COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Remember one of their principle planks has become oppositionist. Opposing everything the other guy wants has become a core belief, no matter the benefit or detriment to themselves.

They hear “libruls” saying “be safe”, “Social distance”, “wear masks” and they are instantly triggered to push in the opposite direction. It is like we are playing a video game with horribly controlled npc AI.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1256736772928700427

Is this 28 days of being infectious confirmed? I know there are people who have tested positive for 28 days - but has anyone read anything that they’re actually shedding from the throat all that time?

Because that is really messed up if true. I’ve read about everything you can read on this and haven’t seen it put exactly like that.

2 Likes

It’s unknown according to the CDC, idk where he’s getting his info from.

Yeah I think he’s conflating testing positive with being infectious.

“Can those people who are completely asymptomatic, who never develop any symptoms, transmit the infection? That’s still kind of an open question,” says Smith.

3 weeks ago but still.

Fuck. If they faked Tinkerbell’s resurrection I’m going to be really angry.

1 Like

Today:

3 Likes

Meanwhile in NY, no plans to meaningfully reopen soon.

Daily confirmed COVID hospital and nursing home deaths since peak (from Cuomo press briefings)
April 8: 799
April 9: 777
April 10: 783
April 11: 758
April 12: 671
April 13: 778
April 14: 758
April 15: 606
April 16: 630
April 17: 540
April 18: 507
April 19: 478
April 20: 481
April 21: 474
April 22: 438
April 23: 422
April 24: 437
April 25: 367
April 26: 337
April 27: 335
April 28: 330
April 29: 306
April 30: 289
May 1: 299

Pretty easy decision.

1 Like

I previously read that the screaming dude in the MI protest inside was a known white nationalist from CA. I can’t find the link right now and can’t remember where I saw it. Arguing with someone who works at Mayo who said all their temperatures were taken so no laws broken! All good y’all!

Sorry, faeries dont come back to life by clapping, but from crying clowns.

This is HNH /Wirelessbro, right?

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/SEDLAW15/status/1256730344964980738

20 Likes

America just seems to have an unmatched number of people who are fully committed to living in a fantasy world and their entire project in life is to attempt to prevent the intrusion of any ideas which might necessitate any mental discomfort or introspection at all. This runs through the culture imo. Germans have to open history books and read about how 80 years ago they were the worst country in the world. One of the founding myths of Australia is Gallipoli, which is all about how Australia was a pawn of world powers getting chucked into the meat grinder and the story is just about courage, mateship and stoicism in the face of a doom beyond our control. What are the American stories like that? Slavery is a thing which was heroically ended by Lincoln. Ditto Civil Rights, the emphasis is on the eventual American victory over itself.

Same thing with American Protestantism, once accurately summarized by Felix on Chapo as “If you’re white… dude, you rock. Just keep doing what you’re doing”. The difference with, like, Catholic monks whipping themselves in monasteries is striking. Faith is to be observed not by self-criticism, looking within, instead the classical American expression of faith is giving money to people on TV.

Trump is the final boss of this, a living avatar of this philosophy that one need never apologise, never accept that things might be complicated or messy, and never tolerate for even a second that self-criticism or introspection might be warranted. The reason that guy was in tears on TV because he couldn’t go to Lowe’s or whatever has nothing to do with what he wanted to buy. What’s in jeopardy is the entire worldview. That’s what I think the answer is to the bolded above. It’s like the reason all libertarians are climate change skeptics, because climate change would necessitate collective action and the perfect gleaming edifice of their philosophy can’t tolerate even one counterexample.

Edit: The Right in Australia are the same with climate change, like since Australia depends so much on commodity exports, the answer has to be that it’s fine, we can keep doing it, and so that’s the answer they come up with. The Trumpian phenomenon is the generalization of this to, like, everything. The conclusion is always “this is not a thing which requires me to self-criticize or change my behaviour” and you work backwards to get to that. Coronavirus is therefore a hoax, or overblown, or something that can’t be avoided anyway, or whatever premise du jour will get you to the conclusion.

38 Likes

The outrage over having to wear masks is the real tell that this is a psychological phenomenon, right? Not even a symbolic concession to behaviour modification can be tolerated. It demonstrates that this is not “cmon we gotta restart the economy, we’re losing money”, the battle is taking place at more of an abstract worldview level than that.

17 Likes

Yeah for sure. It’s pervasive and systematic mistrust of government and media. Which I understand as media and government have been pretty bad for a long time but it kind of sucks since they’re probably mostly right this time.

https://twitter.com/johnrobertsFox/status/1256623482647072771?s=20

Spot on. I spend a fair amount of time reading travel hacking blogs, and for the past month there has been an obnoxious guy going around commenting on all of the big blogs about how he’s [non-essentially] flying every week and really enjoying it because the planes are empty, the security lines are short, and hotel and airline staff are THRILLED to see him (sure, bud). Anyway, cut to a few days ago when the major US airlines started announcing that they will require passengers to wear masks and this guys starts whining that having to wear a mask isn’t cool because it makes him feel unsafe and as if the plane is contaminated. He DGAF if the plane is actually contaminated, he just didn’t want to be reminded that it might be.

6 Likes

What confounds me when I try to think about what you do about it is that the “You don’t have to give a shit about anything ever” is accomplished not by like “you don’t have to care if 500K people die of COVID-19” but rather “you are not required to entertain any talk of consequences at all”. The arguments always take that form, like coronavirus is either a hoax or it’s inevitable, and in either case, there’s just no need to argue questions of cause and effect. That’s the appeal of Trump himself, like traditionally when accused of something people either have to deny it or admit it and try to plead some sort of mitigation or rehabilitation, but Trump just rejects the premise that he is even required to grapple with the question.

Seems awfully hard to craft a political message to deal with that. The pitch “actually you are required to think about things and consider consequences” doesn’t seem appealing.

5 Likes