest cities might hold out, but given that DC area metro has already gone mask optional tonight too, I doubt it will be for too long.

2 Likes