COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

This is insane.

The 5 or 6 clients Iā€™ve dealt with since the shutdowns have all been absolutely cool about any delays except for one guy who is a contractor that I subcontract for. Heā€™s generally kind of an asshole, but the underlying reason is that heā€™s broke and he needs me to do stuff in order to get paid himself. The homeowners have been more than understanding.

YMMV, Iā€™ve been making more and more of an effort to not work for people who seem like assholes. The aforementioned contractor I mentioned is being cut loose as soon as I think I can get away with it.

2 Likes

As an aside, we did not pressure any of our people. We asked them how they wanted to deal with the situation and told people not to come if they didnā€™t feel safe. I donā€™t think weā€™re bullying people and it seems like people that work outdoors are more anxious about losing business than catching Covid.

I hope everybody who threatened a store employee for having to wear a mask, catches Covid and dies while only infecting other like minded individuals.

I know that is threading the needle but it is what it is. Their selfishness may kill people in life, but perhaps save people in death.

5 Likes

My buddy that knows the Grim Reaper attorney sent me this story about a bar from that same area:

1 Like

Nope, just Sweden and US

(and ā€˜Yesā€™ those number include deaths outside hospitals, unlike 95% of US stats)

Current non-US ā€˜hotspotsā€™ā€¦

1 Like

This is an election year. Unemployed pissed off people vote. Dead people do not. Chessmate.

2020 please stop

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/us/asian-giant-hornet-washington

2 Likes

I knew it because I went to Auschwitz when I was stationed in Europe. Like German Guy alluded it was fairly surreal.

Exponential, I see you.

Iā€™ve a horrible feeling Brazil and Moscowā€™s gonna feel the pain (ldo)

that straight blade isnā€™t going to cut for shit. Fucking amateurs.

10 Likes

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/articles/2020-04-30/coronavirus-cases-deaths-growing-at-faster-rates-in-rural-areas

We drove through rural Berks county today about 50 miles NW of Philly to support a restaurant that used to be part of our local farmers market.

Saw quite a few ā€œTrumpā€ houses. Saw that four emt/police folks in the general area of my small hometown in Michigan are positive.

These rural areas have no idea whatā€™s about to hit.

2 Likes

This just isnā€™t true. 3/4th is the country lives paycheck to paycheck and we wonder why they are freaking out about not being able to work.

It literally lowers your IQ.

Our only chance was a real emergency UBI that was bigger than most people make in a month. 4K for each adult for 3 months would of cost 2.5 trillion. Cheaper than what all the bailouts will end up costing us.

3 Likes

I agree with a lot of it, I just donā€™t say it out loud that much. Iā€™ve got a kid who depends on me so I canā€™t cash in my chips just yet but yeah Iā€™m pretty much over it. This country is beyond fucked and there is no way out of it if youā€™re not independently wealthy.

Weā€™re supposed to be giving people 4 months of +600 a week unemployment nationwide. I agree about UBI and you know Iā€™m the other major UBI proponent on this site.

None of this changes the fact that the American public voted for this political establishment that is playing this admittedly awful hand in the worst possible way so that we lose the maximum.

There are a lot of people living paycheck to paycheck who voted a straight GOP ticket, and there are a lot of supposedly intelligent people who voted for lousy candidates in this primary. Trying to claim that the voters arenā€™t responsible and arenā€™t reaping what they sowed is dangerous because it 1) infantilizes them and 2) suggests that they have nothing to learn from this covid experience.

1 Like

This is the part Iā€™m talking about not being true. Iā€™ve seen enough go fund me pages to know that the majority of this country has been on the brink of collapse for years.

Collectively we are all at fault but that is a completely different discussion.

A real emergency UBI plan could of sent a message to the citizens that your country loves you and we want you to stay home and be well.

4 Likes

Only 13 new cases in the CR today.

I mean itā€™s a holiday weekend and there are always fewer tests processed on weekends than weekdays but only 13 positives is pretty insane especially because just two days ago there were 103 positive tests.

Anyway the R0 went from 0.6 to 0.8 in the last couple of days because of the sudden removal of restrictions. Appears that the government is happy so long as that number stays below 1 and that they continue to have enough medical resources to handle the patients.

Despite that, 319 people are hospitalized with covid19 which is the lowest number since March 31st. There are a lot of mixed signals to be had but hopefully things are getting better.

Middle class in the us is the top 40%. Unless they got unlucky, which most of them didnā€™t, they really have been lucky in a historical sense. Itā€™s why theyā€™re so good at blaming the less lucky for their misfortune.

Itā€™s true when you remember that ā€œmiddleā€ class American means somebody in the 75th income percentile.

Also, the country canā€™t send a message of love and well being because it would be a lie.

Pony class amirite?

1 Like