COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

The way I look at it is risk multiplied - 1) low risk of getting it from groceries assuming precautions are taken, 2) in my case I am pretty low risk to get super sick and am not in contact with any high risk people, 3) there are some indications a small initial dose could lead to a lower severity infection.

So for me it’s 1 * 2 * maybe 3 = a pretty low overall risk of something really bad happening.

If I was at risk with comorbitities or lived with someone who is - I’d be wiping down every perishable before it goes into the fridge and leaving perishables untouched for days.

I think one of the original protocols recommended both a throat and nasal swab to be done. However because of a lack of testing supplies, they recommended only nasal. I would assume whoever made that decision did so with the knowledge that the two were highly correlated.

Surely you will miss a few people who are shedding by swabbing fewer mucosal surfaces, but I doubt that recommendation would have been made if the data they had showed they were going to miss a lot of positives by swabbing nose alone.

It also make physiologic sense that the two should be highly correlated.

Smart Tech > Microcenter

Ok I’ll assume they’re correlated then.

Since I don’t eat my groceries literally when I walk in the door I’m not doing anything with them

3 Likes

Can’t even wear a real protective mask

https://twitter.com/drrjkavanagh/status/1247432702447452162?s=21

5 Likes

As an IL resident, I googled where Wood River is located and was not surprised in the least.

Being used to dealing with the public & cash I always washed my hands and tried to never touch my face (Alough that was tough) whenever leaving the car and going somewhere, even into the garage for petrol/Gas I washed 2 times lol.

Making food & having to wash after I touch anything was a good habit to have, it’s my pet hate of having anything on my fingers/hands must be cleaned off immediately.

It’s my cooker that need a good clean though… :shushing_face:

1 Like

Oh hey, at my local grocery store there were two men outside selling candy. No fucking clue what they were thinking or why the store was allowing it.

Oh yeah I got laid off yesterday from my serving / restaurant job. They broke the news to all of us via conference call, then told us to come pick up an info packet and our final check which included some extra fake shifts of money, mine was actually $800 despite not working at all which was really nice of them. I’m not sure if or where we will open again and it might be hard for them to rehire most of us but I think I have a pretty good shot to get a job back if they can figure out a way to open. They are keeping a super small staff of managers and chefs around to handle Togo orders and keep things running until then so it should be interesting to watch that. I’m super thankful that the my boss and everyone’s favorite manager who treated us with respect at least still has a job.

23 Likes

Apply for unemployment ASAP. Im on week 4 of waiting for approval of my benefits.

4 Likes

I haven’t been repackaging any food, but I’m wiping down packages and letting the things that need to go in the fridge or freezer sit with the spray on them for at least a few minutes before bringing them inside. Still have a bunch of stuff in my car that I’ll wipe down/bring inside as needed. I’m guessing it’s unnecessary, but it’s not TOO much of a pain in the ass, so I’m doing it.

No idea if I’m doing too little or too much. I don’t think I’ve contracted the virus, but who knows, maybe I did today.

Both of you please keep us apprised how it’s going. I suspect delays will be state-specific. But I’m really curious about that extra $600/week the feds are supposedly going to kick in.

1 Like

I did the week when we closed for normal business and the shelter in place was ordered for california, I was a few days late though but I think the mail and setup process is coming at the right pace. I have heard rumors that coworkers have got money and already it’s around $350 a week but I haven’t confirmed it yet.

Really curious when this extra $600/week is supposed to kick in.

Washington State says they expect to start issuing the additional $600 by mid-month, backdated to March 29

Edit: Note, like Mr Unstoppable, I will believe this once its actually in my account.

1 Like

I can’t imagine counting on money that’s not in my bank account like I won’t believe any of this is real until I can spend the money. I deposited my paycheck and went straight to costco and spent $150 and on the way out I saw another coworker in line waiting to go in doing the same thing. I’m like ok well it was nice knowing you also they’re out of Clorox wipes! Clearly if I got an extra $600 I’d just be spending all of it stimulating the economy.

1 Like

And he didn’t even complain about the conspiracy against the Chiefs!

:grin:

1 Like

Yet you participate in Politics & Society, curious!

10 Likes

I honestly think the conspiracy, if it exists (which I’ve always maintained is like sub 5%) is working the other way now. Mahomes is a darling and we got a lot of calls this postseason.