COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Vive La France!

French death toll reaches 10,000

More than 10,000 people have died in France since the coronavirus outbreak began, according to the daily press briefing from the French health ministry.

The ministry said 7,091 people had died in hospital, an increase of 607 in 24 hours.

At least 3,237 have died in care homes since the start of the outbreak.

More than 30,000 people are currently hospitalised in France, 7,131 of them in intensive care.

1 Like

I think they only report the comorbidities for fatal cases

I bought some during my fist grocery trip after hoarding started. Pickings were slim. Iā€™ve had Steak-umm before. Itā€™s fine. Season it a little bit, toss it in a skillet or whatever, chop it up if desired, top with cheese, slide into roll. Add desired toppings. Pretty good. Itā€™s no Patā€™s or anything, but not bad for a quick and easy dinner.

I was totally ready to do some of my own shopping this week and then yesterday LA literally said not to.

ā€œIf you have enough supplies in your home, this would be the week to skip shopping altogether,ā€ L.A. County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said Monday.

1 Like

A number of people reported a number of your posts, but I havenā€™t really been keeping track. And then somebody started claiming that your parents got divorced because you suck or something?

1 Like

Problem is I anticipate a surge in shopping due to stimulus payments hitting. So unless you can hold out a couple more weeks I might try to get shopping in this week/weekend.

jfc that place never changes does it?

Agreed.

I believe NY will see >1,000 deaths a day for next 18-24 days (inc. non-hospital deaths when finally accounted for).

US deaths overall - depends how many statees climb the curve over next 3 weeks (NJ, MI, Lousiana, CA, FLā€¦)

Trump says next week, I say 3 weeks time before the numbers get real scary and a little too close to home

I mean, UP was full of peeps stating US at least 3 weeks behind Italyā€¦ wondering whether the curve would be more like SK or Italy? hmm

Rand is probably shedding virus all over those people.

Iā€™ve been active again in Politics & Society - could be some coordinated thing theyā€™re doing from their racist discord or whatever.

Thereā€™s been a lot of politics in that thread. 27off gives out warnings every now and then. Every time I make a political post itā€™s in response to a worse one by some deplorable that somehow goes ignored, while mine gets in trouble.

Too much winning

Canada-US mask wars end with Trump reprieve

Half a million face masks will arrive in Canada tomorrow, after a last-minute deal was brokered with US President Donald Trump.

The White House had previously banned 3M, one of the largest manufacturers of medical face masks in the US, from exporting to Canada and Latin America, as countries around the world struggle with a shortage of supplies.

That led to a tense few days for Canada-US relations, with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau making it clear that trade between the countries was a ā€œtwo-way streetā€.

Late on Monday, 3M said they had received permission to continue shipping to Canada and Latin America.

The deal will also see the company import 166 million masks into the US from China.

Pats and Genos are crap just for tourists.

(Hey Iā€™ve been in Philly for 8 years now, itā€™s a reflex)

If he is still shedding then he should still have a positive test, but he claims he retested negative.

Itā€™s possible he could have had a false negative.

However, that possibility is low enough that the ā€œprobablyā€ in your statement is clearly wrong.

Iā€™m not 100% sure a negative test means no shedding. I read somewhere a few people were still shedding from their throats 3 weeks after symptoms. Do we know for sure they also test positive while thatā€™s happening?

Probably to not 100% sure. World record walk back.

Los Angeles is apparently also telling people to wear masks whenever outside your home. Am I really supposed to be wearing a mask when I walk my dog? Does that serve any purpose whatsoever?

https://mobile.twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1247560302125875203

If you have it but not symptoms yet it could save the rando you pass by walking his dog.

1 Like

Itā€™s also thought to be spread in mist particles emitted while speaking. So if you donā€™t wear a mask, donā€™t talk to anyone. Not even his dog.

I bring all my food in right away, even the non-perishables. I also donā€™t use gloves to get my mail.