COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

I heard a mention that in nyc they honk their horns or scream or do something at 7pm every day for the healthcare workers.

There is no sociological principle more reliable than the one that says that people who put Esq. after their names are bad.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Just got word that we are required to be back in the office on June 20th. Seems reasonable. Plenty of time for the inevitable cases to skyrocket again and push it even further.

2 Likes

pitbull yeah

LC, donā€™t care!

@chrisv, @suzzer99, @anon38180840

Looking at the D614G paper, thereā€™s plenty of room for skepticism when trying to eyeball the relative prevalence of the two strains over time. The authorsā€™ main source of data is the GISAID sequence repository, which is the best source of getting viral sequencing data, but as of this moment, itā€™s just over 17k samples worldwide, and now weā€™re trying to partition that down to various localities and time bins. The sample sizes in that Washington plot is pretty small, and Washington has been one of the most prolific sequencers of the virus. Itā€™s also not clear that the sites that are doing whole viral genome sequencing are necessarily getting a representative sampling. Itā€™s pretty unlikely we really have representative sequencing data, as weā€™re having trouble even getting representative positive/negative testing. It might be interesting if the sequencing data was representative of the total tested population, but Iā€™m not sure even that is true.

2 Likes

These death masks do look to be made out of the wrong material. Talking about being taken advantage ofā€¦

https://twitter.com/Rschooley/status/1258557333472374784

1 Like

They look like a beer koozie for your face.

11 Likes

Canā€™t stop loling about the maskā€¦ hanging off his nose (gapes open each side of nostril), chin minge hanging out the bottom.

ITT 6 weeks ago we were debating N95 vs FPP3 - now itā€™s neoprene or an old t-shirt and youā€™ll be fine

1 Like

Keeed will be sad

US rows back on ā€˜virus lab releaseā€™ theory

The origins of the coronavirus are a topic of ongoing controversy in US politics. Intelligence officials are investigating whether the virus was accidentally created in a lab called WIV in Wuhan, China where the outbreak began.

President Donald Trump and others close to him have said they have seen evidence that coronavirus did in fact come from this lab. China denies this, and there is currently no evidence supporting the conspiracies.

On Wednesday Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said there was ā€œsignificantā€ evidence supporting the lab theory - a step back from a statement on Sunday that there was ā€œenormous evidenceā€.

Now he has said in a radio interview that the US has ā€œseen evidence that it came from the lab. That may not be the case.ā€

I learned which parts are thick and which are pretty thin. I was doing the top first and I was like - I must be doing something wrong, thereā€™s usually a lot more hair coming off than this. Then I did the back and was like - oh, thatā€™s where all the hair comes from.

Irish, Scottish, English, Italian, German.

1 Like

Yeah, there will be a lot of male pattern baldness discovery if we all start buzz cutting.

Ginger hides the salt a lot better than pepper.

I have a buddy whose primary source of income is cruise ship comedian. Heā€™s not loving life right now.

1 Like

I had a pal at work who had played drums in a cruise chip band and really loved it.

Except the night he totally fucked up the rhythm of The Girl From Ipanema and they had to restart it.

1 Like

I work in donations for a major university. The list of titles we have to offer cracks me up.

Apparently people get extremely upset if their prefix or suffix doesnā€™t show up in the options.

6 Likes

Iā€™m not donating shit to anyone that doesnā€™t store me in their system as His Excellency.

5 Likes

Your titles are incomplete.

Earl jalfrezi

4 Likes

So how much does someone have to donate to get their Jared Kushner level kid in?