COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Must be a telephoto lens you used.

8 Likes

I live in AZ. So, you’re already completely wrong. The GOP controls the State and has so for about 70 years. We have extremely liberal absentee voting rights.

At least in AZ, the absentee vote tends to tilt WAY to the left.

I assume this is a joke I missed yesterday but it was just taken with a cell phone camera from our car.

ETA-Oh I see suzzer’s article now. Lol.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/CharlieGileNBC/status/1256623908167520259?s=20

These fucking scumbags are trying to co-opt our guillotines!

12 Likes

Sorry but I need to know the lens used on every social distancing picture.

4 Likes

Yeah but you guys literally elect the FLAKiest people possible.

No, Trump is not selling coronavirus coins

A website called the White House Gift Shop has caused anger by selling coins “commemorating” the Covid-19 outbreak for $100 (£80) each.

US Senator Bernie Sanders was one of those infuriated by the coins. But the White House Gift Shop is a privately run online store with no direct connection to the White House or the Trump administration.

Its own website says it “operates independently of the US government”.

The coins, however, do exist and are being sold online. They show a coronavirus germ superimposed over a world map, with slogans such as: “Together we fought the unseen enemy” and “Everyday heroes suited up”. The website says profits will be donated to hospitals.

US death toll passes 65,000

The United States has by far the most deaths globally connected to the coronavirus, though proportionally it has had fewer deaths relative to population size than several countries in Europe (so far).

The death toll has now passed 65,000, with more than 1.1 million cases confirmed.

Here are some other developments from the US:

• The White House has blocked top health official Anthony Fauci from testifying to Congress on the government’s coronavirus response. It said it would be “counterproductive” to have individuals involved in the response testify
  • The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorised emergency use of the Ebola drug remdesivir for treating Covid-19
  • More states, including Idaho and Alabama, are loosening lockdown measures. Texas has lifted stay-at-home orders for its 29 million residents

GF and I just drove by our local Lowe’s and it was packed. Like more packed than I’ve ever seen it.

Seems a little weird, since I think hardware stores were essential businesses and were open all along. .

Before Suzzer asks…

Why Italy’s daily death toll jumped today

After a week where Italy’s daily death toll fell as low as 260, today’s official figure of 474 deaths in the past 24 hours seemed alarming.

The number seemed incomprehensible - especially given there are now just over 1500 patients in intensive care, down from a high of more than 4,000.

But then the explanation: 280 were previously unrecorded deaths from the northern region of Lombardy in April.

So the one-day death toll across the country in the past 24 hours is in fact 192, continuing the downward trajectory. It is the lowest daily rise since 14 March.

The number is still high and Italy remains the country with the second-highest number of deaths overall. But the figures are moving in the right direction and it seems Italy is gradually overcoming this killer.

2 Likes

Those are both really bad graphs, right?

I didn’t read it, trying to stay at least 85% happy and naive today… So I’ll just chime in that I’m pretty sure we’ve had incubation periods as long as 24 days, maybe 27 - that number stands out. But 14 days covers a 99% confidence interval. So it stands to reason there will be people who can spread it for a looooong time. But the guidelines should cover the vast majority.

We flattened the curve so this thing is over now!

On the life guard stand lol… Which one of you geniuses is this? We’ll never dunk on you for being a law bro ever again!

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1256309436731154432?s=09

2 Likes

We placed an order by phone for lettuce starter plants and compost for curbside pickup at our local garden center. Their website very prominently asks all customers to please do this if at all possible. Went to pick it up and the place was packed with customers streaming in and out of the entrance. We were the only vehicle in the spaces reserved for curbside pickup.

From what I remember this is fake and old. The dude was out there a long time ago protesting unsafe swimming or something and had nothing to do with the big rona.

Unless this is a copycat who saw the fake pictures being circulated and started to do it for real.